Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby opening a theatre
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: opening a theatre

opening a theatre 21 Jan 2008 21:22 #17362

• grvypearl
  • Fresh Boarder
My husband and I recently moved to a smallish town of about 15,000 in indiana just outside Indy. We noticed the old theatre when we first moved here. It is a small 2 screen theatre that has been closed for a little over a year. It is for sale or lease and we are playing around with the idea but have no clue as to what it takes to open and run a theatre. If anyone here could give me some general info it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what is still inside but assuming there is nothing, what are some basic costs of say screens, projectors, etc. We would want to do it as cheap as possible but without sacrificing quality. Any info would be appreciated.

Pearl

[This message has been edited by grvypearl (edited January 21, 2008).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: opening a theatre 21 Jan 2008 23:12 #17363

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This topic comes up pretty often. Probably the best start is to set your search window to show all topics, then spend a day or two reading the archives. Much of what you're looking for is in here now.

After that, take a look at your market. Where are people going now? Look at the theatre. If it was profitable, why did it close? Look at yourselves. Can you walk in to a business with no experience and make money where the last owner could not?

These challenges may not be insurmountable, though it's far from a sure thing. Twin theatres can also be difficult, unless all the ducks line up right.

If you do the basic homework, then decide you might have something worth looking into, you'll find plenty of help in forums like this.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited January 21, 2008).]

Re: opening a theatre 22 Jan 2008 13:54 #17364

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
"We would want to do it as cheap as possible but without sacrificing quality."

Please dont take this the wrong way but there are already a lot of very crappy theatres out there giving the motion picture exhibition industry a bad name. You are better off spending as much as you can afford and getting the best projection and sound equipment you can, taking the cheapest way out possible is a sure fire way to ensure that customers will not return. Do yourself a favor if you decide to do this and want to be successful hire a very good manager with a lot of experience and use them to help you plan and get the theatre opened. GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you are very succesful and bring the best possible movie going experience to your town!

Re: opening a theatre 22 Jan 2008 14:27 #17365

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I agree that you should get the best equipment you can afford. However, I know there is a lot of used, rebuilt or reconditioned equipment out there that will give you an excellent screen performance and for which parts are still available. This includes both picture and sound equipment. So you don't need to invest in new stuff. I would suggest you contact a reputable theatre supply company (American Cinema Equipment in Portland, Oregon is a good one) and inquire about rebuilt equipment and used seats (Tankersley in Denver is a good one for seats). Screen presentation is of top importance but comfort and ambiance is close behind.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction