Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Now that would be fun...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Now that would be fun...

Now that would be fun... 07 Jan 2008 23:41 #17306

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
Each year about this time I start thinking about going to Showest. I really enjoy meeting with other owners who face the same challenges that I do every day. Back in the day (before the internet) it was especially important to go because it was the only way to communicate and share effectively. Now with Bigscreenbiz and Film-tech we regularly talk with each other and going to the convention isn't quite as important..
I really dislike many things about Showest. It has evolved into a butt-kissing festival for the chain theatres. Each year, the independent theatres are ignored more and more. One year I submitted three great entries into the marketing and achievement awards only to get beat out by the manager of a Regal mega-plex who had a coloring contest in their lobby(LAME).
Now, if I could pick my perfect convention, I would meet with everyone who contributes to this site, and spend a few days sharing ideas and celebrating the accomplishments we achieved in the past year. I would love to pick the brain of Roxy. I would really enjoy meeting Tho Old Showman. I would have loved to sit down with John Pytlak (RIP) Or how about letting the film-gods over at film-tech conduct a few seminars on proper booth procedures. Lets also get the people over at cinematour show off all the classic theatres they find all over the country. And don't forget the great contributors at cinematreasures who could focus on the efforts all over the country to preserve our heritage.
I believe the independent theatre owners of our country are the heart and soul of our industry. They are in the business because they love it and not just to chase the buck. Their theatres tend to be an outlet for their artistic urges and that is what makes them showmen. Out theatres are so important to the vitality of the communities we live in and are an important link to it's social structure.
Going to a movie in a small community is a much different experience than going to the mega-plex in an urban area. I think that many of us can agree that while the mega-plex is the backbone of our industry financially, they are also the primary reason our industry is thought of so negatively by the public.
I believe we need to gather as a group and celebrate our contributions to this industry. What do you think?.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Now that would be fun... 08 Jan 2008 22:19 #17307

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I belong to a group of video store retailers that do the same exact thing for the same reasons. We meet twice a year in person for 2 days.

Having a place to meet can be a bit pricey in Vegas. But I know I would love to attend such a meeting. Just need someone to start organizing things.

Re: Now that would be fun... 09 Jan 2008 06:13 #17308

• WINGMAN
  • Fresh Boarder
So why not schedule it for the day after or for 2 days after showest?

That way we can see all the equipment and new things in the industry and then meet after showest to discuss what we had each learned and what is inportant to us the little guys.

FINDING A PLACE TO MEET ESPECIALY THIS YEAR WITH SUCH SHORT NOTICE SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM BECOUSE IT WOULD PROBULY BE A SMALL GROUP

OK THEN LITS DO IT

Firist we would need to know how many people would be interested in attending so send me an e mail if your interested and will see what we can set up

[This message has been edited by WINGMAN (edited January 09, 2008).]

Re: Now that would be fun... 11 Jan 2008 06:46 #17309

• WINGMAN
  • Fresh Boarder
WHO IS GOING TO SHOWEST THIS YEAR?

Re: Now that would be fun... 11 Jan 2008 12:50 #17310

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
we are!

Re: Now that would be fun... 11 Jan 2008 16:26 #17311

• JKR Partners
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
J K Roller Architects will be exhibiting at the tradeshow. I hope all at bigscreenbiz will stop by Booth Number 535 to say hello.

Re: Now that would be fun... 11 Jan 2008 20:16 #17312

• Senior Boarder
and we are...

Re: Now that would be fun... 11 Jan 2008 22:46 #17313

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll be there... butt-kissing with the chain theatres...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction