Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How to start my theater career?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to start my theater career?

How to start my theater career? 31 Dec 2007 00:40 #17112

• Dean_Siren
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi folks. I recently finished college and I have a lot of big ideas and enthusiasm for the movie theater business, so I want to get a full time entry level job in one and work my way up. I've been working at a one-hour photo while waiting for my break into a theater. Unfortunately, the theaters aren't
as eager to hire as I am to work. Two big ones, an AMC 16 and the Muvico Palace 20, said they don't hire full time entry level positions, only for management. When I asked the manager at Muvico the prereqs for her job, she named a lot of restaraunt management jobs, so she didn't get her start here. I told her all my eagerness for the biz: I attended ShowEast in 2006, I bought and watched all the NATO theater employee training tapes, I subscribe to Film Journal and Boxoffice, so she tried to make spaces in the schedule to hire me full time entry level, but after a few weeks she told me that business has been slower than expected, making it hard to fill even the hours of her part time staff. The Muvico manager was slow to commit to me because I already had a good job at Walgreens with medical benefits, and I didn't want to work two part time jobs now that I'm out of college, so she'd only call me if she could give me at least as good a deal as I already had, which she couldn't do, despite my enthusiasm.

The AMC didn't even give me an interview when I said I wanted to work full time.

There's one other hybrid arthouse/mainstream theater here in Boca Raton, FL called Sunrise Cinemas. I'll have to apply to them again to see what they say, but I'm hesitant to go there because they apparently have no digital strategy aside from showing ads, and I want to work for a forward thinking company.

How's December been for all your theaters? Better or worse than usual? And if somebody came to you asking for full time work with benefits, what could you offer?

20 miles away both north and south there are Emerging Pictures theaters, but being pure arthouse they're always tight for money, and could barely hire me part time, definitely no medical or dental.

With all the trouble I've had in south Florida getting a theater job, I've thought of looking to other states. Landmark Theaters sounds interesting, with their hybrid arthouse/mainstream lineup and unique, low-cost digital strategy, but after reading about them in Film Journal they sound awfully similar to the theaters I've seen in south Florida. I don't want to move out of state for a job I think I aught to be able to get 3 miles from home. Unless, perhaps, if they were more eager to hire full time than any of the theaters here. The nearest one to me is Atlanta.

I'm excited about the upcoming digital possibilites in the movie theater business and I want to get in and start working my way up, but I didn't think it would be so hard to get a full time entry level job with reasonable benefits. Traditional retailers have no trouble doing this, and I'm not leaving the safety of Walgreens until a good theater gives me a good, solid offer.

How did you guys start your careers? And what do you recommend I do? Should I work my way up in the company I'm in, then enter the theater biz as a manager? Is that really necessary?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to start my theater career? 31 Dec 2007 05:27 #17113

• WINGMAN
  • Fresh Boarder
KEEP YOUR FULL TIME JOB AND WORK PART TIME AT A LOCAL THEATER THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE HOW A THEATER WORKS FROM THE INSIDE AND THEN YOUR ALSO THERE WHEN SOMETHING CLOSER TO FULL TIME OPENS UP

OR

YOU MAY NEED TO LOOK OUT OF STATE

WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE SOON SO E MAIL US WHAT YOU ARE REALY LOOKING FOR AS A STARTING POSITION

[This message has been edited by WINGMAN (edited December 31, 2007).]

Re: How to start my theater career? 31 Dec 2007 12:33 #17114

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
MOST theatres do not hire full time staff right off the street. MOST positions in a theatre are part-time. Management jobs are full time, but you generally need experience. Theatres are notorious for not paying very well, or having great benefits. Managers, GM's and corporate staff fare better. I would recommend that you keep your full-time job with benefits, and just get an entry-level job at a local theatre. Everyone I know has worked their way up to the top by starting at the bottom. Tear tickets, sell tickets, sell concessions, clean theatres, work the booth, etc. You may discover you don't even like working in this environment. It really takes a special kind of person to WORK in a theatre and LOVE IT. Just going to movies and enjoying yourself are not reasons to be in the industry. Be prepared to give away all your weekends,evenings, and holidays. So, start at the bottom, work your way up, do a good job and you will be noticed by management. After you've been there a while, mention your interest in advancement.
Good Luck

Re: How to start my theater career? 31 Dec 2007 14:00 #17115

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Since you already have a good job with benefits and you are young and single, why not volunteer at a theater? If you offer them 10 hours/week of your time, I doubt any theater would turn you down and you could then move into a paying position and possibly more. This shows true enthusiasm and dedication. Basically, full time = experience.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction