Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising

Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 13 Dec 2007 00:32 #16963

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As I sit and watch the TV trailers for Sweeney Todd I have to grimmace.

Todd is being sold as a slasher thriller and target marketed to the teen audience. No where is there a mention that it is an operatic Broadway musical and that nearly 90% of the picture is sung.

While I am certain this sort of marketing will create an big opening weekend, a backlash seems likely as soon as the word gets out. Not to mention the problems that will be created for theatre operators trying to deal with bored teens who came expecting a traditional horror flick vs. the art house patrons trying to watch a musical. Good luck with that.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 13 Dec 2007 00:41 #16964

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
This is a slasher film if i ever saw one . Gore and violence with JOHN DEPP at the top of his game..No one will be bored!!!!!!1

Re: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 13 Dec 2007 00:45 #16965

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
MOVIEBUFF HAVE YOU EVER WORKED IN A THEATER???

Bored and backlash strange words to use since that almost never happens..

You are so negative..."fudge factor"

Re: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 13 Dec 2007 07:13 #16966

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
My thoughts are that I don't think anyone knows how to market Sweeney Todd unless thay market for both audiences of musical and violence.

As it is both a musical and violent which are two completely different unrelated markets.

The musical crowd is generally female and the violence is generally male. The females won't like the violence and the males won't like the music.

So my thoughts are that they have to market to both to get the biggest audience. Of which the marketers have probably said we will market just for the violence as that will be a bigger audience than the musical.
So from listening to what you have said they have decided to only concentrate on one market and not both. Where they probably should try to market to both.

Re: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 14 Dec 2007 01:15 #16967

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 14 Dec 2007 03:41 #16968

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You don't need to market it in a certain way. Everyone knows what the story is about. Plus you have Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.....need any more marketing?

Re: Sweeney Todd: Another Case of False Advertising 17 Dec 2007 05:35 #16969

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Jackers

I see your point. The actors names sell the movie.

Although there has been big names in movies, that are very good movies that have flopped.

To me I am still confused about the audience that will see this movie and which audience they should target.

It's a movie I am still very confused about I guess we just have to wait and see. But I think that having something different with the musical violence is something out of the ordinary and could either help it or hinder it. The studio I feel needs to over come the negatives somehow to get more people intrigued and watch the film.
If the word of mouth amongst the female audience and the critics is that it is too violent for women then I feel it could kill the film. It's up to the studio to market it in a way to overcome any objections of the female audience and to increase box office and to get the audience to watch Johnny Depp yet again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction