Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Golden Compass Part 2

Golden Compass Part 2 13 Nov 2007 16:15 #16907

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
So

[This message has been edited by rufusjack (edited November 13, 2007).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 13 Nov 2007 19:48 #16908

• sheri6363
  • Senior Boarder
We heard it might have less prints than expected. That would make the choice easier.I have spent a lot of time researching this film,I have come to the conclusion, I am not the movie censor for our community.We would play it if it is available.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 14 Nov 2007 18:00 #16909

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sheri6363:
We heard it might have less prints than expected. That would make the choice easier.I have spent a lot of time researching this film,I have come to the conclusion, I am not the movie censor for our community.We would play it if it is available. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To not play the film is not being a censor but a responsible member of the community. The film is an athiest's answer to "Chronicles Of Narnia" and God is killed off in the end. It is the author's stated purpose to destroy any vestige of God in American culture. If you wish to join him in his crusade it is, of course, your privilege. But as a former theatre owner and operator when it comes to supporting God's causes or Satan's causes I'll choose God. What kind of reputation do you want you theatre to have?

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 14 Nov 2007 19:06 #16910

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
When i hear what BOB ALLEN says i want to play it on all my screens..

It is not the theater owner that should ban a movie the public will vote with there wallet...

I play movie content all the time i dont believe in ...thats not my job to be the moral compass of America

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 14 Nov 2007 22:49 #16911

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
I agree 100% with Bob and I have proof he is right. In the towns where I own and book theatres, I will not play teen exploitation, horror, or overt social statement movies. I choose not to play these films in order to develop what I believe is the strongest possible demographic for my area...family films. I could sprinkle in the occasional gay cowboy movie for the few in my area who want to see that but I firmly believe that people notice what I play, or should I say what I DON'T play, and they trust that if they drop off their kids, they will not be exposed to the latest Hollywood garbage.
I have a great deal of respect for Bob Allen and his years of experience. Young theatre owners on this site would be well advised to consider his words and thoughts carefully.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 14 Nov 2007 22:55 #16912

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Since i have been doing this since 1983
i would no think of my self as young..but thankyou!
BOB ALLENS WORDS ARE HATEFULL BACKED BEHIND THE WORD GOD!

Theaters have to know there customers ,these kind of comments are out of line ..
Next no gay or black movies or Jews someone may not like it!

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 14 Nov 2007 23:23 #16913

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
I just re-read Bob's comments on this topic and I am hard pressed to find anything he said to be inappropriate. I do find his comments to be easy to read and his spelling seems to reflect his outstanding education.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 14 Nov 2007 23:29 #16914

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
We are all glad his spelling is good!
His words say play the GOLDEN COMPASS AND YOU SUPPORT SATANS CAUSES!

I am sure ORPHEUM you must be a great booker with this kind of open mind.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 01:17 #16915

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hmmm. It's interesting that if someone states that it isn't censorship to choose films for a theater based on personal beliefs or a sense of community responsiblity that anyone could argue against that point so strongly. What's wrong with using one's own values to book films?

Theaters are more like bookstores than libraries. They are not required to carry every book, just what they want to try to sell. Some bookstores are even labeled "Christian Bookstore". The public library could never provide such a narrow selection of content. If our theaters become "public theaters" instead of private businesses, then not showing a film might be censorship.

If a person doesn't stand up for their personal beliefs, then why bother to have any?

Let's try to avoid personal attacks. The forum seems much more professional without them.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 02:35 #16916

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
No more on this subject from me ....I guess i am going to hell as i ran the world premiere of LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST...

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 12:55 #16917

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
There is an old saying "It takes a village to raise a child". As exhibitors we are part of that village with one of the most powerful tools for influencing our youth available to man. With that powerful tool comes great responsibility. I started in this business in 1945 as a young teen and remained in it until 1971 when I switched to broadcasting. I returned to exhibition in '04 and have managed both multiplexes and a single screener since.

I have seen "Hollywood" deteriorate to the point of being generally a negative influence in the lives of our youth as it fosters an appetite for violence, profanity and sexual promiscuity. As an exhibitor I can make the choice to be a positive influence in my village by selecting films that do not contain those elements (none of which add to or are necessary in the telling of a story).
Many films in the last few year have been carried on the strength of their special effects (blood and gore) or sexuality at the expense of a story line. And the trend seems to be continuing. I am shamed by that as I see an industry to which I devoted more than a quarter of a century of my life and which I love dearly going down the toilet.

It is not my intention to tell any fellow exhibitor what to play or not play. We are free to do what we want. I'm just casting my vote for "non-corruptive" product and standing unashamedily for being a responsible member of the community.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 13:10 #16918

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
My biggest problem with this whole issue is that the evangelicals that are so screaming against the film are using mis-information. They say the movie was "watered down" so that afterwards children will be encouraged to get the book and get the real message. I can say one thing... New Line doesn't CARE about book sales. They probably watered it down a bit to make it less offensive so as to appeal to a larger audience. What they don't seem to understand is that by making a fuss, they are ensuring that more people are going to buy a ticket to the movie. If you don't agree with the film, vote with your wallet - don't go. If a pastor were to preach a sermon about how evil the film is, half his parishioners would be buying a ticket the next week to see "what it's all about." That being said, I am booking this film in all of my locations for which a print is available. We don't tell the churches what to preach about on Sunday. We're not forcing their parishioners to buy tickets. Where were these churches when Saw came out? Surely that's more offensive to their religious beliefs than The Golden Compass. That's just my opinion. And, I'm a practicing Lutheran.

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 14:28 #16919

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Right on Mike!

One thing that disgusts me about the church community is their protesting the "bad" films and not supporting the "good" films.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 16:59 #16920

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I second that right on Mike.

And the point about not supporting the "good" films.

I also never understood this either. You will hear all this noise from them when a movie is being released in a theatre. But not a squeak when it comes out on DVD.

Is the message they are against in a specific film. So much more dangerous presented in a theatre? Vs watching it probably "uncut" on a DVD at home?

Re: Golden Compass Part 2 15 Nov 2007 18:47 #16921

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
In my experience, that particular audience makes lots of noise and believe they have influence over boxoffice. The facts seem to indicate the opposite. I have been the target of two organized boycotts by church groups at former theatres I have managed. In both cases business actually went up due to the publicity generated. Thats where the phrase- "no such thing as bad publicity" comes from I guess.

I look forward to playing this film at my new theatre as the owners have decided to allow the marketplace to decide.
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction