Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Holiday Films

Holiday Films 09 Sep 2003 00:58 #16867

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Anyone have any suggestions for a Christmas film to run for a matinee in December?? It would need to be gears towards children 4-12 years old. As much as I love "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation",I don't believe it would be a ggod choice. Anyone have any luck at booking "Muppets Christmas Carol" , "Ernest Saves Christmas", "A Christmas Story" , or "Jingle All The Way"? Any idea what the rental was on any of these titles. I'd like to run an early matinee show(s) on a Fri, Sat, and Sun. Any help would be greatly appreciated (as usual)!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Holiday Films 09 Sep 2003 02:08 #16868

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Here are some I have run which DON'T have a Christmas theme, but are really great for that age group AND will also keep adults entertained... The Railway Children (British, Universal was the distributor)... Black Beauty (there are several versions)... Journey of Natty Gann (BV)... Swiss Family Robinson (BV)... The Secret Garden ('93 WB)... These were flats when I bought them, but now???... Most Christmas themed films usually SUCK, but these are quality!...

Re: Holiday Films 09 Sep 2003 20:49 #16869

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Don't forget "The Grinch"--Universal was pretty easy to work with last year--had 2 prints I floated from town to town.

Re: Holiday Films 03 Dec 2007 16:32 #16870

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I thought I'd dust off this old post and see if anybody has some new ideas. I've been approached by the local elementary school about bringing all of their kids in for a couple of special shows. Trouble is, I don't want to use up one of my first run shows as then the families of these little tykes won't come and it'll end up hurting biz. So, the idea is to bring in a repertory title and let them have that. I may then have a publci show or two of the repertory title as well. Since it is for the very young up to tweens it needs to be "G" rated. A Christmas theme is a bonus but is not necessary. They want to do this on the 21st (the last day of school) so I need to start moving quickly. Thanks, in advance, for all suggestions
"What a crazy business"

Re: Holiday Films 03 Dec 2007 17:15 #16871

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Good luck on "G"! I have had great success with a couple school groups recently with "Underdog" and one that got buried this summer that is also not on video yet--"Daddy Day Camp" both are enjoyed by the ages you mentioned (along with the teachers!)

Re: Holiday Films 03 Dec 2007 20:43 #16872

Home Alone?

I did ET this past weekend and the kids loved it - it holds up incredibly well. can you play DVDs?

Swiss Family Robinson - thats a good thought - i always thought that was a Disney property? they always give me the hardest time. They wouldn't let me play Herbie the Love Bug - its 44 years old AND out on DVD.

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 00:56 #16873

• 4thGen
Our Free Matinee Series this year is

Dec. 1 Shrek the Third
Dec. 8 Underdog
Dec. 15 Daddy Day Camp
Dec. 22 Ratatouille

This is the first year in quite a while I have been able to book Disney shows for our series. They are a little more expensive than the other shows but I think its worth it. Gets harder and harder every year to find something that hasn't hit DVD yet. As mentioned above the old movies may work well too but once some of the studios move the films to their classics division the cost can go up even further. Anyone know of a print of "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken" being available? Thats my favorite matinee memory from my childhood.

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 01:53 #16874

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi, 4th Gen;

Last time I inquired about a print on The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, was told either (a) there was no print, or (b) there was a print, but only bookable for reel-to-reel houses. Can't remember which. However, if you want to ask, contact Paul Ginsburg ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) at Universal's repertory department in LA.

LT

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 09:38 #16875

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I was told by my booker earlier this year I could book the film and pay the film company their normal rental fee but show a DVD. That way we don't have to pay shipping and the problem of them having a good film print. I don't remember if all the companies will do this or only some. Maybe this will help you.

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 11:35 #16876

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
We were told by Universal that they only had 2 useable prints of The Grinch left and they were booked solid.
We went Elf and The Polar Express for our 2 Saturday morning Toy Drive shows. Both Warner Brothers and New Line said we could use DVDs. Have also been able to work with Fox and Paramount on DVDs, but our booker told us that Universal said absolutely not. Don't know about Disney. We have never been able to book one of their films for special kid showings. Have they changed their policy? Polar Express is through Warner Brother Classics and is higher as well as having to pay higher shipping costs.

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited December 04, 2007).]
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 12:38 #16877

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Haven't checked with Disney lately, but no matter what you won't be able to book their classic animation titles in any format.

The only major I know of at the moment that will not allow DVD theatrical bookings is Sony.

Universal definitely does through Paul Ginsburg, who I mentioned in a previous post.

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 16:35 #16878

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We just ran a free show of "Polar Express" this past Saturday and were sold out - over 400 people.
We did killer in the concession stand, and broke even on the print because downtown biz association picked up cost of film rental and shipping.

Did "Polar Express" 2 years ago as well and turned people away.

Guess you can figure out what movie we will be doing again next year.

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 18:02 #16879

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Some Disney titles are available through Swank. I did "Santa Claus" one year through them, but the fine print is really a pain--as in you can not commercially advertise the title, and there was a limit on how many could attend the showing--things like that. Otherwise, Swank is very nice to work with, they just have to follow Disney's policies.

Re: Holiday Films 04 Dec 2007 18:47 #16880

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have never booked anything through Swank. I have read under various topics here about how they say you cannot advertise a title. I really don't understand that. What is their reasoning?

Re: Holiday Films 05 Dec 2007 09:48 #16881

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think you can get the print through Swank but they can not grant public performance rights. If they have a working print and the studio does not then couldn't you still get the public performance rights through the studio and the film from Swank?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction