Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby a whole day without a new post?!?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: a whole day without a new post?!?

a whole day without a new post?!? 28 Nov 2007 20:05 #16837

i cant let that happen!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 28 Nov 2007 23:21 #16838

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Not much time to do anything but work these days !Nice to see things so busy!!

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 29 Nov 2007 14:59 #16839

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Xmas decor, xmas free matinees, 1 blown projector, caught doubling a print by a distrib: it's been a great week!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 29 Nov 2007 20:06 #16840

oooh - caught! I only have one screen but I like to think that given the opportunity I would do lots of bad things like that

only xmas decor? no Chanukah and kwanza?

[This message has been edited by The Picture House (edited November 29, 2007).]

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 29 Nov 2007 22:05 #16841

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
So, we want the tell-all version, Mike.

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 29 Nov 2007 23:33 #16842

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Getting caught violating a contract is one of those areas where the studios really tend to punish the small exhibitor but often let the big boys slide.

About 20 years ago a friend of mine had a twin theatre with two adjacent auditoriums: the large auditorium #1 which held several hundred seats and the small auditorium #2 which only had a about 200 seats. My friend had a Paramount picture booked in Cinema #1. Because the picture was not doing any business he moved it from Cinema #1 (where it had been contracted for) into the Cinema #2 auditorium. He did not tell Paramount. He did not even change the ads. Somehow Paramount found out and even though Paramount got all shows in Cinema #2 and there was no revenue loss whatsoever (the picture was a dog) Paramount still took him off service for several months for violating the contract.

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 30 Nov 2007 00:40 #16843

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
We rarely book by firm auditorium they dont even ask most of the time....

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 30 Nov 2007 06:29 #16844

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
really?? they contract a film into a certain cinema?? We have been told to put certain films in the biggest cinemas..and if they are blockbusters we would anyway..but if its not, then they can bugger off..its our business where things go..i can't believe they would stop someone getting films over something like that...the distributors really are crazy sometimes

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 30 Nov 2007 11:16 #16845

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
PIEMAN -

If you read your film rental contracts closely (something which a lot of movie theatre owners admittedly do not do), it may specify which auditorium a given picture has to play in. Where this situation most often happens today is where you have a multiplex with only one large auditorium and there are competing blockbusters out in release at the same time such as this past summer. Each distributor (naturally) wants its current blockbuster picture in the biggest theatre in the complex. The contract may sometimes then specify that said picture must remain in the biggest house for xx number of days, weeks, shows etc depending on what the distributor demands and what the owner can negotiate.

In certain rare circumstances the contract may even specify the number of shows per day that the exhibitor must run and even sometimes the start times of those shows. Look for example at your contracts regarding advance midnight and 8PM/10PM day before openings and what they say you can do and not do for those showings.
[HISTORICAL NOTE: Desigated number of weekly shows with specified start times was often the way roadshow reserved seat contracts were written back in the 60's]

Now as a practical matter the theatre owner does whatever it wants to. But every so often the studios do hire blind checkers to make sure that the theatre is following its contractual obligations: such as which designated auditorium, whether you are playing required trailers, violating a no rolling stock advertising policy (Disney), splitting the screen with another picture when not permitted to do so, etc etc.

Again as a practical matter when one of the big boys gets caught for violation the contract, the theatre owner usually does a "mea culpa" and promises not to do it again and that is the end of it. However that is not always the case with the little guys.

In all fairness my Paramount story above occurred at a time when Paramount was on a tear to prove how difficult they could be and over the years they have mellowed their ways.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited November 30, 2007).]

Re: a whole day without a new post?!? 30 Nov 2007 13:16 #16846

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I try to take as little crap from a film company as i can.I pay every thursday night and give then no reason to. But i dont beg for movies and if you dont want to play here there are 20 companies that do......
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction