Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boxoffice False Prophets

Boxoffice False Prophets 11 Nov 2007 22:08 #16757

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It is a testament to our capitalist system that anyone with a webserver and some time to develop a website can claim to be an expert who can predict movie boxoffice outcomes.

I have found it particularly hilarious to follow the weekly predictions and pontifications of those who man the "Boxofficeprophets" (BOP) website; only my local weather forecaster is wrong more often than these people are. It appears the BOP writers do not bother to apply their own analysis, but rather regurgitate the hype of studio publicity machines combined with the consensus of the ubiquitous "analysts" (whoever they may be) - all delivered with the same certainty as Madame Helga reading her chicken entrails.

A few recent examples. On Friday BOP predicted that "Fred Claus" would open to nationally to approximately 31 million. Anyone who thinks that caustic Vince Vaughn could open a Christmas picture about Santa Claus in the 30 million dollar range has to be from the planet KangandKudos. (Fred Clause opened to 19 Million). BOP also predicted that "Lions For Lambs" would open this weekend at 12.4 Million (Lions could only manage 6.7). Last weekend BOP predicted only a 30 Million opening for "American Gangster" (Actual take over 43 Million).

I am sure it does not matter to the BOP site's advertisers whether the the predictions contained within are right or wrong - so long as the website generates a certain number of daily hits. Pity the unsuspecting public which is subjected to multiple ads for subprime mortgages, netflix, and colon cleanse (in an obnoxious "pop-under" format).

What the heck. I guess it beats it working at a real job.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited November 11, 2007).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Boxoffice False Prophets 12 Nov 2007 09:25 #16758

Fred Clause did 19 mil? thats 18.5 more than i woulda guessed...

Re: Boxoffice False Prophets 12 Nov 2007 10:56 #16759

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The theatr I saw it had it on 3 screens and while they wer enot sellouts they wer all at capcaity and everyone enjoyed it. Ut was even packed last night.

Re: Boxoffice False Prophets 12 Nov 2007 11:06 #16760

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I passed on LIONS FOR LAMS and glad i did/..Fred Clause came out a week to soon ..How do these film company bookers (some)keep there jobs...............

Re: Boxoffice False Prophets 18 Nov 2007 13:03 #16761

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
On its Friday predictions for this weekend (Nov 16-18) BOP 'guessed' that Beowulf would only open to 19.4 million nationally. The unofficial estimate is 28.1 million.

I gotta start a prediction website. I could throw darts at a board and get better results than BOP!

Re: Boxoffice False Prophets 18 Nov 2007 13:14 #16762

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Beowulf is an amazing movie. While digital 3D is unbelievable the movie on a regular 35 mm format is still a wonder.
I saw it in both formats and the audience reaction was still the same.

Re: Boxoffice False Prophets 19 Nov 2007 19:21 #16763

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I like the guru for predictions and the prophets for explanations after the fact. Mojo is good for data.
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction