Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week?

Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week? 15 Nov 2007 13:12 #16750

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I am looking deeply into taking over a single-screen theater that is currently in operation. The current owner changes movies each week- the same movie is very rarely held over for two weeks. They are mostly move-over, but are sometimes first-run (I'm not sure how he gets by with anything less than 3 weeks on a first-run, but that's a different story).

I can understand that having a variety of movies on a single-screen is desirable, but aren't you shooting yourself in the foot with such a short run? When paying $2,300 for a "Narnia" rental, for example, it's not given the chance to fully realize its potential before it is replaced and therefore does not generate enough to even pay for the rental.

Generally speaking, wouldn't it be wiser to hold over a movie (not a flop, of course) for multiple weeks, even on a single-screen, and pay a lower overall percentage? Or is it possible to actually generate more by showing a new movie each week and inticing a more frequent attendance by the same patrons? At an average of 2.5 movies/year/person in a population of around 9,000, I just don't see it.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week? 15 Nov 2007 13:27 #16751

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
9000 people should be enough to support the theater.Hold overs on move overs will not help you much as you should already be at the lowest % on the first week ..
1st run he may get just because they want to play the area and will take a 1 week run.

It sounds like he puts upfront money for 1st run and in that case 1 week run sounds odd..

Re: Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week? 15 Nov 2007 13:33 #16752

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
this sounds like my theater alot. Mine is single screen and is 140 seats and we charge $4 for all shows. We are a move-over and usually pay 35%. We rarely hold over a movie and try to turn things over quickly. We once in awhile have been opening new pictures (I hope for it to become once a season or so). For instance, I will be opening Enchanted next week and hopefully it is going to earn its' second week on its' own merits but only time will tell (I sure wish they'd promote it more but that is another story). I often get business with regulars and see them if not every week then certainly monthly. If I were to hold stuff over a lot then my variety would suffer and my regulars would find somewhere else to go. Once in awhile I even do a split to increase the variety even more but that doesn't work out very well sometimes.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week? 15 Nov 2007 15:06 #16753

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Our setup is similar to what leeler does. We're also a single screen with 240 seats and charge $4 per seat. We usually get most of our movies 3-6 weeks after their release, most of the time paying 35%. On occasion, we'll open a movie brand new and play it for 2 weeks.

We have a very loyal customer base. Many of our patrons come in almost every week to our theater, no matter what's playing. While doing one movie a week can be a pain in the tuchas during the summer and holiday seasons because we have to pick and choose from a wide range of films, the rest of the year we're usually stumped as far as what to show since there aren't many choices to pick from.

This setup works well for us. We're in such as small location that we doubt our attendance would do well if we kept a film for more then one week. Generally when we advertise our films, people know it's for only one week and they know that if they want to see it that they'll have to come that weekend to see it. Only on rare occasions will we hold over a film.

Re: Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week? 16 Nov 2007 16:43 #16754

'except a flop'....... you figure out how to book only winners on my single screen you can be my new booker.

Re: Single-screeners: Showing a different movie each week? 16 Nov 2007 17:10 #16755

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Ha ha! What, you mean you didn't get your crystal ball from Box Office magazine last year???

What I meant was holding over a flop for a second week after realizing it's a flop in the first week.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction