Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby New theaters vs. the old guys.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New theaters vs. the old guys.

New theaters vs. the old guys. 10 May 2001 17:03 #1646

• Slim
  • Fresh Boarder
Pearl Harbor, Tomb Raider, and Jurassic Park III. All HUGE movies this summer, all movies our new, state of the art theater are NOT getting. The reason, the guy that owns the old and rundown theaters in our town has called in his favors. The man does not, and never has, cared about the community or the quality of presentation in his businesses. Have any of you ever had a similar experience, and how do you deal with it? We know that everyone in the city would rather come to the new building, especially considering the other places condition and history of bad presentation. But, we are told, there is nothing we can do!!!! This is going to significantly cut in to our summer counts, making that all important first year in business that much more difficult. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New theaters vs. the old guys. 10 May 2001 19:36 #1647

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
This sounds like "rotation" wherein theatres take turns from distributors due to anti-trust laws. Is this the case here? If you built near a older theatre then you don't simply get to take the big pictures and drive him out of business but you have to share the market. Unless it's a big enough market where you can go day and date/ film for film. In our area an older theatre with 2 screens and a good booker is getting Shrek and has Mummy. That has to HURT the 10 screen up the road. Tell us more.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: New theaters vs. the old guys. 11 May 2001 22:20 #1648

• Slim
  • Fresh Boarder
I understand sharing pictures, but come on. They have the Mummy, they are getting Shrek, Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park III, Tomb Raider. We MAY get Atlantis and Final Fantasy. The point is that this place is getting almost every sure-fire money maker, and we MAY get some of the maybe-maybe nots. I am having a hard time (as are alot of the people in town) understanding the logic behind it. We'll have to deal with it, but it hardly seems logical or fair.

Re: New theaters vs. the old guys. 12 May 2001 22:39 #1649

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Are you paying your film rentals on time? I know of a small chain close by that has been late at paying their bills and their local competition has quite the summer line up. Out of all possible films they are getting Pearl Harbor, basically the rest are showing right down the street. This hasn't happened before. Plus, their dts sucks, and bad sound in two of their other auditoriums doesn't help matters either.

Re: New theaters vs. the old guys. 13 May 2001 01:29 #1650

• Slim
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting question. We are a brand new theater, and have a good record with all of the businesses we work with. Let's just say that the other guy does not. Without going into specifics, as I used to work for the other guy, I can tell you that we had to switch vendors for concessions as well as beverage brands/suppliers because of his inability to pay bills anywhere near on time. I know this is unrelated to the distributors bills, but is probably a pretty good indication of how he handles his bills.

Re: New theaters vs. the old guys. 15 May 2001 21:42 #1651

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Are you booking yourself or do you have a booker? If you have a booker, how are your booker's other clients in other markets fairing? Translation: what is the status of your booker with the distribs? You need a powerful ally in your corner to lobby for you in the allocation process. Booking is always a fight over big films, but remember every year there are sleepers that are big hits that no one predicted and there are big expensive look like huge hit bombs that detonate.

Does your area have a population that will support alternative fare? How about some quality art films as an alternative to all the teen flicks. Are you doing a kid series? You can make good money relatively easily on a good kids film series and the film rental is cheap. This kind of programming can help make the difference between profit and loss.

Like MovieGuy said, pay your film rental bills promptly. Nothing speaks louder to distribs than collection problems. Also, play to policy. Watch your competitor - if he's violating policy have your booker notify the studio.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction