• Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
ENCHANTED---4 STARS
ATONMENT----2 STARS
RUN FAT BOY RUN- 3 STARS
JUNO---5 STARS
P.S. I LOVE YOU---4 STARS
GRAce--2 stars//
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SHOWEAST 18 Oct 2007 13:47 #16293

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Didn't see enchanted. Agree with your ratings however on the other films. I think PS will be the highest grosser of the bunch.
Star power vertually non existant this year-30 seconds of Cusack is the high point so far. Plenty of time to meet vendors -very low traffic -good for us not for them

Re: SHOWEAST 18 Oct 2007 17:22 #16294

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Showeast is just one of many marketing gimmicks whose time has come and gone - blunted by the rise and power of the internet.

Same with the trade mags - with all the information on the net does anyone bother to subscribe to Boxoffice or Film Journal anymore?

Re: SHOWEAST 20 Oct 2007 23:14 #16295

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Forget Box office. There subscription($50.00) is outragous and there is nothing in there for the indy theatre owner anymnore.
They used to have that indy feature, were every month the would feature and indy theatre with a story and pictures.....No More.
Everything is digital and Muliplex stories.

Re: SHOWEAST 21 Oct 2007 09:01 #16296

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I had a great time and got a lot done..worth the money.........

Re: SHOWEAST 21 Oct 2007 13:17 #16297

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
ShowEast was horrible this year...the trade show sucked... they only served one REAL meal (I don't count hot dog/hamburger buffets, chicken caesar salads, etc.). The screenings are the only reason to go. I spend most of my time in meetings outside of the regular activities anyways, since there's nothing worth doing/seeing there. I remember when we had a real meal twice/day. ShoWest has declined as well, but not this much. Hopefully NATO will hijack it back from Nielsen, and change it from a cash cow to something useful for the cinema owners.

Re: SHOWEAST 21 Oct 2007 13:18 #16298

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
While the internet is a powerful means of information it can not replace going to the tradeshow. When I was shopping for seats I spent a lot of time at different vendors -sitting, standing, poking , abusing the different seats to get a feel of how they would stand up. As an independent the tradeshow is a very valuable source of hands on information. In 2006 I bought a floor model popcorn machine that I liked. I saved $500 by buying the one at the tradeshow rather than ordering one from the company. This year I learned more about the rebate programs that the big three candy vendors offer-over the next couple of years this will pay my showeast expenses several times over.
While I have my issues with the rest of Showeast, the tradeshow is a fantastic resource well worth the expense to get to.

Re: SHOWEAST 21 Oct 2007 16:37 #16299

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Showeast started out as a local trade show put together by the PA-NJ-MD theatre owners. Nice little regional (almost family like) get together held in Philly and later in Atlantic City. It was first and foremost a tradeshow.

But then it got hijacked to Florida as a way to make money for Disneyworld ..... and its been downhill ever since.

In exchange for letting them move it to Florida, I know that the local Pennsylvania NATO organization got a rather large "financial remuneration" (which is a much more polite term than "kickback").

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited October 21, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited October 22, 2007).]

Re: SHOWEAST 21 Oct 2007 16:41 #16300

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
2009 it moves to MIAMI...

Re: SHOWEAST 21 Oct 2007 20:33 #16301

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
The first showeast I went to was in the late 80's or early 90's and it was in Orlando then it went to Atlantic City and I think Atlanta was in there too before it moved to Orlando again.

What was the best part of showeast? The other small theatre owners I got to talk to. I learned what others are building and thinking and not the chains but the small guys like me. You have to work the floor and seek out others like yourself and listen.

[This message has been edited by dsschoenborn (edited October 21, 2007).]

Re: SHOWEAST 22 Oct 2007 13:29 #16302

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Friday, after the show, I took the redneck's tour via the backest roads I could find and drove to Melbourne beach in my convertible. Coming back into town I was passing the Orlando airdrome when I decided to pull over and allow a huge jet to land over my head. Right there, where I had pulled over, was a turtle about 1/2 a football helmet big. Since his otions were limited by a 4 lane interstate and a chain link fence with 20' of grass in between I grabbed him and heaved his 6.5 pounds (Fed Ex scale) into the back seat. He hung out in the hotel pool, aka my tub, and the next day I dropped his big scarred (had a major ding / hole that had been fiberglassed once) off at a state park lake where there is only one very small road into the wilds. Common Cooter. I perched him on the edge of the lake. he'd been shy and had barely moved for the last day. His head slowly came out and he looked over his shoulder at me and dove as fast as a , a, a , reptile! He could move real fast when he wanted to. That made the whole Show East trip the best ever.

They are moving the show to Miami. Is it just me or is there less and less about MOVIES and more and more awards and photos of corporate types who get paid while they do their volunteer work, etc. etc. Where are the product reels? Where are the trailer DVD? It is built too much around high level muck-muck schmoozing. After 13 years of shows and doing bigscreenbiz I've made a lot of friends in the biz. I was happy that I got to see so many people and visit. The trade show is important and the screenings are a must. They do need to think hard and long: how to make it more inclusive and relevant. I'll be at Show West.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: SHOWEAST 24 Oct 2007 10:40 #16303

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike,

Did you answer your own question about product reels in another post when you said most of that is online now days? I really enjoy the preview channel the show does at the hotel. We tend to watch that the whole week to make sure we don't miss any.

Re: SHOWEAST 24 Oct 2007 13:15 #16304

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
anyone have an intermission for lust caution?

Re: SHOWEAST 24 Oct 2007 18:11 #16305

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I don't think the fact that you can see trailers on-line is an excuse for not showing us product reels or providing us with a trailer DVD. Yes you could watch this stuff on line but I guess the same could be said for movies. I pay 850.00 to go to these shows and I think there should be real and useful materials and information that comes from attending. It's obviously less expensibve and easier for all concerned to not give the dvd's or reeels but it does not help me one bit.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: SHOWEAST 25 Oct 2007 09:20 #16306

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
You are correct Mike. In fact since they already have the product reels put together for the show channel in the hotel all they would have to do is make copies of that. That would not cost them very much at all since I am sure the cost is in the production of the content which they are doing anyway.

Neilson may take suggestions since I am sure want to keep the contract with NATO.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction