Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Question about etiquette...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question about etiquette...

Question about etiquette... 19 Sep 2007 19:17 #16042

• graphix
  • Fresh Boarder
My partner and i are in the process of putting together a business plan for a 3 screen first run inde/foreign theater. The closest theater with the same concept is a 10 screen about 40 miles away. If we were to ask them some questions about operations and ask for a tour of their projection rooms, do you think we would be met with enthusiastic help or would they be more likely to be defensive and consider us competition. I would hate to step on toes so early in the game.
thanks
Brendan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question about etiquette... 19 Sep 2007 22:09 #16043

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I would suggest you go further away for your query. Maybe 100 miles.

Re: Question about etiquette... 19 Sep 2007 23:09 #16044

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I agree with Burney

Re: Question about etiquette... 20 Sep 2007 11:24 #16045

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
I would just ask them.. some people are friendly..some aren't..we are friendly with the closest cinema to us, they are about 40 miles away too and also independant with 3 screens. There is a chain cinema 40 miles the other way, but we don't really know them. Though sometimes we do swap movie posters and films if need be.

Re: Question about etiquette... 20 Sep 2007 16:33 #16046

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
If there is even a whiff of competition it would be dicey. If it's a chain you may get the corporate NO. I would suggest that you truly identify someone just like what you are doing and go visit them wherever they are. Movie theatre owners love each other. As long as they're 50 miles away from each other. Feel free to visit my theatres 3 screen and a 2 screen. As long as you're 50 miles away.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Question about etiquette... 21 Sep 2007 14:01 #16047

• graphix
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your replies everyone...i think i probably should have also mentioned that the population within 15 miles of them is 850,000 and for us around 150,000 so honestly dont see us being any competition to them, i will prolly start with a phone call and try and feel it out a bit.
thanks
B

Re: Question about etiquette... 24 Sep 2007 13:02 #16048

• graphix
  • Fresh Boarder
i dont want to start new threads for every question i have so ill just ask here.

I tried to find these stats by searching but havent had much luck.

On average what percentage of your weekly grosses comes from friday and saturday night. (my guess was prolly 2/3 to 3/4)

thanks
B

Re: Question about etiquette... 24 Sep 2007 14:36 #16049

• graphix
  • Fresh Boarder
hmmm also is there any rules about how many seats one screen can support given the area population? If you had a 400 seat main screen and 150,000 people within 15 miles... would it be possible to fill that room most friday and saturday nights...or do you think it will end up being half empty most of the time....would it be better to have 2 smaller screens instead? If you make the main screen an attraction within itself (IE Coolidge corner theater) would it be worth it to maintain its size?

Re: Question about etiquette... 24 Sep 2007 21:00 #16050

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes, in most instances, the more screens you have the better. More choices=more potential customers. Think about it this way, if you open a movie in your single screen and it bombs, your stuck... But if you have two screens one can bomb and hopefully the other do some business. Even better yet-Both are busy...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction