Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby serve beer and wine?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: serve beer and wine?

serve beer and wine? 11 Sep 2007 10:58 #16024

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Screentrade Magazine is doing an article and would like to hear from you if you serve beer or wine......

"Do you know of a cinema that offers beer/wine/alcohol? We're interested in doing an article on the adventure of so doing.

Thanks!

Pam

Pamala Stanton
North America Representative
Screentrade Media Ltd.
P.O. Box 24
Spring Lake, MI 49456
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it www.screentrademagazine.co.uk"

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: serve beer and wine? 11 Sep 2007 11:08 #16025

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
We serve over 4o beers and about 15 wines but no hard stuff........

Re: serve beer and wine? 11 Sep 2007 12:06 #16026

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
There's a drive-in in Florida that serves beer. It's frosty-cold and goes great with their pizzas.

As customers, we got a great kick out of eating pizza and downing a cold one, out on one of their picnic tables. As an owner though, I can't see how this would be good for me. Somehow, I've never been able to resolve the notion that we'd be supplying alcohol to people who'd be DRIVING out of our place. I've never even bothered to ask what that would do to our insurance coverage!

Re: serve beer and wine? 11 Sep 2007 18:52 #16027

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
The Big Picture cinema in Seattle (and now Redmond too). They serve a wide variety of alcoholic beverages. Very swanky and fun.
http://www.thebigpicture.net

I've been told the trick to limiting your liability is to document that each customer receives no more than two drinks. If they drink more before or after their visit to your theater, you're covered if they get into an accident. People also drive out of indoor theaters, restaurants, etc. How do you handle this issue, Slap?
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: serve beer and wine? 12 Sep 2007 13:24 #16028

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodeojack:
As an owner though, I can't see how this would be good for me. Somehow, I've never been able to resolve the notion that we'd be supplying alcohol to people who'd be DRIVING out of our place. I've never even bothered to ask what that would do to our insurance coverage!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack-

Don't people drive to restaurants and bars when they have a drink? Don't many people drive home from and baseball, football, and hockey games? How is the drive-in any different, just because they spend more time in their car? They are still driving to and from the venue.

I do not think the drive-in is the right place to sell beer, but my reason is not because of the drunk driving issue, it has more to do with establishing a family atmosphere.

Rick Cohen
Transit Drive-in
Buffalo, New York
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: serve beer and wine? 12 Sep 2007 14:53 #16029

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, that's a good point too, Rick. It could be that I'm just voicing my personal reservations about this. In the end, it's probably just not for me.

Re: serve beer and wine? 12 Sep 2007 23:36 #16030

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
I have a full liquor license but we cannot serve at movies as movies are not considered entertainment in New Hampshire! My license restricts service to events featuring entertainment. Chunkys is a local chain of movie pubs that can serve during movies because they operate under a restaurant license. I cant do that because I dont have a kitchen.

Re: serve beer and wine? 14 Sep 2007 16:26 #16031

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdetzler:
...movies are not considered entertainment in New Hampshire!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what DOES New Hampshire consider movies if not entertainment???

Out of curiousity, have you ever looked to see what New Hampshire considers the definition of "kitchen"? You may get away with just installing a stove and- viola! New kitchen! There is a small theater in Port Orford WA that is required to have two sinks for the FDA, so they have one that doesn't work upstairs in a closet in the projection booth... but it satisfies the requirement.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: serve beer and wine? 20 Sep 2007 06:35 #16032

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah I could do it if I wanted to invest in a kitchen and serve enough food to qualify but my seating is not setup for tables, etc. Movies are not considered live entertainment but a DJ is. Its a strange sort of definition. I think they do it because they dont want every theater in the State serving liquor. Seems strange to me though that I can go to Chuck E Cheese with my son and get a beer but not at an R movie.

Re:serve beer and wine? 31 Dec 2008 18:22 #30631

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm thinking of starting up beer, wine and maybe even a few cocktails (we have NA margarita slushies now so just add a shot of tequila). For those of you that serve alcohol what are the pros and cons you've experienced? We're thinking of a two drink maximum but I wonder how to enforce that. Any resistance from your customers?

www.todayslocalnews.com/?sect=tln&p=1142

OCEANSIDE — An Oceanside theater’s request to sell beer to its patrons hinges upon the decision of a state agency — but the decision probably won’t come soon.

Officials with the North County office of the Department of Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) are considering whether to grant the operators of the CinemaStar Theaters a beer-only license.

If the license is granted, CinemaStar would become the first theater in San Diego County to attain that privilege.

Although CinemaStar Theaters, at 431 College Blvd., applied for the license in April, Robin Van Dyke, ABC district supervisor, said the agency probably won’t complete its investigation until the end of July.

Van Dyke said it will take even longer for her department to render a decision in the case and a public hearing on the issue might not happen until October. Van Dyke said the decision will take that long partially because her office, which covers all of San Diego County north of Miramar Road, is reviewing more than 100 cases with a small number of staff.

She also said her department is being thorough in its investigation because there have been 10 to 15 letters of protest against the beer application.

“It’s being looked at very closely by our department. Because if we issue this license — and that’s a big if — it’s going to set a precedent,” Van Dyke said. “We’re really scrutinizing this, and it’s not a decision that we’re going to make lightly.”

Van Dyke said that prior to making its decision, her department will send one or more investigators to the theater’s premises at various times to observe any potential issues or problems that could arise if the theater had a beer license.

Van Dyke said her office is concerned with how the theater would address keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors.

“How are we going to monitor that no persons under 21 are going to get in there? How are we going to be able to get into the middle of that movie theater row and check (a) person’s identification without disturbing anybody else? . . . How will they monitor how much people are drinking?,” Van Dyke said. “It’s too early to say which way it’s going to go.”

Although calls to CinemaStar Theater President and Chief Operating Officer Kim Zolna were unreturned at press time, she said in May that the theater would take special precautions to ensure that beer would be consumed only by individuals 21 and over.

Zolna said the 13-screen theater would be split between an adult-only section (with a minimum age of 21) that serves beer and an all-ages section where alcohol is not allowed.

The adult-only section would be open during evenings, would be monitored closely by theater staff and would include a food menu with items such as pizza, burgers and salad, according to Zolna.

Lt. Tom Jones of the Oceanside Police Department’s Special Enforcement Division said it’s not unusual for his department to protest a beer license as a mechanism to establish certain conditions such as a security plan and hours of operation.

He also said that the police department is opposed to granting the license due to its concerns over how controlled the alcohol would be and if the theater would be able to keep patrons from leaving the theater with beer.

Nicole Papas, president of the North Coastal Prevention Coalition, a group opposed to alcohol and drug abuse, said her organization also opposes the theater having a beer license.

“This is a family environment,” Papas said, adding that her organization wants to “reduce the exposure of youth to alcohol in a public environment.”

Van Dyke said there are theaters in Los Angeles, Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose and Chico that serve beer and those theaters also sell food.
"What a crazy business"

Re:serve beer and wine? 31 Dec 2008 23:23 #30633

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Never a problem and rarley have people go over board.No limit with us in a year and a half 2 people we did not serve....

Re:serve beer and wine? 01 Jan 2009 14:14 #30634

• MicahWes
  • Fresh Boarder
We have been serving beer and wine at four locations (two art, two mainstream) for 18 years. Don't have too much of a problem. We did have a problem a few times in the 90's because NC obscenity laws prohibited alcohol consumption if there were "actual or simulated sexual acts" being exhibited, but they have changed that law so that now it is okay so long as the sexual activity is "artistic." One of our theaters is next to a huge University, so we do have the occasional person we have to cut off, but other than that it is a great profit center and a great way to differentiate our theaters from the other chains in town.

Re:serve beer and wine? 01 Jan 2009 18:16 #30637

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
It's being done in Washington now. A couple outfits, including Galaxy Cinemas is doing it. A nearby Galaxy 12-plex has one 21+ reserved screen and one that can be easily switched to adult-only. Both rooms were approved and licensed by the State for beer/wine sales. The theatres can not serve anywhere else. The auditoriums are accessed through a small, second "lobby"... basically just another room you have to go through to get to the auditorium doors. By posting an employee there (the person you order your beer/wine/food from), you gain control of "who goes there".

When a customer places an order, he's handed a coaster pager, like what you get in a restaurant while waiting for your seat. When the order is ready, the pager is activated and the waitperson enters the auditorium. The customer waves his pager, so as to be seen and served.

I don't know about any limit, but with this system it could be done easily enough.

If you're interested, I suppose you could get in touch with the Washington State Liquor Control Board, or someone at Galaxy Theatres.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction