Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby My visit to the Wellfleet Drive-In, Cape Cod
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My visit to the Wellfleet Drive-In, Cape Cod

My visit to the Wellfleet Drive-In, Cape Cod 04 Sep 2007 12:00 #15961

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
My wife and I were on vaction and for the second time in 2 years we went to the tip of Cape Cod. Last year I had omitted a visit to GM and partner John Vincent's Wellfleet Drive-In Theatre http://wellfleetdrivein.com/index.htm and this year we made it a "must visit". The theatre is part of a complex run by 65-75 staff for the central owner businesses: a retro stand alone restaurant, 4 screen hard top, huge ozoner, and even a mini golf. They have got all the bases covered. Last piece in the puzzle: If they can get a toll booth across Route 6 they can retire.

John met us a the ticket booth and gave us the VIP tratement ushering us in his Gold Lame' golf cart up to the best speaker in the house. We then had a tour of the 3 lines concession stand, met Dave the projectionist and toured the vintage and pristine arc driven reel & changeover set up. Dave is right out of Projectionist central casting with a booth overflowing with parts and memorabilia and stuff that just shouts DAVE. He is also in charge of caring for the huge herd of pet crows that hang at the drive-in ushering the film in from their perch high atop the giant curved screen.

We made ourselves comfy in my full sized Chevy PU, dialed in 88.3 FM, hung a speaker on our passenger side window, made a cocktail (don't tell John) and thoroughly enjoyed the show of Hairspray, only bailing for a moment to hit the concession stand for burgers and fries. The show had started with vintage trailers and cartoons that had me laughing out loud. Daffy Duck. I guess you can call me old school!

The entertainment was fun and the audience gets right into it too. One stopped by our vehicle to "clothes line" herself on our speaker wire, throwing her food in the air and making gurgling noises, all of which will definitely get your attention in the dark.

We planned to take in the famous flea market which they host 3-4 days a week to great success but bike riding and whale watching and beaches called. The operation is a beaut and is worth a drive out to the Cape alone but throw in Cape Cod and you really have a great trip.

Thanks to John and all the crew for a great visit.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My visit to the Wellfleet Drive-In, Cape Cod 04 Sep 2007 18:28 #15962

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The Wellfleet Drive-in is a first class operation all the way. I had the pleasure of being a "guest projectionist" there one night and got to do the manual change-overs on their carbon-arc monsters.

It was a real thrill to visit a well run drive-in theatre operated by people who care about their customers.

Rick Cohen
Transit Drive-in Theatre
Lockport, NY
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction