Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema!

Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema! 04 May 2001 16:32 #1580

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Last night I rented Gladiator for a home viewing on the vcr. Turned off the lights in the living room and pressed play. It's in the opening sequences when Maximus is riding into the woods when my wife shows up. "Who's that?" I am trying to get into it; "Shhhh." "Who is that?" She asks about the guy waving a severed head around by the hair. "Is the dog with Russel Crowe?" All this as the battle starts to erupt. "Which ones are the Romans?" Duh. Barbarians seem readily identifiable by their head throwing ill mannered Germanian long haired nuttiness as contrasted by the well ordered uniformed Roman Legions. "Could you please shut up?" I ask grittily. She leaves. Three minutes later she yells in from the kitchen, "Is the battle over? Did the dog get hurt?" Then the phone rings........ a friend about some Cedar logs I was looking for. The phone rings again and it's the projectionist to talk trailer placements. And so it goes. All I needed was a dog fight and a couple of kids sniffling and it would have been special. Can this experience ever challenge the true suspension of reality that happens in theatres? Never.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema! 04 May 2001 16:59 #1581

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That's right Mike. Just keep feeding me more reasons to be happy being single!

Re: Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema! 04 May 2001 23:35 #1582

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey, going to the movies:
-Gets you the heck outta the house.
-Is a place to take the ol' lady/man and not have to talk to them.
-Is the best excuse for, "The cell phone was turned off."
Oddly enough, these also apply to my motorcycle . . .
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema! 05 May 2001 10:55 #1583

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
As for being single..... it took 3 times to get it right. Met my first wife at Woodstock Festival. Second wife at Woodstock, NY and stayed the Hell away from Wopodstocks in any form thereafter! I like my wife a lot but man oh man.... "Did the dog get hurt?" That is really exceeding the bounds of decency.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema! 05 May 2001 19:46 #1584

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last night I decided to do something I rarely do, see a film in my movie theatre. I sat down for the 7:10 show of The Dish. So just as the show begins, my favorite movie people show up, the couple with the baby. I don't say anything. Ten minutes later, the baby begins to scream. So I pop out of my seat, stand right in front of the couple and tell them that if they can't keep the child quiet, that they will have to remove the child to the lobby, then I sit back down. Shortly there after, one of them takes the kid out.

Half way through the film, as she is heading back to her seat, she stops by my chair and says that I didn't have to be rude about it and that if it bothers me I could move. I couldn't get a word in edgewise. If I had, I would have told her that I was the theatre's owner and that if she didn't like it, she could leave.

Alas, as usual, I didn't get the satisfaction. I am now telling my cashiers to tell baby owners that a cinema isn't the best environment for a baby and that the child may bother other money paying patrons.

If I had built this place, I might have put in cry rooms, but I didn't and I can't, so take your babies elsewhere.

Re: Why DVD, VCR's will never kill the cinema! 07 May 2001 13:13 #1585

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Large: Something that helped my "Baby Situation" (besides keeping my pants zipped. Actually, I raised three step-kids) was to have a very liberal refund/pass policy for people with kids. When people with an infant buy a ticket we tell them, "If the baby starts to get noisy, we'll gladly give you a pass(es) to try it another time when you can get a sitter. If it's early in the show, we'll even refund your ticket prices."
What this seems to do is remove the money incentive to stick to it out even tho they're pissing off the rest of the auditorium.

One of the few times I lost it with a customer happened during "Contact." I was sitting in my auditorium watching the film and a group of kids kept commenting and making loud snoring sounds thru out the film. During the last 10 minutes if the film, I lost it. I went over and asked them what the f*** they thought this was and what right did they have to screw up the film for everyone else. Then my manager came in and threw them out for life. When the letter arrived from the parents, I explained that the kids were rude and it was too bad they lacked the intelligence to appreciate the film. It expressed that it was good they got the lesson early in life that the world doesn't revolved around their sense of boredom. It's really amazing how many people don't teach their kids these lessons and are astounded when society has to do it for them. And, by the way, the rude man using foul language with your kids was me, the owner. Have a nice day.

A few weeks after that, I closed the theater. Frankly, it wasn't worth it.

Interestingly enough, this thread seems to have turned in to why it's a good idea to stay home with the DV player.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction