Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Theater

New Theater 15 Apr 2001 18:53 #1568

• Rick C
  • Fresh Boarder
I currently run a very succesful three screen independent. I am looking at the possibility of opening up a new theater in another Town. Our whole County only has 18 screens for over 100,000 full time residents, with another 50,000 tourists a year. So as you can see there is a definite market here for more screens. I am looking at a couple locations, but my question is how much Square feet do I need. I plan to go with an vacant building, and I would like to go with 4 or 5 screens with a total seating of 800 to 900. I am completely familiar with all aspects of running a theater, but I am a virgin when it comes to staring one from scratch. I would appreciate any help in this process.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Theater 17 Apr 2001 05:52 #1569

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I would reccomend a visit with a theatre architect, or an experienced arc at the least. We designed and built our own but we made mistakes we'd never have encountered with a professional on board. It's going to cost you real coin to build the thing , a set of good plans won't add much to that. Many of these subjects have been covered in the archives here so I'd browse through past postings. I like your idea.... go for it.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: New Theater 20 Apr 2001 18:49 #1570

• Rick C
  • Fresh Boarder
Mike, thanks for your response, we have found our site and have decided to hire an architect. What's your thoughts on using used - rebuilt projection equipment and seats. We want to open a first class theater, but we also want to be able to handle our debt service. Any info would be appreciated.

Rick

Re: New Theater 21 Apr 2001 12:28 #1571

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
As long as the used projection and sound equipment is in good shape and works well, there is nothing wrong with having used equipment. As for used seats as long as they match the slope of your floor, are in good condition, have cupholders (or can have cupholders installed later), colors match your theater, and are professionally installed then you can still get good results with used seats.

Re: New Theater 24 Apr 2001 13:59 #1572

Ric:

Speaking as Seating Guy I will tell you there are good deals on used "stuff", including seating. Just remember you get what you pay for! If it sounds to good to be true is probably is. Check out the "stuff" before you pay for it, unless you know the source. Sound and projection equipment will generally be in good, or better shape. Seats on the other hand get very abused. Even if they are just a couple of years old, they can be in terrible shape.Also like Ken pointed out mak sure thay will meet the demands of your theatre, IE. slope, back height (to tall/not tall enough), color, smell (LOL), and general condition. Somtimes when you start to really investigate new is not much more than used, and it can make a real difference in the prenetation of your "home". If you need any assistance please call me and I will be happy to answer any questions. 619-491-3159.
HAVE AN OUTSTANDING DAY!!
Regards,

David Walleyn

Re: New Theater 05 May 2001 11:11 #1573

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We used all used in our seats (although they were recoveered and elecrocoat painted) and booth equipment and we're happy with everything but if I had to do it over again: I would do new seats. Concession equipment is better NEW so you don't inherit a crappy popcorn maker or soda set up. New is always better than used in that regard........ but it is really expensive.

However.... with digital looming and the top 11 bankrupt there is certainly dealing to be done in the new department.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction