Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: cartoons

cartoons 23 Jun 2007 14:35 #15650

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
i would like to know how do you book cartoons ?Whent too the Fox theater and they are running an old bugs,,,,,,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: cartoons 23 Jun 2007 22:04 #15651

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
All the major studios have departments that deal with Cartoons and older movies. Contact the main studio and request a list?

Re: cartoons 24 Jun 2007 01:23 #15652

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
There are only two filmcos that have cartoons: MGM has the United Artists library (Pink Panther and The Inspector cartoons), and Warner Bros. (WB and MGM library).

Don't know about availability on the UA titles, but WB will only book their cartoons theatrically in packages of 6 titles. WB Classics on the West Coast handles the bookings.

Re: cartoons 24 Jun 2007 01:27 #15653

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
Oops...forgot about Sony Repertory. They have some cartoons from the Columbia library, mostly 30s and 40s titles, plus some of the Mr. Magoo and UPA shorts from the 50s. They also have 3 Stooges shorts, misc. sound comedy shorts (Charley Chase, Buster Keaton, etc), and a few serials.

Re: cartoons 25 Jun 2007 02:05 #15654

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Are those 30's & 40's public domain? How about others? Where do you start researching to determine if a title is in public domain?

Re: cartoons 13 Jul 2007 16:34 #15655

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
when is the last time anyone on this board ran a cartoon?

Re: cartoons 13 Jul 2007 20:15 #15656

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
Two weeks ago.

Re: cartoons 13 Jul 2007 21:51 #15657

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
Ran Chilly Willy last year sometime...

I'd love to do a 'toonfest' on a weekend if I could fine good product to play!

WB does have LT packs of I think 4 toons per for a flat fee but I really didn't find much better last time I looked.
tony.

Re: cartoons 13 Jul 2007 23:06 #15658

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm running one now.

Re: cartoons 13 Jul 2007 23:26 #15659

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Roxy what did you pay for the cartoon and who is it from,,,

Re: cartoons 13 Jul 2007 23:30 #15660

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
The Blue Fox Drive-In theater in Oak Harbor, Washington runs cartoons every week during June-July-August.

Re: cartoons 14 Jul 2007 12:55 #15661

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
WB rents cartoons but only in sets of six for $200 flat for a weeks rental.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: cartoons 18 Jul 2007 19:57 #15662

has anyone ever spliced together a bunch of trailers and just played an hour or two of the best trailers?

Re: cartoons 27 Jul 2007 14:16 #15663

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
Go to any Wal-Mart and look for the $1 DVD's by the checkout stand. Most, if not all of these are in the public domain. Many of them are cartoons from Max Fleischer etc...

As far as I know these are all fair game to show.
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine

Re: cartoons 27 Jul 2007 16:18 #15664

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I see a couple of references in this thread to public domain. Sorry, BurneyFalls, I didn't see your question before, but I think I have an answer for it now.

How do you research if a title is in public domain? Well, there is no sure fire way, at least not an easy one. Some people say to start with the Library of Congress, but if you search their website under public domain film, you will see that they refer people to the U.S. Copyright Office when seeking information about the status of a film (whether it's public domain or not). You can go to their website and search, but then there is the possibility that even if you don't find the film or cartoon there that it still may be protected by copyright. If I remember right, they don't list items in the public domain. They only list items with copyrights.

It is possible that there is a copyright for something other than the film as a whole. So, if you search under the film title, you may not automatically see that the film has copyrighted music or screenplay or whatever. Many articles are posted on the internet which indicate that it is extremely difficult to know for sure if an item is truly public domain.

So, how do you do it? I've decided the way to do it is to rely on the research of others rather than do my own. However, be careful because you could still be held responsible if there has been a mistake. I wouldn't take the word of just anybody, but if you see a high profile website (preferably more than one high profile site) that is selling DVDs or giving free downloads of a film they are calling public domain, then it's highly likely that it really is. The copyright holder would challenge them if they made a mistake. They have done so before.

As for a source to obtain the public domain cartoons, you can look at http://www.archive.org/details/animationandcartoons

This is the only site I saw with public domain films with a category for cartoons. I'm not sure everything there is public domain, but some specifically say public domain. Archive.org is such a major site that any item listed there as public domain would get major attention. I wouldn't have any problem taking their word.

Once you find a trustworthy site (or two or three) that state a film is public domain, then you can begin searching for a copy of the DVD (if they don't sell it on the site where you found your information). They may be at Wal-Mart as Tom stated, but if not you can bet it's available somewhere. Plenty of people want to make money selling copies of public domain works. Amazon.com and others sell plenty of them.

If you insist on running film only, then it will be much harder to find a copy. Does anybody have a good place to get DVD converted to film? Would it be worth it? What would be the result?

One problem with the cheap copies you can buy at Wal-Mart is quality. I didn't buy a public domain DVD cartoon, but I did buy a video. The quality was so bad that we took it back. It was unwatchable, even for a dollar. I've bought fair quality DVDs at the dollar store, so you never know. But, the issue on a lot of the cheap public domain DVDs is that they are copies of copies. I think it would be good to spend a little more money and get the best quality possible for a reasonable price. $20 or $30 sounds ok to me because you will have it in your library and be able to play it as often as you like.

My question is, will the distribs let you play cartoons before their films?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction