Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1-18-08

1-18-08 22 Jul 2007 22:53 #15608

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
At the begining of Transformers there is a trailer that nobody knows what it is.
Some say it is a new Godzilla movie but it is supposed to be top secret on what it is?
Any input?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 1-18-08 22 Jul 2007 23:49 #15609

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
If I remember, that trailer was for a film that's so far distant, they haven't even given it a working title. Seemed funny they'd do that. They're probably still writing the script!

Re: 1-18-08 23 Jul 2007 09:22 #15610

• jackelope
  • Fresh Boarder
It is by J.J. Abrams, the guy behind the television shows Lost and Alias. Supposedly it is a monster type movie, where the movie starts out with clean up crews picking up the pieces of New York when they find a video camera. They press play and then the movie is shown through the eyes of the video camera.

Re: 1-18-08 23 Jul 2007 09:56 #15611

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
The working title is called "Cloverfield". Apparently it's being filmed entirely with hand-held video cameras (thinking Blair Witch Project here) and is only going to cost $30M to make. More here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3id4ef5b33280f855ac2cefa413181f3dc

Here's the trailer in HD:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/07/09/jj-abrams-cloverfield-1-18-08-trailer-officially-hits/

I guess JJ Abrams is also directing the next Star Trek movie too.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: 1-18-08 23 Jul 2007 11:26 #15612

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Part of the big guys job is staking out territory of a weekend and acting like they have something no one would dare open against. They do this as much as 2 years out.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 1-18-08 23 Jul 2007 20:40 #15613

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is what the Hollywood reporter said:

While unleashing "Transformers" onscreen this week, Paramount also lifted the lid on a top-secret project in the form of a teaser trailer for a new film, "Cloverfield."

"Cloverfield," which revolves around a monster attack in New York as told from the point of view of a small group of people, is being produced by J.J. Abrams. It is being directed by Matt Reeves, who co-created "Felicity" with Abrams, and is written by Drew Goddard, who has worked with Abrams on "Lost" and "Alias."

Paramount greenlighted the project under a veil of heavy secrecy in February, about the same time that Abrams agreed to the take over the directing reins of the new "Star Trek" film.

The casting process was just as mysterious. No scripts or even scene pages were sent out; agents who were contacted were simply asked if their client wanted to be in the movie or not. Eventually a cast, made up mostly of relative unknowns, was put together; it includes Michael Stahl-David ("The Black Donnellys"), Odet Jasmin, Mike Vogel ("Supercross") and Lizzy Caplan ("The Class").

The movie, which is believed to have a relatively modest budget of about $30 million, began shooting in mid-June in New York. With "Transformers" generating huge tracking numbers in the weeks before its release, the studio decided to put footage from "Cloverfield" in a teaser in front of "Transformers" to build buzz.

After first presenting the Paramount and Bad Robot logos -- Bad Robot being Abrams' shingle -- the trailer opens with scenes from a surprise going-away party in a New York bar with a view of the city. Before long, a thundering roar is heard, and by the time guests run downstairs, pandemonium and flaming debris are hitting the streets. After a huge explosion at the lower end of Manhattan, what appears to be the head of the Statue of Liberty comes hurtling up the street like a giant projectile.

The trailer's footage is shot by a hand-held camera, home-movie style, giving it a sort of "Armageddon" meets " The Blair Witch Project" feel, though it is not clear if the entire movie follows that style. While the trailer does not reveal the name of the movie, it does announce a release date of Jan. 18.

Several copies of the trailer, seemingly shot in theaters with a camcorder, were posted on YouTube by Thursday morning. But by Thursday afternoon, some links had been taken down, replaced by an advisory saying, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Paramount Pictures Corp."

Producing the movie along with Abrams is Bryan Burk, who has worked on such Abrams shows as "Lost," "Six Degrees" and "What About Brian." Guy Riedel and Sherryl Clark are executive producing.

"Cloverfield" is shooting in New York.

Re: 1-18-08 23 Jul 2007 22:12 #15614

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:
<B>... and acting like they have something no one would dare open against.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In this case, that might actually be true. Since JJ also produced LOST, there is already a huge number of people trying to find clues ("easter eggs") in the trailer just like they do in LOST. Symbols on T-shirts, license plate acronyms, making the title into an annogram, finding shapes in a woman's hair, etc. It's pretty crazy, but it's causing more buzz than I have ever heard of for a trailer.

I think it's brilliant marketing. I personally like this approach because too many trailers show all the good parts of a movie. Leaving some mystery is a breath of fresh air.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: 1-18-08 24 Jul 2007 09:20 #15615

I saw this yesterday and it was really scary - the sudden hysteria while they are all on the roof is very realistic.

Re: 1-18-08 24 Jul 2007 09:59 #15616

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
I saw it again yesterday and heard what sounds like Godzilla roaring.
While there is a new Godzilla coming out I don't think JJ would do it!

Re: 1-18-08 25 Jul 2007 10:05 #15617

God - i hope its not Godzilla. we need new monsters!

and if its JJ Abrams - you know we will probably never actually see the monster - in fact i wouldnt be suprised if the movie turns into a Love story set in the 1800's bewteen now and the release date knowing the jumps that he did in Lost and Alias.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction