Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cool Air

Cool Air 02 May 2001 13:40 #1546

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Now that the warmer days are upon us I'm interested in what you do to keep the cost of airconditioning down. Anybody have any helpful tips that they would like to pass on to all of us.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cool Air 02 May 2001 20:22 #1547

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
heh,heh,heh....

Hand out ice cubes!

Re: Cool Air 02 May 2001 23:37 #1548

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, i don't even have air conditioning. i have two evapoative coolers, a powered air vent for the auditorium and ceiling fans (way high so they don't detract from the show). We don't get too hot here, so this works pretty well. the two weeks out of the year it doesn't work perfectly doesn't justify the $15k for the a/c unit on the roof.

it takes some thought to use something other than a/c. at night i fill the place with the cool air, shut the place up tight during the day, then pull the warm air from the bodies out the top while drawing in cool air from the outside. when it gets really hot, i move my shows farther into the night.

most newer a/c units have an economizing setting where it just pumps in the outside air. if you do that all night and close it up for the morning, it lessens the work the a/c has to do.

i figure each body to be about like a 100 wt light bulb and use that to guess the amount of heat coming in with the audience. if i'm going to have a sold-out show, i have everything blasting before the show and remember to kill it about a half hour before they leave.

when installing any additional air movers, make sure you are in compliance with fire code. consider if they will let in outside light or noise. and if you go for ceiling fans, make sure they are dark enough and high enough that people don't notice them. having them balanced is important -- it makes them noiseless. be conscious of where they will get power and make sure the power line doesn't parallel/contact any speaker wires. if you use speed controls on any of these devices, make sure they don't interfere with sound systems.

either that or buy a whole bunch of the asian folding fans from oriental traders . . . . might make a few bucks with 'em. and NEVER run out of ice for the drinks!
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction