Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stardust

Stardust 11 Jul 2007 17:53 #15454

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Anyone have any thoughts on Stardust?

My booker is saying to stay away from it b/c it is very british and very arty. Nothing else after the Aug 3rd seems very attractive for the rest of the month.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stardust 11 Jul 2007 19:12 #15455

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
The spies at Aint it cool News seem to be split on Stardust. A few loved it, but most seem to say it tries hard to be like the Princess Bride - and fails.

/Nothing else after the Aug 3rd seems very attractive for the rest of the month/

Um - August 10th - a little thing called Rush Hour 3??

And August 17th, I'd watch out for SuperBad. By the team behind Knocked Up, it will go after the American Pie audience as well. If you have success with those kinds of films, I think it will do well.

Re: Stardust 11 Jul 2007 20:51 #15456

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I knew someone would bring up Rush Hour 3.

I am in out-state Missouri. I have owned video stores for 15 years. Neither of the first two were anything great for us on home video. We have very little diversity. Our area is very white. Typically a movie has to have Denzel, Eddie, or Vin to do any business. Even with Eddie, Norbit did very poor for us.

I looked up RH2 box office in our area on rentrak's site and did not do what a movie that grossed $67 million opening weekend normally might do. The numbers seem to be more in line with a $30 million box office.

I do think that Rush Hour 3 might be the safe bet, but Stardust has the larger uspide. If Stardust were to be a stinker, it downside would not be that far off of expected Rush Hour 3. Plus I think people are going to get tired of sequels at some point.

As far as Superbad goes; in the 8 mos. that we have been opened, we have not had an "R" rated movie. The 15-25 year olds are not are demographic as of right now. Plus it has no star power.

Re: Stardust 12 Jul 2007 09:21 #15457

I cant imagine Rush Hour 3 would be any good. Superbad looks great but it could be too close to Knocked Up and people may compare and the whole backlash thing ccould happen. Oh well - i do tend to over thnk these these. We rarely have rated R movies here but we did Knocked up and did really well with it even though we didnt get it till after it had been out for two weeks.

Re: Stardust 12 Jul 2007 10:02 #15458

• larryb7313
  • Junior Boarder
Also have the Bourne Ultimatum 8/3, and Daddy Day Camp which doesnt look good might play well due to the lack of movies for kids

Re: Stardust 12 Jul 2007 11:52 #15459

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
For the 3rd we will have Simpsons and Underdog. Our core demographic is families with young kids.

Open dates to bring in are: Aug 10 assuming only 2 weeks of Simpsons or 17th asuuming 3 weeks of Simpsons.

Daddy Day Care: Sequel without the original stars. Plus this was originally going to be DTV. I see little upside on this for us.

Anyone have an early feel for location count for Stardust?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction