Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Yet more questions on biz plan
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yet more questions on biz plan

Yet more questions on biz plan 26 Jun 2007 21:44 #15360

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Ok so I am trying to wrap the plan up and get this going but I have a couple of things in my way...

Curtains: This is a big problem since the curtains are all stained and in real bad shape. Does anyone have a way of finding theaters that may be closing or who have closed? I would like to use this as a means of replacing curtains. What are some alternatives on curtains that may work. Like cheap places to get them new or used.

Screens: They are dirty and need cleaning. How does one go about cleaning a screen? They arent really bad but have spit balls and such on them.

Thanks

Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 27 Jun 2007 10:51 #15361

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Curtains: We do not have them and I do not feel it detracts much if any from the presentation.

Cleaning Screens: Search the forums as this topic as been well discussed before.

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 27 Jun 2007 10:52 #15362

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Theaters closing. You pay attention here and to everyone around you. It will come quick. I just finished destroying my 4 screen theater. All those curtains (mostly new)were trashed and the screens were cut to get the speakers out. Too bad for you.

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 27 Jun 2007 11:08 #15363

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
Numerous screen cleaning companies out there. I believe our host has links to them on the main page.

Rip the curtains down and replace with acoustic(and fire-retardant) carpeting if there is nothing surface mounted on the wall underneath. Carpet is much less expensive, is easier to work with if designs on wall are desired and wears better than drapes. It also provides the same sound-deadening properties as the drapes. I'm using floor to ceiling carpeting in my new theatre.

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 27 Jun 2007 14:33 #15364

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rufusjack:
<B>Curtains: We do not have them and I do not feel it detracts much if any from the presentation.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's where we part company rufusjack. Running without curtains detracts from the ambience of a theatre, deminishes your "showmanship" and puts one in the same class as the many cinder block multiplexes that look like a large TV set. Curtains also help keep the screen clean.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 27 Jun 2007 15:47 #15365

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Well I am working on "restoring" the cinema to its original beauty so I kinda have to go with curtains.

One problem that I have is that in the middle of the wall there is an enclosure that has lights which point up to light the curtains. I don't like this and I am looking for a way to remove it.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 28 Jun 2007 00:14 #15366

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Curtain material isn't really all that expensive. The major cost is in the installation. Put them up yourself with the help of your friends, family, or trusted future patrons.

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 02 Jul 2007 00:38 #15367

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Ok I will probably put in myself, where do you suggest I get the curtains from?

What about those old school seats that kinda rock back and forth
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 02 Jul 2007 16:18 #15368

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Are you talking about stage curtains, or wall curtains?

Re: Yet more questions on biz plan 03 Jul 2007 08:41 #15369

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
most of the drapery/theatre outfits have access to older or used stuff they have taken down or they know where it is. Once you actually start doing something like this it goes very easily. The seat installers know all the tech people who know all the sound/curtain people who know all the concession people. And of course it's very regionalized. My suplliers come out of New England. Major Theatre in Boston is great with this curtain and sound stuff. All of this info is in
1. Box Office annual issue of suppliers
2. Film Journal annual issue of suppliers
3. IME annual supplier guide
4. Bigscreenbiz.com directory and past searches.

If someone says they are serious about building or buying or restarting a theatre and have not subscribed to and acquired a back year of the top three above: I question their seriousness. For about 100.00 you can have all of the information anyone needs. I just had a new quote for 350,000.00 to add 2 screens. That will make about 550,000.00 I have in my 4 screen. Which is about as cheap as it gets. I think if someone purports to be serious yet cannot afford to drop 100.00 bucks in the decision making process that they will not be able to afford their dream.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction