Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tax on movie tickets

Tax on movie tickets 13 Jun 2007 21:37 #15202

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
For 30 years the Dems in Maine have controlled the state house in Augusta. For at least 20 years they have tried to tax movie tickets. Finally it looks like they will get their way and tax the few goods and services that do not have a sales tax(After all we wouldn't want to cut the budget)
My question is how did taxing tickets impact your theater -for those of you who have sales tax. I have not raised my admission prices for twelve years-a source of pride for me and my staff-of course it would tax the state house to force us to raise our prices.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tax on movie tickets 14 Jun 2007 01:07 #15203

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Many localities have an "admission" tax on each ticket.

Re: Tax on movie tickets 14 Jun 2007 06:39 #15204

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
My friend Narrow G and I go around on this often as we are both in Maine. In Maine we have very high prop tax. If the sales tax on admissions goes to lower prop tax then I am for it. I'd rather people pay a little extra to go to a movie or skiing than an old lady on SS can't pay her prop tax. Going skiing, eating out, motels, etc. are a choice. No one will take your home if you choose not to go to a movie. Anything the state can do to lower the prop tax by moving it onto others is worth a try. I note that in Utah I paid a 10% or so "itinerant traveler room tax" and in Pittsburg a 8.5% sales tax on a newspaper, and in Florida high sales taxes on everything. But then, I'm just a tax and spend kind of guy.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction