Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's Happening At The Cannes

What's Happening At The Cannes 23 Apr 2001 13:30 #1520

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2

Here's an up date from Variety Magazine on The Cannes Film Festival.

Posted: Mon., 4/23/2001, 12:00 am PST

Cannes hosts sky-eyed screening
Jeunet's 'Amelie' to play outdoors at fest

By DEREK ELLEY

LONDON -- Cannes is going open air.
The festival will host an under-the-stars screening of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's "Amelie of Montmartre" ("Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain") on May 13 in the park area close to the Palais. The event will be free to the general public.

"I want Cannes to have a lighter, more joyous feel," new artistic director Thierry Fremaux told Daily Variety. "I love the atmosphere of a festival like Telluride, which is one of the best in the world, and we thought open-air screenings would be a way of bringing a more relaxed, human face to Cannes."

Many festivals, from Locarno and Telluride to Montreal and Pusan, already have open-air screenings as part of their schedules.

"Amelie," which opens in France on Wednesday with 400 prints, has generated good buzz and thumbs-up advance reviews from French critics.

A fantasy/romance centering on a young woman (Audrey Tautou) in search of a Prince Charming, pic is the first in five years from Jeunet ("Delicatessen," "Alien: Resurrection"). In 1995, his "The City of Lost Children" opened the Cannes Intl. Film Festival.

Miramax will distribute the pic in the U.S.

Vietnam War feature in fest

Also, a 40-minute promo reel of the first feature about the Vietnam War actually made in Vietnam will unspool during the Cannes Film Festival.

Norwegian sales outfit BV Intl. Pictures will show excerpts of Jonathan Foo and Ngyuen Phan Quang Binh's "Song of the Stork," about five North Vietnamese soldiers.

Previous Vietnam war epics, including Oliver Stone's "Heaven and Earth," Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" and Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," were filmed in Thailand or the Philippines.

"Song of the Stork" is also the first Singaporian-Vietnamese co-production from Singapore's MegaMedia. BV Intl. Pictures represents the film worldwide.

(Jorn Rossing Jensen contributed to this report)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What's Happening At The Cannes 24 Apr 2001 16:18 #1521

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
After doing 14 film festivals in Telluride, I'm glad to hear it.

On with The Show!

Re: What's Happening At The Cannes 26 Apr 2001 12:36 #1522

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I just like trying to pronounce Cannes. Cawn. Can's. Cane's. Those French. They love their movies and everything to do with them. Cheers/ Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction