Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pirates 3

Pirates 3 24 May 2007 16:52 #15177

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
The third film in the "Pirates" franchise officially opens Friday in an all-time high of 4,362 theaters domestically, 110 more than the previous record-holder, "Spider-Man 3."

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Pirates 3 24 May 2007 20:57 #15178

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
It's not in our single screen, we opted for Shrek.

Re: Pirates 3 25 May 2007 03:10 #15179

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
It's off to a good start here. We didn't sell out, but had a much, much larger crowd than we'd normally expect from our first Thursday of the season, and with school not out yet. No complaints from me. I'm looking forward to the next 3 days!

Re: Pirates 3 25 May 2007 07:16 #15180

• sheri6363
  • Senior Boarder
WE opened at 8:30 last night and sold [175] out it was exciting,I hope it stays that busy all weekend and all June. Our town has been without a theatre for 20+ years, I quess the community has opened it's arms to us and I thank God [literally] they want to watch movies and eat popcorn.

Re: Pirates 3 25 May 2007 08:33 #15181

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We opened it in two theatres and did very nice.

This is the summer to die for. No one, especially our friends who are opening this year, should mistake this summer for anything but a year of grossing power in a decade. This is an odd confluence that happens every now and then. Mostly then. Do not expect or even dare to hope that the stars will align like this often. It happens. It's wonderful. But it is not usual. Sporadic misfires and disapointment are more often in the mix than we have seen to date. Enjoy this summer. It's not normal. Here comes Ocean's, Ratty, Evan Almighty, Knocked Up, Harry, Die Hard.... and more. OMG! :O

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Pirates 3 25 May 2007 08:38 #15182

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
Shrek is at our single screens also. Pirates is at our multi, and we were at 90% capacity (235) thur night. Going to be a great 3 day holiday weekend.

I also completly agree with Mike saying. "This is an odd confluence that happens every now and then. Mostly then." Been in this business 31 years this July. And it is very rare indeed, to have 3 blockbusters like these stacking up in one month. I don't think there has ever been a single month. That has had three $100 mil openers.

[This message has been edited by sevstar (edited May 25, 2007).]

Re: Pirates 3 28 May 2007 21:07 #15183

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I can tell you for a fact that there has never been a month with two 150 million dollar pictures, with a 120 million dollar picture thrown in between them for kicks.

Rick Cohen
Transit Drive-in
Lockport, New York
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Pirates 3 28 May 2007 21:09 #15184

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:
<B>We opened it in two theatres and did very nice.

This is the summer to die for. No one, especially our friends who are opening this year, should mistake this summer for anything but a year of grossing power in a decade. This is an odd confluence that happens every now and then. Mostly then. Do not expect or even dare to hope that the stars will align like this often. It happens. It's wonderful. But it is not usual. Sporadic misfires and disapointment are more often in the mix than we have seen to date. Enjoy this summer. It's not normal. Here comes Ocean's, Ratty, Evan Almighty, Knocked Up, Harry, Die Hard.... and more. OMG! :O

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike-

Maybe this year you can splurge and stay at the Marriott for ShowEast!

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Pirates 3 29 May 2007 01:52 #15185

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Pirates and Shrek took up just about every space we could find for the past 3 days. By tonight (Monday), our concession was just about cleaned out. Much shopping and ordering today, just to get to this week's normal delivery dates... a very nice problem to have!

Re: Pirates 3 29 May 2007 03:36 #15186

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I was able to fit all three in my two singles. Spidey started strong and fell hard. Overall, it made some money. Shrek kicked butt opening weekend and is still doing well. Pirates has been strong every show, but is slightly behind Shrek. What a ride these past few weeks have been. I am exhausted. If only Pirates wasn't so long.

Kind of in a quandry as to what to play next, though. I don't really want to go with another opener until HP5 comes to town.

Re: Pirates 3 29 May 2007 07:03 #15187

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Burney,

What about Ratatouille? That's what I'm thinking about and it'd be out two weeks before HP5.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Pirates 3 03 Jun 2007 08:57 #15188

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
With Pirates 3 lagging below expactations do you think the rule about no new screens until after the 4th of July might be bent?
"What a crazy business"

Re: Pirates 3 03 Jun 2007 10:51 #15189

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We certainly hope so leeler because we've had so many people ask us about Pirates and we doubt there would be a big enough crowd for it by July.

Re: Pirates 3 03 Jun 2007 11:06 #15190

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Thanks to the Rentrak website and this unique industry (where else can you see you competition revenues so easily) I tracked Pirates 3 vs Pirates 2. I track about 10-12 theaters in my area. I looked at most of them and the overall trend was -12% for the opening weekends.

When I looked at the smaller rural markets 6 screens or less towns 15,000 or less, the numbers where flat. When I looked at the larger multiplexes in larger towns/cities, the title was down 16.25%.

Hmmm..... I know Mr. Kagan and many others in the industry feel that $8-10 tickets for movies is a reasonable price, but......

I know that Pirates 2 disappointed quite a few people. And that 2 hours and 45 mins is really long, especially when you throw the last 20 seconds after 9 minutes of credits, but #2 was 2:30 long.

FWIW

Re: Pirates 3 04 Jun 2007 11:02 #15191

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
Well as of today, BV is still sticking to their rule of no Pirates bookings before July 4th.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction