Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sequels Lagging

Sequels Lagging 02 Jun 2007 23:19 #15128

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Universal's Knocked Up was knocking on Jack Sparrow's door Friday. It shocked fatiguing Pirates 3 by finishing as the No. 1 movie in America's Midwest and central South. "What all these sequels are not getting is the steady repeat business.

Audiences, instead of seeing their favorite films twice, know the next big juggernaut is right around the corner and they are going to those movies instead," said one of my box office gurus. Overall, the R-rated comedy came in 2nd place with nearly $10 million Friday from 2,871 theaters. (Universal has $9.8M predicting a $28M weekend. Rival studios put the figure at $9.9M.)

That means the Universal pic from Judd Apatow (40-Year-Old Virgin) could make as much as $30 million at the box office this weekend. That is not only the cost of the pic, but fulfills the studio's most optimistic expectations. Execs didn't expect the filthy laugher to play as well in the heartland as it is in urban centers and college towns. (See my previous, Universal Thanks Judd Apatow A Million.) Its gross receipts were not far behind Disney's No. 1 Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End which fell 69% to only $13.2 mil Friday from 4,362 venues for what should be just a $47M weekend.

Whereas Spider-Man 3 took in $60M at the start of its second week out. Sadly, Johnny Depp and the gang's cume of $186.5 mil is seriously lagging behind the Sony record-breaker in every biz way domestically. (Remember, there's a huge catfight between the two studios over foreign and global records...)
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/update-knocked-up-friday-numbers/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sequels Lagging 03 Jun 2007 01:42 #15129

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Guess all those midwestern "Pirates" fans must have been at my place last night. We had another near-sellout. Shrek filled up, too. Spider-Man is tapped out, but I needed to hold a screen for "Ocean's" next week.

No complaints about the movie business here.

Re: Sequels Lagging 03 Jun 2007 11:22 #15130

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
My only complaint: Spread the movies out more vs. loading up the holidays and summer (the same could be said about the home video market as well).

Re: Sequels Lagging 03 Jun 2007 17:10 #15131

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Only 213 million dollars banked domesticly in a full 10 days, not including what's to come from international grosses, pay TV rights, DVD sales, and merchandising. I'm sure the brass at Disney are quaking in their boots.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Sequels Lagging 04 Jun 2007 21:49 #15132

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
No complaints here either, just surprised. At our multi, Knocked Up was only $100 behind Pirates Sunday. And today it outgrossed Pirates by $290. If someone would have bet me Friday that was going to happen. I would have lost!

Re: Sequels Lagging 05 Jun 2007 17:14 #15133

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Big budget sequel fatigue has set in. All three of the threes that came out in May were targeted at the same audience. Realistically how many families go to the movies three weeks in a row?

I said from the beginning that they needed to spread these films out. There are just too much of big budget event pictures this summer. But being the sort of business that this is - who would use that sort of common sense.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction