Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay

My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 18 Apr 2007 14:02 #14921

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
My first 6 mos. as a theater owner has of course run the whole gammut of emotions.

By far, by biggest complaint is these guys: (Studios) make it hard to pay them.

As far as I know, none of these cos. offer automatic payments or a website to pay off of. So most of the time, I am stuck overnighting money or doing bank wires (all of course at an additional cost to me).

Why are these guys so far beind the times? Anyway NATO could do this? I would think the studios would want to get paid easier? How about letting Rentrak take over the payment functions?

I just finally found out today that DHL has automatic payments by credit card. A small step to a simpler life.

Thanks for letting me rant.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 18 Apr 2007 17:06 #14922

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree a more efficient way to pay them would be helpful. I have never had to overnight or wire money though. I come home after my last show of the run or week, pop my numbers into my box office report in my computer and the computer computes the amount to pay based on an agreed upon percentage or my best guess. I write the check and mail it off the next day with the BOR. Then if they owe me or I owe more, they send me a statement; which I either question or pay immediately.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited April 19, 2007).]

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 18 Apr 2007 19:54 #14923

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Being that I am new, I have had a few times when I do not get confirmed for a movies until Mon before Friday (twice Tues before Friday) and there have been a few times when I am told that I need to pay an advance on the Mon before Friday (even if the film has been booked for a couple of weeks).

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 18 Apr 2007 20:12 #14924

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rufusjack:
Being that I am new, I have had a few times when I do not get confirmed for a movies until Mon before Friday (twice Tues before Friday) and there have been a few times when I am told that I need to pay an advance on the Mon before Friday (even if the film has been booked for a couple of weeks).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took over managing a theatre in NE Iowa last year and the former manager was having that same problem as he was booking himself. I hired a booker and from then on I knew weeks in advance what was coming (it was confirmed) and who had to be paid in advance.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 19 Apr 2007 06:47 #14925

• Senior Boarder
We opened in Dec. 2004, and it nearly drove me crazy for months having to wire and overnight monies (and I had a booker). Finally, after about a year, the studios realized I was not out to keep their money, and relaxed. I only have to overnight now whenever they're doing a sales drive. So, be patient, and for heaven's sake don't be late or bounce a check! Oh, and they've also quit pulling confirmed prints on me like they did at first.

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 19 Apr 2007 07:33 #14926

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
Thats really weird. Here in Australia we pay directly into their bank accounts, we even have one for a US bank, but one of the local banks takes the payment for them. Id have thought you would have something similar set up in USA. How strange.

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 19 Apr 2007 11:57 #14927

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
When I was new and they tried telling me they needed the money 'yesterday' (before I even got their print), I told them I was sending a check that day. They asked what the check number was and that was that.

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 19 Apr 2007 20:06 #14928

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Bob,

I do have a booker. Problem is that my theatre has been re-opened for 5 mos, and the previous owners did very poorly. I have to get over that past reputation.

On two occasions I was confirmed for Disney titles on the Tues before friday. Just sucks being small. But I am trying to get out of the hole.

I tried to get the advance amount for Spider-Man 3 yesterday and I could not get an answer. Shoot, we are two weeks away!

Some are great. For example I love paying Paramount. Fax them a copy of the check and drop it in the mail for $.39.

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 20 Apr 2007 21:40 #14929

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Can't you use automatic bill pay online through your bank? I use US Bank and you can pay anyone- even your babysitter- by simply sending money to an address, for free. After you pay them online, a real check is mailed to them. I would think this would be more palatable to the studios than receiving hand-written checks. By having all the studios set up in your address book, it takes about 60 seconds to pay them. I can't imagine it being faster or easier or cheaper (not even a stamp)... that's why I do it!
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 23 Apr 2007 19:53 #14930

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Not all banks give away online pay for free. My bank charges businesses $6.99 (free for personal accounts) for up to 20 payments per mo. I would be hard pressed to have to send 10 payments this way.

Thanks for offering suggestions but still why can't these companies make it any easier. My local podunk water company added automatic payments last year.

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 24 Apr 2007 20:58 #14931

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I would pay the $7/mo in a heartbeat to not have to write another check or lick another envelope (fax a check? Wow.) AND to have a record of every payment made each month AND to have them automatically paid. I've been using online banking to pay ALL our bills for 2 years now and would never choose to write a check instead. It's even a lot faster and easier than paying each and every company individually on the websites for those who have the option, like your water company, because you have to go to each site separately, each with it's own login/password, account number, etc., then enter the amount, then confirm... <yawn>.

I bet you could come up with 10 payments easily if you made a list. Electricity, water, sewage, 4 employees, 4 studios, booker, property, insurance, phone... there's 15. You'll probably have a harder time keeping it under 20.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: My Biggest Complaint: These guys do not make it easy to pay 24 Apr 2007 21:33 #14932

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Water-automatic (I do nothing)
Sewer-Bill is so small I pay once a year
Electricity-automatic
employees-I have approx. 25-30 each period
insurance-automatic
telephone-automatic
trash-automatic

Automatic is a hell alot easier than any billpay. Seriously, I have less than 10: 4-6 studios, booker, highway transport. amazing how all of my non-payroll checks are in this business and not my others. Don't forget I own 5 video stores and 5 tanning salons as well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction