Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grindhouse

Grindhouse 29 Mar 2007 17:57 #14800

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just came from the trade screening. Despite its flaws (and there are a couple), it's the best time I've had at a movie in ages. If you lived thru the 70s and it's low-budget indieflix, you'll appreciate it.

It should play well in art houses and urban areas. Small towns can kiss it goodbye.

Will be curious to see how it fares in drive-ins, though.

I'm ready to see it again.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Grindhouse 30 Mar 2007 09:05 #14801

• cft
  • Senior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Thomas:

Will be curious to see how it fares in drive-ins, though.

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The two drive-ins in my region are still closed for winter. I would imagine they would be the perfect venue for this film.

Re: Grindhouse 30 Mar 2007 09:49 #14802

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
We're booking it in. Report to follow!

Re: Grindhouse 30 Mar 2007 12:25 #14803

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, if I had more than one drive-in screen I probably would have done Grindhouse as well. However...didn't want to pass up Robinsons.

Re: Grindhouse 30 Mar 2007 22:20 #14804

Is there anything hotter than Rose McGowan arching her back, with a gun for a leg, as a torpedo shoots under her?

*mouth drools*
Since 1987

Re: Grindhouse 03 Apr 2007 13:28 #14805

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
Maybe Rose McGowan arching her back WITHOUT a gun for a leg?

Re: Grindhouse 05 Apr 2007 13:57 #14806

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
My weekly drive-in blog is posted below for your enjoyment.

This weekend Mother Nature plunges Western New York back into winter, but at the drive-in the show will go on! This will be a rare opportunity to come to the drive-in on your snowmobile! All kidding aside, the drive-in will be open and the hot chocolate and coffee will be free all this weekend to anyone willing to come out in such wintry conditions. Whatever else you do to keep warm in the privacy of your own vehicle during the movie is your own business, so long as you keep your lights off (interior and exterior) during the movie.

Wintry conditions aside, the movie lineup for this weekend is very good. Two new movies (THE REAPING and GRINDHOUSE) are opening, and we are holding over the top two movies from last weekend, BLADES OF GLORY and Disney's MEET THE ROBINSONS. THE REAPING looks to be an interesting horror/suspense film starring Hilary Swank and several nasty plagues. GRINDHOUSE is a three hour tribute to exploitation movies (sometimes called drive-in movies) from the 70s and 80s, with two feature movies in one film package from directors Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez.

About GRINDHOUSE, from what I've heard so far it is supposed to be a lot of fun to watch. Both Tarantino and Rodriguez were heavily influenced as filmmakers by the horror and exploitation movies of the 70s and 80s, and this movie is their tribute to that style of movie making. The movie is financed by the Weinstein Company, headed by Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who used to run Miramax Films which was founded in Buffalo in 1979. Films released by Miramax include THE CROW, RESERVOIR DOGS, PULP FICTION, CLERKS, FROM DUSK TIL DAWN, ROUNDERS, THE CIDER HOUSE RULES, GANGS OF NEW YORK, CHICAGO, KILL BILL, plus the SPY KIDS, SCREAM, and SCARY MOVIE franchises. The Weinstein brothers started off in the entertainment industry in Buffalo during the 70s with Harvey and Corky Productions, promoting concerts throughout the area. They ran several concerts at the Transit Drive-in with acts such as Stephen Wolf, Talas, and John Valby. They also operated the Century Theatre on Main Street in Buffalo, which was known as a local "grindhouse" before it was demolished in the mid 80s.

Back in March, while I was attending a trade show in Las Vegas for theatre operators, I had the pleasure of attending a dinner banquet where both Tarantino and Rodriguez were receiving awards, so I got to meet them both personally. They are both big fans of drive-ins, so they were happy to hear I would be showing their new movie. I got to speak one-on-one with Bob Weinstein, and he fondly remembered his days from Buffalo promoting concerts at the Transit Drive-in. When he asked what movies I would be showing in early April, I teased him a little and said I haven't decided yet, then told him of course we would be showing GRINDHOUSE. I also got to meet Rose McGowan, who stars in GRINDHOUSE and is best known as one of the witches from the TV series Charmed.

Here is the movie lineup for this weekend. Hopefully, some of you will brave the weather and enjoy few good movies. Take note that GRINDHOUSE is two movies, one directed by Robert Rodriguez (PLANET TERROR) and the other directed by Quentin Tarantino (DEATH PROOF). The running time for GRINDHOUSE is 3 hours and 11 minutes, so it really does not require a second feature, especially in this weather! --Rick

Showing April 6 - 8
Friday - Sunday
Closed Monday - Thursday

Screen 1
GRINDHOUSE R 8:30

Screen 2
MEET THE ROBINSONS G 8:15
BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA PG 10:00

Screen 3
THE REAPING R 8:15
300 R 9:45

Screen 4
BLADES OF GLORY PG-13 8:30
NORBIT PG-13 10:15

Coming soon:
April 13: DISTURBIA
April 13: PERFECT STRANGER
April 20: VACANCY
April 27: NEXT
April 27: THE INVISIBLE
May 4: SPIDER-MAN 3
May 18: SHREK THE THIRD
May 25: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Grindhouse 06 Apr 2007 18:32 #14807

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
We're an original "grind house" and we are opening it. It was a quite Friday night for the Grind.... but let's see. I do love the concept. Especially the so called "coming attractions: "She Werewolves of the SS!"

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Grindhouse 07 Apr 2007 01:25 #14808

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Grindhouse opened a little slow tonight. Wild Hogs and Robinsons both did better. The people who are seeing it are having fun though.

Re: Grindhouse 07 Apr 2007 07:53 #14809

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Can you say over rated? Looks to be the latest Snakes on a Plane. I watched about an hour of it and was not hooked. Yeah the 70's stuff was fun but the film didn't engage me (or last nights slim audience) at all. Word of mouth isn't going to help this picture.

Re: Grindhouse 07 Apr 2007 10:30 #14810

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Looks to be the latest Snakes on a Plane.

Yeah, that connection occurred to me, too. After all the internet buzz, we thought we had something with "Snakes".

Re: Grindhouse 08 Apr 2007 10:31 #14811

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
Anyone remember this drive-in classic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55V-q1E2TjM

[This message has been edited by Transit Drive in (edited April 08, 2007).]
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Grindhouse 08 Apr 2007 16:48 #14812

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
Remember it? I was working for the local subdistributor when it came out, and booked this puppy in drive-ins all over the place!!

Back then you could have fun and be creative at the same time. I took three titles we had (Girl From Starship Venus; 2069 A Sex Odyssey; and Flesh Gordon) and had new radio and print ads made advertising the program under the heading "Lust In Space." Boy, did that show made a lot o' $$$$$$$$ in the ozoners.

Re: Grindhouse 09 Apr 2007 07:51 #14813

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
What hurt Grindhouse was the 3 hour running time. They should of split this up and released them 6 months apart!
Like what he did with Kill Bill!

Re: Grindhouse 09 Apr 2007 08:05 #14814

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
whatttttttttthehhfugettaboutit!!!!!? oh well. Boo-hoo. Got my sobbing all done.

What I love most about this business is there's always fresh cake on Friday!

Or as I say to the distribs the week after Harry Potter or Star Wars opens.... "what have you done for me lately?"

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction