Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Show West

My Show West 22 Mar 2007 15:44 #14761

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I have been on the road for almost 2 weeks. I arrived in Vegas Sat. night and immediately set out to play some poker, losing, and trying out my theory that for one short night I could just take a nap in the car since I was arriving late. Did that. Would not do it again. High point was getting up to visit the facilities and setting off my own alarm attracting security and police. Hmmmm.

Went hiking in Death Valley next Day and Red Rocks on Monday and actually saw my first ever flock of Big Horn Sheep! Head butting even. That was worth the ride.

Made it back for the Indie films night and enjoyed the evening with Gracie (Shue film about a girl playing soccer with the boyz) and met Ms. Shoe who is pretty freaking great looking and much shorter than you might imagine. Her Dad lives nearby here. Saw the Valet, French farce about a super model living with a geek. It was funny but felt a bit like TV. Met up with a lot of old friends in between: Rick from Transit Drive In, John with Wellfleet Drive In and Todd Cinemeteer helped chow down at the reception.

One thing about a nap in the car is that it will really make you appreciate a good bed!

Set my alarm for 2:30 am to watch 'em blow up the Stardust with my binoculars and a great fireworks show too !

More about the show in the AM.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My Show West 22 Mar 2007 22:51 #14762

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
As a first-timer to ShoWest, I was shocked. It was SO much more than I had expected. I've read the opinions of others that the glitz has died down, but I didn't see it. I was there mainly for the information from the exhibitors, which took me 8 hours to get through them all, but was pleasantly surprised by all that the full ticket provided. Highlights?

- Screened 6 movies
- Saw many pre-release trailers and great snippets including new 3-D footage
- An amazing live performance from "Hairspray" including Queen Latifah, and appearances from John Travolta, Michelle Pfieffer, and others from the movie.
- A 15-min comedy bit by Larry the Cable Guy (side-splitting funny)
- Patted Bart Simpson on the head
- Saw 15-minutes of "Transformers" in the back of a custom glossy black semi trailer (and received a $30 transformer toy/bag that my son freaked out over)
- Had Elizabeth Schue sit in front of me during the screening of her movie "Gracie".
- Saw the Stardust turn into... well, dust.
- Saw so many stars I had to write them down to remember to tell my wife.
- Filled a huge duffel bag with free movie goodies... and received a huge box full of more great goodies from 20th Century Fox in the mail today.
- Learned about a newly announced program where I can put in 2K digital projectors in my theater complete with server and RX/TX satellite on the roof for movie downloads... for FREE (with maintenance contract)!
- Spent lots of time with Mike during screenings, dinner, and events. He has great advice and was a real pleasure to visit with.

I now know which POS system to go with (RTS) after trying them all out myself, I found a great architect for my theater build, and have tons of info to read through yet. Dippin' dot and floss vending machines, for crying out loud!

Was it worth it to me? Heck yea, twice over.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: My Show West 23 Mar 2007 13:52 #14763

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
Cinemateer said: "Learned about a newly announced program where I can put in 2K digital projectors in my theater complete with server and RX/TX satellite on the roof for movie downloads... for FREE (with maintenance contract)!"

Details!

Re: My Show West 23 Mar 2007 14:22 #14764

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
everyone is going to want to know how that works???????????????????

Re: My Show West 23 Mar 2007 19:53 #14765

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slapintheface:
everyone is going to want to know how that works???????????????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is pretty exciting... the beginning to full digital rollout. I'll start another thread in the Booth forum since it has to do with projectors and such.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: My Show West 03 Apr 2007 14:39 #14766

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
March9.....I was gone for 8 days to Showest and then came back, left immed (3 hours later) drove 1400 miles in 4 days, came back was home for 2.5 days and left for Boston for 3 days, came back and was here for 2 days and went down with the flu: just surfacing. So: in case you noticed I been outta here.

Showest 2.... Had a great show, met up with many old friends and some new ones too, the trade show was good but since I was not buying or selling it was slow going and mainly visiting. The screenings were good and could have used a few more. Hot Fuzz will be a big surprise hit. I have not laughed so hard in a long time. I very much missed as usual the coming attractions and simply do not understand why these are being skipped. No promo trailer packs in the goodie bags either. I was on time yet shut out of the opening ceremonies: this is really pathetic. You pay 900.00 + hotel + air and then you can't get in because it is in too small a room? Give me a break. Anyway... I jumped security and made it in but was po'ed. Stand out: Hairspray. OMG! The new Grease? Call me stupid: I like the dinners and the speeches, etc. etc. The get together hosted by ScreenTrade and DigiScreen was fun and relaxed though I missed many of the visitors who came early and left early. It was funny watching Larry The Cable Guy try to warm up the crowd but it was tough row to hoe. He is used to a self selected audience, I have seen him live, and when he gets "his people" they come alive. He was funny but left the city folks a little clueless. I came home with a truckload of stuff , met a lot of good people, had a great time, saw enough things to help me jigger my booking, and they blew up a hotel for me. So? Good enough for me. I'll see you next year.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: My Show West 04 Apr 2007 08:30 #14767

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We too had a great time. We were in search of ideas on the trade show floor so we spent a lot of time looking and talking. Had some good meals with new people who gave us some great ideas. Did this happen at every meal no, but we meet at least 2 or 3 new owners and got to exchange ideas. Other than hear on these blogs it is hard to do that everyday, so that alone could mean the convention was worth it. Let’s not forget all the friends we have meet there in the past and saw again.

New products were all around. Milk Shakes were one of the new items. We have them around here in Quick Trips and they are good but I had not considered them for the theatre. Our local chain has just put in several to test and he ordered several more at the convention because they were going so well. Other new items were a hot/cold coffee machine from Nestlé and a new popcorn popper cabinet with an elevator from Creators which used some of the ideas we had given them the last 2 years.

They needed more tables to stand or sit at for the meals was one big problem but most things started on time this year so that was a BIG plus. We even got a survey in our email to give feedback for the show ( Woe new owners can make a difference )
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction