Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Film being phased out in 2009!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Film being phased out in 2009!

Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 11:38 #14734

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
It was just announced that four of the largest studios will not be offering titles on film starting in Sept 2009, and it is expected that the other studios will follow suit!!! Holy cow, that is a LOT sooner than I think any of us expected. With the way they are pushing digital projectors (like at ShoWest), it really shouldn't surprise us that much. It also coincides with the estimated 19 titles being released in 3-D by 2009.

I'm not sure what this is going to mean to indies, second-runs, and drive-ins. There was no mention of the studios supplementing the cost of new digital equipment, but surely they have to figure out a way- fast.

I guess that answers my question on whether to install 35mm or digial equipment in my new theater build!
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 11:53 #14735

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Where did you read/hear that?

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 11:59 #14736

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Where are you getting this, and exactly who is making this announcement?

There's no possible way that a major studio could do this. They're still sending 35mm backup prints to theatres with digital equipment... at least in the cases I'm aware of in the Seattle area.

Add to this the fact that this stuff is just barely being talked about in countries other than the US, and maybe Canada and the UK, and discontinuing the use of film would be about as close to suicide as you could get.

A week or so back, a producer suggested he might do his next show exclusively in digital 3D, but only if enough machines had been installed by that time... and it seems that might have been the year you're talking about. Could that be what you saw?

Jack

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 12:05 #14737

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Ahh, ok... here it is:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961023.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

DreamWorks going 3-D in 2009
Studio to produce two versions of 'Aliens'
By BEN FRITZ
'Monsters vs. Aliens' will be DreamWorks Animation's first film developed in 3-D. Release is skedded for 2009.

DreamWorks Animation is joining the digital 3-D wave.
Studio plans to release all its pics in 3-D starting in 2009. That should give a major boost to the fledgling technology now available on just a few hundred digital cinema screens.

New digital 3-D exhibition process, enabled largely by technology company Real D, has been gaining significant interest in Hollywood recently. Fox will release the James Cameron-helmed "Avatar" in 3-D in 2009, and Disney will put "Meet the Robinsons" on about 600 digital 3-D screens this month.

DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg said the studio considered adding 3-D effects to some of its 2007 and 2008 releases but wanted to produce pics with the new exhib process in mind from the outset.

"We have not really been enthusiastic about turning 2-D into 3-D in post-production," Katzenberg said, referring to the way 3-D effects have been added to pics thus far. "It doesn't begin to touch the quality of product that is originated in 3-D."

DWA summer 2009 release "Monsters vs. Aliens" starts production this spring and will be made with 3-D in mind from the outset. Studio will produce two versions, with a standard version for nondigital screens, DVD and TV.

By waiting until 2009, studio will also benefit from a significantly higher availability of 3-D enabled digital screens.

"By that time, I think that in domestic markets we will be able to release a film entirely in 3-D," said Jim Tharp, prexy of domestic distribution for Paramount, which releases DreamWorks Animation pics.

There are just over 500 digital 3-D screens in the U.S., but that's expected to expand to several thousand by 2009.

While the studio is counting on its movies to be available exclusively in 3-D in the U.S., foreign markets will likely still be installing digital cinema systems, which are required for the new 3-D process.

Katzenberg will be discussing the studio's 3-D plans with exhibitors this week at ShoWest. Many in the exhibition industry have been getting excited about digital 3-D as a way to differentiate cinemas from home theater systems. In addition, many exhibs have been charging $1 or $2 more for 3-D films.

"This is the first thing I've ever seen that is an actual opportunity for the movie business to become something completely new and unreplicatable at home," observed Katzenberg.

He said production costs on DreamWorks toons will go up, but he's confident his studio will make up for it with added revenue.

After "Robinsons," next pic released on some 3-D screens will be Par's "Beowulf" this fall.

In 2008, New Line will release "Journey 3-D," the first live-action pic produced exclusively for the new technology.

Disney is also expected to release most of its future toons in digital 3-D, though the studio hasn't announced any definite plans beyond "Robinsons."

DreamWorks has hired Jason Clark, an exec producer on Sony's 3-D toon "Monster House," to head up its 3-D efforts along with Jim Mainard, the studio's head of research and development.

It has also tapped Phil McNally, who did 3-D work on Disney's "Chicken Little" and "Meet the Robinsons," to oversee 3-D for "Monsters vs. Aliens."

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 12:06 #14738

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Awww, CRAP!

My wife just looked over my shoulder and pointed at the date.

'scuse me while I go wipe the red off my face!

Gotme!

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 13:52 #14739

Yah, I was just going to jump in and say "April Fools!"
Since 1987

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 15:11 #14740

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
This is such a sick gamble with all this 3D. No matter how good it is I know from seeing Meet the Robinsons peopel are getting tired of these glasses already.
it is somehting that the studious are psuhing but I don't think everything can be produced in 3D.
And yes the theatre I am familar with a 15 ples In NY had digitial and also 35mm back up prints just in case.
And the same was with Nightmare before Xmas and Monster House. And there were many times those prints had to be threaded and shown due to tech problems with the Digital projectors.
It is nice to have these projectors in one or two of a multiplex but good ole film is more reliable.
Well will see and only time can tell.

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 16:58 #14741

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
You're a great sport, Jack!

I just had to mix things up today- it's tradition! And film lives on...
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: Film being phased out in 2009! 01 Apr 2007 20:07 #14742

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I expect them to start the phase out of 35mm in 2008. There will be a lot fewer 35mm prints around, once the real rollout begins with DCIP and their 15,000 + screens.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction