Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby anyone live with opera?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: anyone live with opera?

anyone live with opera? 27 Mar 2007 15:47 #14701

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
The Met is doing simulcast with some theatres. Anyone know what the story is?

Read this link first.....www.emergingpictures.com/emci_brochure.pdf

Here's a blogger.....

February 26, 2007
Recent Entries

When you gotta go, you gotta go
Opera simulcast hits a snag
An official birthday card
There's more to this yarn ...
She was very hungry - and loud
Taking the high road
Jacob who?
Asparagus to go
Fly fishing in the checkout line
The wine tour

Opera simulcast hits a snag
Theater No. 9 at the Edwards Mira Mesa Cinema was nearly packed on Saturday. The live broadcast of Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin" from the Metropolitan Opera in New York was about to begin. The lights went down and the curtain went up to reveal tenor Dimitri Hvorostovsky seated alone on an empty stage. Red-yellow-and-orange leaves started falling all around him.

The music began and suddenly, the screen went black. No. No. Noooooo! Was this part of the opera? I turned around and looked up at the projection window. It was dark. Had the projectionist started everything and gone out for popcorn? Or had the satellite encountered something in the cosmos?

People in the audience started murmuring and were promptly shushed. Someone called out, "Show some respect!" A woman loudly replied, "I AM respectful, but I can't see a darn thing!"
Laughter and more shushing.

I started wondering if it would have been better to save the 18 bucks and listen to the opera at home. But the other two simulcasts I'd seen had run without a hitch, so I remained hopeful.

Finally, the woman next to me ran out to speak to management. She came back and muttered something about a conference call to New York. With dismay, I realized that we couldn't hit "rewind"--this was live.

Suddenly, there was light in the projection booth and the picture came back. The opera resumed with nary a hiccup and everyone was mesmerized until the final heart-rending aria.

A potential techno-disaster averted.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited March 27, 2007).]
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction