Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Local filmaker Bookings

Local filmaker Bookings 05 Mar 2007 10:22 #14618

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I was talking to a friend and he was telling me the local theater has local filmmakers present there movies at the theater.
They are mostly horror movies shot ON DV and projected on the screen with a digital projector. He has them premier there movies on like a Thursday after the theater has closed for its regular shows.
They have only 7 o'clock shows during the week. They have the showings at 9 usually. Anyone is welcome to come.
They split 70% for theater owner and 30% for the filmmaker. Believe it or not they pack the place in.
Now remember these are local filmmakers trying to make it and shoot there movies on Video and edit on the computer. There just trying to get there stuff shown. There are no rites or studios involved.
Does anyone else do this and is it okay to use your theater for this?

[This message has been edited by jacker5 (edited March 05, 2007).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Local filmaker Bookings 11 Mar 2007 19:24 #14619

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Maybe this was missed the first time casue I had no response. Can anyone fill me in on this?

Re: Local filmaker Bookings 11 Mar 2007 23:24 #14620

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I've never done this, but it seems to me that you can use your theatre for anything that's legally allowable in your community.

If any copyrighted material is included on the "film", such as background music, dialogue from commercial films, snippets from tv shows (like if the camera is showing a TV or playing a radio in the background), it might be a good idea to establish that the producer has the proper clearances to include the material. If nothing else, you might want to check with an attorney who has some experience in the entertainment business.

If you're covered and nothing can come back to bite you, this sounds like a great idea!

Re: Local filmaker Bookings 14 Mar 2007 09:07 #14621

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
RodeoJack hit it on the head. I would a few things since I do this quite a bit. It works out very well when we do it, but it is a very unsteady way to bring in product. Some lessons learned:

Make it a known policy that any unsolicited screening DVDs become your property and will NOT be returned. I get really tired of "I sent this to you six months ago and I never got it back." I usually say, "It was so bad we used the DVD as a coaster." An enclosed SASE guarantees nothing.

Also, in the first discussion make sure they know what the split will be. Ambiguity here will bite you later. Make sure they know they don't get what the studios get unless they have a national marketing campaign, trailers, and one-sheets.

Make sure you view the work before screening. Nothing like a brutal rape scene when the theater is full. "Oh, did i forget to mention that?"

Do not do free showings and expect the snack bar to carry you. People who show up for free showings are generally too cheap to buy anything and have a real sense of entitlement.

If they decide to four-wall your auditorium, make sure you know EVERYTHING the event is about. Nothing like finding out it's a fund raiser for a controversial cause that will have the other side showing up with torches and axe handles.

Make it clear they cannot bring and sell their own food/drink on your health permit/liquor license.

If it doesn't look like it's gonna be fun, don't do it.

[This message has been edited by Avalon (edited March 14, 2007).]
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Local filmaker Bookings 15 Mar 2007 02:20 #14622

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Well said, thanks a bunch! You cleared up alot of issues and answered my question perfectly!

Re: Local filmaker Bookings 19 Mar 2007 08:59 #14623

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Split????
I do this but make it a flat rental. No reason I should not get paid. Most of the people I have done don't have enough show up to make a split. Most also don't charge but have a free donation bucket. The last one we did actually had a large crowd and I did a good concession and got the rent. Now they are working on their number 2 movie.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction