Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby screentrade magazine editor speaks
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: screentrade magazine editor speaks

screentrade magazine editor speaks 28 Feb 2007 10:52 #14451

• pgs
  • Fresh Boarder
When I tell you Bigscreenbiz.com readers I’m celebrating my fifth anniversary in the magazine business this year, you’ll all realize I’m a real novice in this industry.

I began by writing for another cinema publication in England and the cinema bug bit me in a big way. I spoke with many Exhibitors to get a pulse on what kind of articles and information are desired and expected. I continue to speak with regularly, every opportunity I get, and relish receiving emails and snail mail, even telephone calls, from Exhibitors and Suppliers wanting to share information or bark at me about something they read. Sometimes, if you can believe it, we even receive kudos regarding the information, position on issues and photographs Exhibitors and Suppliers see in screentrade.

I’m always open to and invite suggestions as to how better to communicate with Exhibitors, what kind of issues you believe to be at the top of the list, suggestions for addressing the issues and resolving them. I like to learn what you see as future issues, and how we can amplify them if they’re positive; how to circumvent or deal with them when they are less so. I like to present all sides, all perspectives on issues so they can be faced head on, eyes open, muskets drawn. If you don’t tell me, I cannot necessarily know what issues and interests are foremost.

In our next issue, the ShoWest and screentrade 5th anniversary issue, we feature an interview with K.C. Suri, an expanding independent; we have letters from drive-in operators incensed at being left out of the digital equation, responses from Exhibitors to our random poll question: what do you think of trade organizations (we’re still accepting responses, by the way. There are dedicated features: seating, concessions, film marketing, ticketing, digital and sound, to name a few. We review films and theatre locations and do so in an unbiased and honest manner.

We also bravely feature Jim Lavorato and his impartial treatment of digital which probably doesn’t gain us many Supplier friends, but we think his perspective and experience to be invaluable to you Exhibitors.

We know our magazine is being read by virtue of the vibrant and growing letters pages – readers are reacting. What more could a magazine want?! Actually, I’ll tell you – more of the same.

We want and need you to participate, to be vocal, to take positions and to let us know how to do our jobs better. I’m using both “I” and “we” because we now have Pamala Stanton who is at the Michigan offices of screentrade magazine. Always feel free to contact either of us. You’ll find us at the major trade shows and, if you watch this site closely, you’ll also note we are sponsoring seminars in random locations throughout the U.S.

Our magazine is read around the world. The issues in the U.S. are experienced everywhere there are cinemas and people to attend them. This is the beauty of what we are experiencing – it is universal. Seventy per cent of the industry is in the U.S. and most eyes are watching you.

Of course, when you read screentrade, you’ll find a “u” or two extra spicing up the words. Those would be words like favour and neighbour, i.e., spelled properly. Don’t worry – we speak the same language – Cinema.

For subscription information, please see our banner ad on this site.

Philip Turner

[This message has been edited by pgs (edited February 28, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited February 28, 2007).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: screentrade magazine editor speaks 28 Feb 2007 17:06 #14452

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
What I love about ScreenTrade is that it has a really talented writer. Moi. O)

All jest aside: I find the magazine to be very helpful and readable and topical and with a gentle slant toward my end of the exhibitor screen count equation (5).

We'll see you at Show West Phil and Pam!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction