Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Booking Fee's

Booking Fee's 02 Apr 2001 17:43 #1443

• Bird
  • Senior Boarder
I know this had been discussed before, But I could not find it.
For those of you that use a booking company, how much do you pay per screen per week? I got a $40 per screen per week quote today for a twin - is that reasonable? (Also, does that include the accouting fee, where the booking company will take care of the film %'s, and just send you a bill for the correct amount)

Also, Do you tell the booker what you want to play, and then he/she executes that if possible, or does the booker let you know whats available for your theatre, and then you choose?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Booking Fee's 03 Apr 2001 16:14 #1444

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I pay $350 a month for booking at my single screen art house. When starting out, bookers are very useful since it gets you signed up with the studios with a lot less hassle than knocking on their doors with your hat in your hand. I booked my own place for a year before hiring it out and i know that my booker gets me better prices when we settle a pic. He handles the idiots at the movie companies who lose your last three BORs and want them faxed yesterday. he handles all the shipping arranging and if the print doesn't arrive, he or his staff is rasing hell with Techni-boo-boo. gets them moving faster, i believe. my booker will map out a schedule and it is very changeable. if i want to bring in something different, it's very little trouble. if i want to find something old, he can do that. after you get a bit of a track record going, the booker will know how good you are at knowing what you want: if I wanted to do a retrospective of all William Shatners non-Star Trek movies, my booker will tell me i'm out of my mind. if it out-grosses "Life is Beautiful" he'll handle my next wierd request with no comment.
A biggie with my booker is that he handles a lot of screens which means if some movie company wants to try jerking around one of his clients, that compnay is isolating itself from ALL my booker's clients. It makes them much easier to deal with.
Last September, shortly after a vacation, I landed in the hospital. My health insurance had been canceled three months before and ICU gets damned expensive very quickly. My booker kept the movie companies off my ass. When i was back in the saddle, he and his secretary came up with the "pay these guys first" list so i could stay in business. after 7 weeks of crouching tiger, i'm pretty much caught up. that is in no small part due to my booker. needless to say, i'll be hanging onto mine for awhile.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Booking Fee's 04 Apr 2001 13:21 #1445

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We pay our booker about $50 per screen per week. So that sounds fair. Booking is a collabortive process. You ask for what your want, the booker tells you what is available adn you go from there. It sounds as though Avalon is paying alot for their booker but then they are getting a great deal of service out of them as well.

[This message has been edited by Large (edited April 04, 2001).]

Re: Booking Fee's 04 Apr 2001 15:52 #1446

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
When we started out we were paying 45.00 per screen or 135.00 per week. We had a very tough time with our bookers as they were very unhelpful and it was anything but collabortive so we took it on ourselves. If you're new I'd say 1. find a good booker as Large and Avalon say a good one will really cure your bumps as you start and even if you're as established as they are it is clearly a good relationship to lean on. That said. 40.00 is a very good deal in my opinion. I'd go with him. check references. and pay your bills on time. Any single screen wants to be in good favor with the disribs! Best/ Mike

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Booking Fee's 05 Apr 2001 00:04 #1447

• James
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm also looking for a booker. An email with names and numbers for people you recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

Re: Booking Fee's 05 Apr 2001 11:42 #1448

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Again, you get what you pay for. If you like handling a lot of your booking stuff, bookers that do less are less expensive. My thing is reducing stress. My booker is expensive, but he's a one call fit-it program (and he takes my calls). bad print, lost print, settling on rent, and so on. Last year he even called me to tell me they were about to plow under 1300 rocking theater seats at a multiplex demolition -- so i now have new(er) confortable seating. He even owns his own theater so I know he knows what i'm talking about. He goes to all the film festivals and sends out written reports on what he think will be big so we know even before the movie companies start pushing it (and it's a great way to write off the trip). Again, i know i can do all this myself, but life is too short to spend all day on the phone dealing with people i wouldn't wanna share an elevator with. Starting out, i'd say get the one that will do the most for you. It'll be the cheapest education you can get.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Booking Fee's 05 Apr 2001 11:43 #1449

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Again, you get what you pay for. If you like handling a lot of your booking stuff, bookers that do less are less expensive. My thing is reducing stress. My booker is expensive, but he's a one call fit-it program (and he takes my calls). bad print, lost print, settling on rent, and so on. Last year he even called me to tell me they were about to plow under 1300 rocking theater seats at a multiplex demolition -- so i now have new(er) confortable seating. He even owns his own theater so I know he knows what i'm talking about. He goes to all the film festivals and sends out written reports on what he think will be big so we know even before the movie companies start pushing it (and it's a great way to write off the trip). Again, i know i can do all this myself, but life is too short to spend all day on the phone dealing with people i wouldn't wanna share an elevator with. Starting out, i'd say get the one that will do the most for you. It'll be the cheapest education you can get.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Booking Fee's 05 Apr 2001 13:27 #1450

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I am constantly amazed that 6 years after we first purchased our theatre that there is this quality of discussion available for newbies. When we started in there was absolutely not one source of help. The trade mags like Box and Film wouldn't ever have a article on subjects like this. It was strictly hands on, word of mouth, and experience. Now. with a little of reading and some time you can learn what it took years to acquire. That#'s the power of this web thing!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction