Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby ShoWest Attendees?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ShoWest Attendees?

ShoWest Attendees? 09 Feb 2007 21:13 #14421

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I know there are a lot of Eastcoasters here, but is anyone else planning on attending ShoWest? It will be my first time, so I'm really looking forward to it.

And for those who attended ShoEast, did anyone set up an informal gathering between bigscreenbiz.com regulars? I think it would be fun, and would enable us to put faces to usernames.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 09 Feb 2007 22:57 #14422

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I have attended the Video trade show (VSDA) in Vegas for the past 6 years. Each year has gotten a tad worse.

Looking at the costs to attend Sho-west, I guess I can't complain too much about the cost to attend the VSDA show.

So what do you get for $845 (less than $500 for the VSDA) vs $475 (less than $150 for the VSDA)? PLease be specific as I find the showest website to be lacking.

My goals: 1) To meet dist. reps to be ready to do my own booking if I choose to do so in the future. 2) To look for suppliers for (what I hope will happen) expansion. and 3) To meet people like you all.

What I get the most of the VSDA show is the networking with others. Unfortunatley the majority of the vendors/studios do not give us much attention and I come away feeling that I really interrupted their good time in Vegas. The seminars usually offer minimal value as well (even though I have been a panelist many times in the past).

The food at the VSDA show is not my flavor. I am a midwest steak and potatoes guy. So any food that we did get at the parties, lunches etc. always left me wanting more. Plus I do not drink much anymore.

Do you need the full pass to see the movies? I am not too concerned about seeing the movies as we are mainstream, family type theatre. So far there has not been too many choosing between different movie choices. I guess seeing the indies might make my buying easier for the video stores, but $370 a person easier?

BTW, we (VSDA) have also been at the Venetian or Bellagio for less than $140 per night the last 4 years. So Showest could cost me an extra $900-1000 more than than VSDA. I hope it is worth it.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

[This message has been edited by rufusjack (edited February 09, 2007).]

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 10 Feb 2007 13:00 #14423

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Rufus, thanks a lot for your input. I haven't been to the VSDA, but I'm attending ShoWest for completely different reasons. I'm in the first stages of building a new theater and want to speak with as many builders, booking agents, equipment suppliers, etc. as possible while I'm there. I also want to learn as much as possible by attending the seminars and through networking. Basically, be a sponge with a bag full of brochures. The rest, for me, is just gravy.

Just like you, I found the website details to be very minimal, so I asked Mike (administrator) what the extra ~$500 gets you for the "full" package. His reply was:

"The full ticket gets you piles, a full suitcase, of movie promo junk hats-t****rts-etc, all the 3 days meals and drinks for free, all the events and films and see the stars, etc. I think for the extra 500.00 it is worth it."

I don't know about the types of movies shown there, and I would like to know more about this as well. Is it only Indies? Maybe someone who has attended ShoEast/West can elaborate.

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 10 Feb 2007 13:04 #14424

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
BTW, the "t****rts" in my reply above is supposed to be T-Shirts. The 't' and 'r' were transposed, thereby making 'shirt' into a naughty word.
)

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 10 Feb 2007 15:28 #14425

• Senior Boarder
This will be our fourth year at ShoWest. The first two years were spent on the trade show floor the entire time learning all we could about the business. We got our vendors there, and our architect, ff&e folks, on-screen ads, menu boards,etc. Last year was the first time we bougtht the full package, as it was the first time we had the energy to socialize and do fun stuff. It was entertaining, although we didn't know any other independents and would have loved to talk to some. Maybe this trip.....

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 10 Feb 2007 20:01 #14426

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
I am wrestling with myself on this year though I am leaning.

The difference is this: you have already paid for the air and the hotel... (by the way I generally get a hotel via priceline for +/- 55.00 per night) I rent a car and valet parking in Vegas is the single coolest and free thing about the dang town!, The trade show tik gets you into the trade show + some seminars that leave a lot to be desired. The extra 500.00 gets you a pile of stuff/swag, every meal for 3-5 days, free drinks at non stop events, all the movies, dinner and hanging with the stars: for example last show saw Cars introduced by Mr. Katzenberg, etc. Star Wars roll out with all the stars + storm troopers, big final dinner with lots of stars. It's all a bit of a burn out but if you are coming all the way: it is worth the extra 500.00 I think the food is quite adequate in quality, some do not.

What you will not get is a chance to meet with your area distrib reps unless you get very lucky. They are there but wear no badges and even knowing them and looking for them I can't find them.

I am going to find a ballon and put it on my table so we can meet up!

The movies and trailers are helpful to me as it jump starts my memory going into the season.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 10 Feb 2007 22:52 #14427

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I don't understand why the ShoWest website is so lacking in information. It would help a lot to know what movies/trailers will be shown, seminar subjects, who the stars are, food menu, etc. That would make the decision a lot easier instead of just hoping. For myself, seeing a room full of stormtroopers would be worth it right there!

Mike, if you do decide to go, please be sure to let us all know the color/type of the balloon on your table.

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 10 Feb 2007 23:51 #14428

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Showwest is geared to the large corporate chains-this is a perk/vacation for the home office crew. Because the money isn't out of their pocket the details are largely irrelevant.
As I have said before the only real value comes from the trade show which you can get into for free. I paid full boat for Showeast and was very disappointed. I would rather save the money for some regional early screenings in New York or Boston.

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 11 Feb 2007 00:01 #14429

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
We can only get away for 3 days as we do not have the trained staff that we would need to be gone for more. So we will arriving at approx. 1 pm on Tuesday and leaving approx. 6 pm on Thursday. Does that change your thoughts?

Food: Is it one menu item for everyone or do you have some choice in it? Buffet? Again, I am not too excited about free meals if there is no choice as it usually is something weird that I do not like.

Dist. Reps: That is disapointing that it is difficult to meet with these folks. Mike, do you recommend anything to increase your chances? Maybe email/call before hand and set up an appointment?

We will stay at the base hotel (BAlly's/Paris) as I beleive that you get the most out of the show that way (I did it both ways with the VSDA show).

Thanks

Mike

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 11 Feb 2007 00:15 #14430

• candjb97
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, Long time reader of this forum that is going to Showest for the first time.
Hope to meet up with with some of you.
Here is our website if you are interested www.gejutheatres.com
Later

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 11 Feb 2007 02:20 #14431

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
The ShoWest website is now showing the Bally's and Paris as both being sold out.... even before the schedule of events is posted! Here's the link:
http://www.vnufilmgroup.com/filmexpo/showest/general/hotel.jsp

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 11 Feb 2007 10:29 #14432

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
I have been doing these shows for many, many years. In the late 70's and early 80's I would attend Show-a-rama in Kansas City. While this was a smaller show, it was much more informative and intimate. I actually spent one evening in the bar talking trade with Chuck Norris. Kurt Russell spent two days on the trade floor pushing his new movie "Used Cars". In the 80's, Iwent to both Showest and VSDA. Showest was pretty cool then because the studios would compete with each other to put on the best presentation of their new lineup.One year, Paramount brought out at least 15 of their biggest stars on one evening...It blew us away.
Now, because many of the medium sized chains have been eaten up by the majors, fewer and fewer bookers are making the important decisions of how to fill screens. The studios don't need to impress us anymore. It's bad when Coca-Cola brings out the biggest stars each year.
Nato is a joke. I joined last year only because Pepsi said I had to belong to this group to be eligible for National buying status. Nato's focus is on The large chains only. They give lip service to us but "show me the money" Last year I entered three major promotions in the Marketing and Acheivement awards. Not one award went to an independent and after seeing the winners and their promotions, I was embarrassed for NATO. Coloring contests for shrek??? Narrow Guage is right...It is a perk that the chains use for their people.
Here is what I do now. On Sunday I fly to Vegas and rent a car. My family and I then immediately drive to L.A. and we spend Monday, tuesday, and wednesday there. During that time, I usually have lunch with at least two of my studio reps. They also help me with studio tours and VIP passes if we must go to the theme parks. In the evenings we always go to one of L.A. many great theatres (multiplexes not included) Go to the Arclight and it will change your life if you are a true showman. Wednesday night we drive back to Vegas, spend the night, and on Thursday we spend the morning at the Showest trade-floor.

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 11 Feb 2007 16:58 #14433

• Mike
  • Administrator
Food: is better than the average standard American, chicken, steak, fish, veggies, salads, ...you can tell them you don't want the meat-fish-etc and they will subsitute but the food is definitely not "weird". Plus there are theme events: BBQ, Diner, etc. That they are servining 1500 people the food is remarkably good.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 12 Feb 2007 10:44 #14434

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Not sure if we are going to make it this year do to family reasons.

Yes it is a paid for vacation with perks. the trade show is really valuable but it will take time and you need to know what you are interested in so not to waste time.

We have meet a lot of independents there. But I work at talking to people. We meet Mike there and is how we found out about this wonderful site. We have friends now we only see there and showeast.(like Mike) Other than sites like this how do we all meet????

Is it crowded YES
Is it exhausting YES
Do you spend a long time waiting in line YES
Are the seminars mostly about big chains YES
Do you get a lot of graft YES
Can you meet some really nice people and exchange good ideas YES
IS it worth it.... YES for us you have to make it worth it for you.
Unlike Mike I like to stay at the event hotels ( comes from working for a large corpration ) and when I am tied I can go to the room drop off stuff and not have to drive in the midnight traffic of Vegas.

Re: ShoWest Attendees? 16 Feb 2007 16:28 #14435

• Mike
  • Administrator
The convenience of the site rooms are nice/ I have done it both ways/ it is just that for 130.00 per night extra x 4-5 nights... I can't justify it. Plus I like Downton Vegas.....And...... I like driving at night through Vegas!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction