Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drapes

Drapes 12 Feb 2007 12:37 #14410

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
I've got a drape person cming up with idea for our theaters but some of the material I am selecting is pricey.

Is it unheard of to have limited drapes and painted walls??? Are there any sound guidelines to follow. I'm lookin at cost BUT I don't want to put up wall drapes that are have no style.

Is there a material that can be substitued for drapes that is "inexpensive" or used in combination with limited drape work?

Thanks.
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Drapes 12 Feb 2007 12:45 #14411

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I've seen carpet over concrete, carpet over soundboard rectangles, painted soundboard, strategically-placed ceiling tiles and small areas of painted cinderblock.

I'm sure there are plenty of guidelines to follow when using any wall covering, not the least of which is fire retardant certification. I'd sure want to find someone who's actually applied some of these methods, before spending money on any of it. Acoustically, it seems easier to get it wrong if you're shooting in the dark.

Re: Drapes 13 Feb 2007 12:52 #14412

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
Does anyone have a good source for acoustical wall insulation that would go behind wall drapes?

Thanks

Tom
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine

Re: Drapes 13 Feb 2007 13:30 #14413

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
You might check with Hadden Theatre Supply or American Cinema Supply. Both can probably get what you need.

Re: Drapes 13 Feb 2007 14:17 #14414

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
What about K13 spray on insulation/acoustic material? I've read some good things about it. I know I saw somewhere that Gordon McLeod had mentioned it for use on theater ceilings. From what I've read, it might be a decent choice for walls as well, especially behind drapes. It's fire rated, comes in different colors (limited choice but can be custom colored as a pricier alternative) and is supposed to have a texture "something like carpet". The few articles I found referencing cost said it was comparable if not slightly cheaper than installing bat insulation. One possible drawback I see is that it seems to require a licensed installer, so availability may be limited in some areas if nobody is licensed in your area. Another possible problem might be if people (maybe kids) would pick at any exposed areas that are within reach. I know that when I was a boy, I and other kids used to pull bits of rock wool insulation from the ceiling of the high school gym-- just because we could (while standing on the top row). At the time it didn't seem malicous, but now it's obvious that our curiosity was not a good thing. We didn't leave too many bare spots, but I could envision bigger problems with today's kids. Then when there is damage, would you have to call a licensed person to make repairs? I'm sure it would be hard to get somebody to come out for the tiny amount of work needed.

Maybe it might be better to only use it in areas out of reach or hidden from view.

Re: Drapes 13 Feb 2007 14:45 #14415

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
What about K13 spray on insulation/acoustic material? I've read some good things about it. I know I saw somewhere that Gordon McLeod had mentioned it for use on theater ceilings. From what I've read, it might be a decent choice for walls as well, especially behind drapes. It's fire rated, comes in different colors (limited choice but can be custom colored as a pricier alternative) and is supposed to have a texture "something like carpet". The few articles I found referencing cost said it was comparable if not slightly cheaper than installing bat insulation. One possible drawback I see is that it seems to require a licensed installer, so availability may be limited in some areas if nobody is licensed in your area. Another possible problem might be if people (maybe kids) would pick at any exposed areas that are within reach. I know that when I was a boy, I and other kids used to pull bits of rock wool insulation from the ceiling of the high school gym-- just because we could (while standing on the top row). At the time it didn't seem malicous, but now it's obvious that our curiosity was not a good thing. We didn't leave too many bare spots, but I could envision bigger problems with today's kids. Then when there is damage, would you have to call a licensed person to make repairs? I'm sure it would be hard to get somebody to come out for the tiny amount of work needed.

Maybe it might be better to only use it in areas out of reach or hidden from view.

Re: Drapes 13 Feb 2007 16:48 #14416

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
If you decide to use carpeting in the walls make sure the carpet has a vertical burn rating. Horz. burn ratings will not impress fire inspectors. Any drapes you use MUST be preapproved by the fire department. Do not spend the bucks then have to take them all down. Soundfold is a good product sold by good people and comes in many different styles and is naively non-flammable in many cases. I use it for everything to keep my FD happy.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Drapes 19 Feb 2007 13:58 #14417

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Fabric or carpet whatever it may be is all there to look good and deaden/trap/catch sound.

You can do it yourself.

Wrap/ make panels of black fireproof duct insulation and mount on blocks off walls so that sound a=can get in behind and be trapped.

Any fireproof fabric will catch sound.

Paint the walls weird and put up sound panels and you are done.

Any theatre supply place will sell you the fireproof fabric and you + a staple gun can do quite a bit.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Drapes 19 Feb 2007 14:06 #14418

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
I just put a used 20' x 36' theatre curtain "on eBay".... that will save you some money!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Drapes 26 Feb 2007 12:02 #14419

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
So that I understand correctly....If you put drapes on the walls you don't need to put acoustical material "behind" the wall coverings? The drapes/wallcovering can simply go over drywall?

I will have acoustical material behind the screen and on the sides for any bounce back etc..

We are trying to do this in a tight budget. I've got a call into Major for pricing on material.

Thanks for the great help and advise
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine

Re: Drapes 26 Feb 2007 14:38 #14420

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
when I put together my theater on a budget I removed the old moldy acoustic tiles and then painted the plaster behind to get rid of that moldy smell. I then used electrical conduit to make curtain rods from and put floor to ceiling fabric panels up. We used extra panels behind the back row (opposite the screen and speakers) with extra gathers to help absorb the sound. It works great and was cheap. Don't forget the ceiling and floor though, they reflect as much as any other "wall".

"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction