Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Upgrading to DTS
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upgrading to DTS

Upgrading to DTS 03 Apr 2001 02:53 #1439

• Bird
  • Senior Boarder
How much are we talking about to upgrade to a DTS system. We currently have a Dolby CP-50, with mono surround I believe.
Can you find USED DTS systems anywhere, and if so, where and for how much? Also, what is a ballpark figure to get it all professionally installed?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrading to DTS 03 Apr 2001 08:30 #1440

A new Dts unit is around $6000.00 I don't know about used ones but ask around all the used equipment dealers because with all these closings that equipment is floating somewhere. You would want to upgrade your speakers to give a better frequency response to the digital. As far as installing cost. I could not tell you. I have installed a couple and they are not that hard. Main thing is making sure that the delay for the reader is set so that it lip syncs.
Good Luck

Re: Upgrading to DTS 03 Apr 2001 09:54 #1441

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Ask a dealer for the "B" stock DTS system. That's a dealer demo unit which is basically brand new and comes with a full factory warranty. You can save half the cost by getting "B" stock units. Of course there are some used units floating around from all the theater closings.

Your CP-50 should have the latest cards in it (in particular the Cat 150 E matrix card and SR noise reduction cards). The DTS-6D manual shows the modifications that need to be done to the backplane board and the two DTS breakout cards you also need to add. Download the DTS-6D manual from Film Tech (www.film-tech.com) and look at most of the rear pages.

Re: Upgrading to DTS 04 Apr 2001 11:35 #1442

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Have you tried looking through or Directory to see if you might find a vendor there who could be of service? See if you can get a demo or a slightly used model before you spend the big bucks on a new one. With all the recent closings of the big theaters it seems that a deal could be struck somewhere.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction