Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where is NATO?

Where is NATO? 10 Feb 2007 21:33 #14363

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Cinema treasures is reporting that theaters in Europe are actively opposing the shrinking theatrical window . With active boycotts European theaters are pushing back against companies such as 20th century fox. Go to cinematreasures.com for the complete story.
Unfortunately it seems that theaters in Europe are much more unified and more importantly proactive than cinemas in America. As I have said consisitently NATO is a complete joke and needs to be completely revamped with real executives who have real experience in the trenches. Fithian your legacy will be a lack of vision and an abundance of inertia.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where is NATO? 11 Feb 2007 00:29 #14364

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Let me first say that I spent 2 years on the board of trustees with the iDEA (the independent part of the EMA (old VSDA, Video Store operators) and know how frustrating it can be working with trade associations.

What are the issues that NATO has failed on?

Where should NATO be on windows? What length of windows do you want?

What are the successes of NATO? The EMA (old VSDA) has been extremely successful on legislative and government issues.

I do not know much about NATO. I do believe their policy of not allowing new people in before they open up is dissapointing.

Re: Where is NATO? 11 Feb 2007 02:25 #14365

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Rufus, I couldn't agree more. I would love to join NATO, but as we have not opened yet, I'm very disappointed that we're not allowed. This means no InFocus/Box Office magazines either. It would be interesting to hear their reasoning behind this.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: Where is NATO? 13 Feb 2007 01:51 #14366

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
There is no more In Focus magazine. Anyone can subscribe to Box Office magazine.

Re: Where is NATO? 13 Feb 2007 15:55 #14367

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The basis purpose of NATO is to keep the theatre owners in line and to have them follow lock step the mandates of the studios.
NATO is not an organization which is primarily interested in the welfare of the theatre owner.

Heaven help that theatre owners should take matters into their own hands as Garth Dubinsky did back in Christmas 1983. When Columbia (who at that time was owned by Coca Cola) decided only a couple of days before its release to postpone "The Last Emporer" it left many single screen theatres in major markets without a Christmas release. Dubinsky decided he had had enough and ordered that Coca Cola products be immediately pulled from his entire theatre chain. Of course NATO immediately tried to broker a deal. But heaven help they should try to prevent something like that from happening in the first place.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited February 13, 2007).]

Re: Where is NATO? 14 Feb 2007 16:41 #14368

• Senior Boarder
Could someone explain why I just received a January/February 2007 IN FOCUS magazine? I thought they were no longer in publication.

Re: Where is NATO? 14 Feb 2007 16:53 #14369

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Mine the one with all the InFocus covers on the cover. Says final issue on the lower left part of the front cover. Maybe the mailing label is covering it on the one you received.

Re: Where is NATO? 16 Feb 2007 07:11 #14370

• Senior Boarder
Well, duh, I guess I should've looked a little closer!

Re: Where is NATO? 16 Feb 2007 12:05 #14371

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I just read a letter from NATO to Lionsgate regarding theatrical windows. Basically it asked Lionsgate to clarify its' position. All NATO members were copied. Sounds like a good step to take to me. Hopefully, it will get a good response and then follow-up.

"What a crazy business"

Re: Where is NATO? 16 Feb 2007 16:37 #14372

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
I have a 1/2" thick report on what NATO has done over the last year. I don't know how much more anyone can expect someone to do. Even my friend John. Could they do more? Sure. Are they doing nothing? I don't believe it. It's not like it's the mafia and can make offers no one can refuse. As for the window..... we could all do our part to keep the window from shrinking by holding films for weeks and weeks when no one wants to see the films. Is that going to happen? I don't think so. One of the reasons the window keeps shrinking is that theatre operators dump pics because they can get the next big thing. Would we want NATo to start twisting our arm to hold pics so the window does not close? I don't think so. My theatre probably has more emplyees than NATO.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Where is NATO? 16 Feb 2007 19:10 #14373

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
My my, the amount of conspiracy-theorism and paranoia on the boards. If you don't like NATO, don't join. We are NATO members, and our CEO serves on their national Board of Directors. Of course, he had to sign a letter of subservience to the chains to get on the board (roll eyes) and we are happily marching in lock-step with the studios in a world of bliss.

Re: Where is NATO? 17 Feb 2007 00:06 #14374

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
My point was to highlight the aggressive efforts that theaters in Europe have undertaken in an attempt to maintain a viable window. I think the active boycott that these theaters employed was by far a more proactive approach than Fithians letter writing and retoric. If you have not read the article about this go to cinematreasures.org
Clearly the issue over windows is
the most pressing problem in our industry.
All this stuff about digital projection is irrelevant without viable windows. For those of us who actually own a theater and have invested thousands of our own money these are truely uneasy times. The fact that the industry leadership is particularly weak only compounds the issue.

Re: Where is NATO? 17 Feb 2007 01:15 #14375

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Are there any trade organizations elsewhere in the US more effective at uniting such a large number of independent owners? Problem is, everybody's a Chief, nobody wants to be an Indian. They each have their own little fiefdom that they like and run.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction