Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 9:00 shows

9:00 shows 14 Jan 2007 18:32 #14268

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Our late shows are not very busy. We are talking about cranking the tunes-etc.etc. Sort of how they perked up late bowling a few years ago. To attract that younger group who is old enough to stay up. Ever do anything like that? Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 9:00 shows 15 Jan 2007 08:55 #14269

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes our lates shows are slow too. I am not sure what you mean here. Who shows up early enough to hear tunes before the show?

Re: 9:00 shows 15 Jan 2007 13:56 #14270

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Our lobby and theatres are generally quietr and run towards the genteel. I'm thinking a bit more lively. Cage dancers?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 9:00 shows 16 Jan 2007 14:56 #14271

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
For Cage Dancers I will have to come visit to check it out myself!

Re: 9:00 shows 17 Jan 2007 15:20 #14272

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
2:00 PM is a good show time.
5:00 PM seems to be a weak show time.
6:00 PM can be a good show time.
7:00 PM is a great show time.
8:00 PM is a good show time.
9:00 PM seems to be a slow show time.
10:00 PM is a lousy show time.

I have always wondered why we use 7:00 PM and 9:30ish as our base show times. 7:00 is my preferred dinner time so a 7:00 PM show ruins dinner for me. 5:30 is too early to eat and in smaller towns all the restaurants are closed at 9:00 PM.

I like 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM show times.

6:00 PM allows one to leave work, collect their partner and get to the show. Then have dinner afterwards.

An 8:00 PM show allows one to leave work, go home, have a nice dinner and make the show. You still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

7:00 & 10:00 might work in the city but I think any smaller city to town might move their shows earlier. The 7:00 PM show allows the most show times between Noon and Midnight, but is that best for your town?

But it might be that I grew up in a small town where the show times were always 6 & 8-something, with a 2 PM show on weekends and rainy days.

Changing your show times might require reeducation of your public. Perhaps a cross promotion with the area restaurants.

Re: 9:00 shows 18 Jan 2007 07:20 #14273

• Senior Boarder
I am in a small town, and we tried 6 and 8 pm showtimes in the beginning for the reasons you mentioned. We struggled, it was too ingrained here to go to the movies at 7 and 9. Once we changed to those times, everyone settled down and started to show up.

Re: 9:00 shows 18 Jan 2007 12:25 #14274

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Yah... a local theatre, which had been running single, 8pm shows for decades changed to 7:30. They stayed with it, but I heard it was pretty tough for awhile.

Re: 9:00 shows 18 Jan 2007 20:29 #14275

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
My singles' showtimes are at 7:00, which I changed from 7:30 when I bought the places. It took years for people to realize the time change. I am wondering though if it would be worthwhile to have a 6 and 8-something when the big movies come out? I sold out the first four or five days of the last Pirates and had to turn people away. But they did come back.

Would I just be there longer for no additional income--taking into account personnel costs, heat, etc?

Re: 9:00 shows 18 Jan 2007 23:00 #14276

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
At our single screen, we do a 8PM on the weekends and its been that showtime for many years and many people are use to it. When we do open new movies on the break, or get a movie that has performed very well, we generally do a 5PM & 8PM show. The Friday 5PM shows usually aren't real busy, but Saturday and Sunday shows tend to do better. But our 8PM shows are what bring most of the people. The earlier shows work really well for movies that draw kids because that way they aren't getting home late.

Re: 9:00 shows 23 Jan 2007 02:57 #14277

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We do 4:30 and 7PM shows Mon. -Thurs. No 9PM unless it's the weekend, or all summer. It seems to work although if the movie is too adult oriented, we don't get too much business at the 4:30 show. We get at least what we did at the 9:00 shows at 4:30, and we make the seniors and kids very happy.

Re: 9:00 shows 24 Jan 2007 21:06 #14278

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
We've run the 4-5 p.m. set and the 7 p.m. set for the past few years during the week. The previous owners did the 7 p.m. and the 9 p.m. set during the week. I'm reasonably sure that we do as much or more on the earlier set than they used to do on the 9 p.m. set and it has some advantages. It allows us to offer the matinee discount everyday so that people have a choice. It also has us open during the daytime hours so that people running errands can stop in for advance tickets, gift certificate sales, pickup lost items, ask for donations and all the trivia of life. It makes it a lot easier to get your deliveries if you are coming in during the day rather than only at night. I never understand the people who absolutely must make their deliveries by 10 a.m. to a movie theater. (FedEX, you know who you are). Even some of my concession suppliers think that we should be on the premises before noon. Of course we run full day schedules on any day that the kids are out of school.

Re: 9:00 shows 01 Feb 2007 19:01 #14279

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey Mike;

Read an article today about some town up north in your state that has naked bowling on Monday nights, and it's pretty successful.

Maybe you should have naked 9:00 movies once a week!

LT
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction