Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Opening Weekend

Opening Weekend 24 Jan 2007 01:35 #14249

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Im working on the business plan and I am going to incorporate my opening weekend strategy. Keep in mind that I am going to be running a 2nd run theater. Here is what I want to do:

A weekend of free movies such as (Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country, Napoleon Dynamite, Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings The Two Towers, Caddyshack, American Pie).

I am also doing a free outdoor concert on the Saturday of Grand Opening (where we will have a ribbon cutting ceremony, free hotdogs and cold drinks).

What are your takes on this? Any suggestions for other movies is appreciated as well. While I am asking, I am going to build a stage in the biggest room (occupancy 750). This allows me to do other events like concerts and performances. Have any of you tried this? I would take a Friday night and have the performance be the only thing that occurs in the main room, while the other 2 rooms show movies.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Opening Weekend 24 Jan 2007 07:47 #14250

• Senior Boarder
We are a first run theatre. We did an opening night of second runs with the admission being a canned food item to benefit local food pantries. We also had $1 popcorn and $1 pepsi that night. It was a big success and the community appreciated the benefit aspect.

Re: Opening Weekend 24 Jan 2007 11:18 #14251

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't think you'll be able to show Chronicles of Narnia because Disney usually doesn't let out any prints of a film after it comes out on DVD.

I like newbie's idea of doing a free admission in exchange for a canned food item.

As far as suggestions for other movies, I would suggest at least one movie that would be specifically for kids and families. You can check out Paramount because they have an entire collection of older films you could show and they're generally $150 (not including shipping costs).

Re: Opening Weekend 24 Jan 2007 13:15 #14252

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
free is good/ some will be unavailable/ you are always better off choosing pics that are still in release and not on dvd/ even when it's free people don't go to older pics as much.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Opening Weekend 24 Jan 2007 14:11 #14253

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
One problem with getting older titled features is that those prints might have film damage from poor film handling. Which could make for a really poor night in the booth on opening night. So you would have to spend more time on them.

[This message has been edited by Avco (edited January 25, 2007).]

Re: Opening Weekend 27 Jan 2007 03:21 #14254

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks!

Well Star Trek and Star Wars has been requested by the community, so regardless those are the top of my list (I wish I could buy the Star Trek print).
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction