Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: help with art films and more

help with art films and more 11 Jan 2007 16:38 #14214

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I'm booking my winter art/lesser known/ whoops we missed it film series: starting next week: stranger than fiction-babel-bobby-the fountain-history boys-Volver-Perfume-Pan's Labryinth . I need one last pic but it is dated for March 16. What film am I missing that won't be on video by then or has just opened and is a must play?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: help with art films and more 11 Jan 2007 16:53 #14215

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Notes on a Scandal. Or, if you won't be playing Children of Men or Letters from Iwo Jima before then, either of those would be excellent choices.

Re: help with art films and more 11 Jan 2007 17:00 #14216

• Mike
  • Administrator
Thanks Larry! I went through some stuff and in between: booked Notes On a Scandal. Thanks for the confirmation. We'll play Chilren of Men as a regular run.

This series / we do one each fall and each winter/ does more to satisfy those art film lovers than anyone could ask. Cheers.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: help with art films and more 12 Jan 2007 12:21 #14217

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Just my opinion, but I thought Children of Men was awful.

Re: help with art films and more 13 Jan 2007 22:24 #14218

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thats your opinion and everyone has an opinion on films.
Children of Men has been well received from the critics and everyone I have talked to has thought it was great.
But you have to like those type of futuritic movies! There is an audience for it not a wide audience but there is an art following!
There was another thread that was talking about Midnight showings, this is a perfect movie for it!

Re: help with art films and more 15 Jan 2007 14:51 #14219

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Okay, I'll admit futuristic films are not a favorite of mine. But I did go see it thinking it was going to be good. I actually thought we were having an earthquake during one part of the movie. I even got nauseaus. I was so convinced we had an earthquake, when I got home I checked the earthquake site to verify. You can all laugh now. There was none. I guess the camera was that shaky. This is the first film to ever affect me in that manner. (I was sitting near the rear of the theatre, pretty far from the screen.)

How realistic is it for one person to push a car uphill on a muddy dirt road while in their stocking feet? Sorry, I don't usually pick movies apart, but...

I'm looking forward to Notes on a Scandal and Letters from Iwo Jima. I never did get to see The Last King of Scotland, but wanted to. I think it has come and gone from here.

Re: help with art films and more 16 Jan 2007 09:43 #14220

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
BurneyFalls, I disagree with your assessment of Children of Men. I saw it with a party of five this weekend, and we all agreed it was a thought-provoking and well done film. My wife just doesn't like pregnant-women-in-danger films in general, and she really didn't want to see such a depressing film, so she was the only one not to give it an enthusiastic recommendation. I can see how some wouldn't like it, though - bleak! And I think the car was not going up-hill, as the road was flat when it was pushed!

Mike, how does your winter missed it - art film series do in terms of box office? From what dates do you run it in the fall? Just curious. Thanks!

Re: help with art films and more 17 Jan 2007 01:44 #14221

• larryb7313
  • Junior Boarder
Me and my wife both saw this movie with a pretty full aduitorium. We both thought the movie was average at best. There were quiete a few people that were very turned off by the way the movie ended. To me it seems more mainstreem than art

Re: help with art films and more 17 Jan 2007 07:47 #14222

• Senior Boarder
How about Little Children? Also, did anyone see the Fountain? I must not be deep enough because that movie almost had me laughing out loud (I did contain myself, as I noticed others in the auditorium were tearing up).

Re: help with art films and more 17 Jan 2007 16:28 #14223

• Mike
  • Administrator
Anything that has bad guys, machine guns, and end of the world, and last baby on board is going to get me looking. For instance: The Professional ranks as one of my # 1 films. I always have check myself before I book action films like this lest I partake too often. Children o' Men has nearly 100% good reviews. Of course that does not mean all will like it.

As to my art series: we do 2 each year / one fall/ one winter: post summer and post Xmas. The attends can be good or bad. They love English speaking films with an accent. It does a lot to calm the "why don't you get good movies?" types.

We are now working on a one week 6 film fest with the same isea but cramming it in for one week only as a novelty.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: help with art films and more 22 Jan 2007 18:19 #14224

• djeunette
  • Fresh Boarder
what about painted veil? science of sleep?(not sure when that hits video) little children was good!or flannel pajamas,who killed the electric car, i saw the fountain! it was "deep" but really pretty good! jesus camp! a guide to recognizing your saints!, driving lessons, deliver us from eveil (really good documentary)! hope this helps!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction