Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jim Rankin Passes away

Jim Rankin Passes away 10 Jan 2007 20:22 #14178

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Cinema treasures is reporting that Jim Rankin has passed away at the beginning of the year. If I am not wrong Jim posted many eloquent essays on this site as well. Old school and very knowledgeable on all aspects of the business Jim will be missed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Jim Rankin Passes away 11 Jan 2007 10:49 #14179

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
A sad day indeed. The theatre has lost a great and most knowlegeable person who gave a great deal of time to write in-depth posts on various subjects. His knowledge on all aspects of theatre seemed endless. I, and I know many others as well, will miss his posts.

God bless you Jim, and may you reside for ever in the greatest of movie palaces in the sky.

Re: Jim Rankin Passes away 11 Jan 2007 16:42 #14180

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Is it jimor? I often do not know real names. I did a search in the forums: Before I say anything I want to be sure which Jim it is. There is an eloquent write up at www.cinematreasures.org
Tuesday / January 9, 2007
Site News
Beloved Member Jim Rankin Passes Away
posted by Ross Melnick at 7:02am
Longtime member and historic theater expert Jim Rankin has passed away.

We count ourselves among the lucky ones who had the opportunity to speak with Jim on many occasions over the years. As one of our earliest and most passionate users, the site has lost one of its most knowledgeable voices and one of its fiercest advocates. On a personal level, though, all of us who keep this site humming have lost something far more important — a good man and a good friend. Jim was always in our corner, looking out for our best interests, and keeping us and our theater pages in check.

His passion for Milwaukee and its theaters was also plain to see. If you haven’t had a chance to read some of his exquisitely detailed entries on the Pabst, Alhambra, and other Milwaukee theaters, please take a little time this morning to read some of his work.

Jim’s knowledge and theater entries truly set the gold standard.

As Louis Rugani tells us in his post, Jim will be laid to rest on Friday. Wherever you are during that day, please take a moment and reflect on his life and his contribution to the cause.

Jim’s loss will be felt today, tomorrow, and forever here at Cinema Treasures. The honor of knowing him, and the knowledge he shared with us all, are some of the lasting gifts of his life.

18 comments (369 views) | 0 trackbacks

Today's Newsreel
Mr. JIM RANKIN, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
posted by Louis Rugani at 7:00am
With the utmost regret, I must inform you of the passing of Mr. Jim Rankin of Milwaukee, a prolific contributor for decades to theatre history nationwide and in particular to the rich history of Midwestern theatres.

Jim may have been one of the world’s most knowledgeable experts on draperies and tassels, and was often called upon to share his knowledge with planned and ongoing restoration projects and scholarly journals on the topic.

Those who knew Jim as a friend - there are many - will attest to his old-fashioned courtliness and courtesy to all, including (and almost especially) the rawest neophytes with a newfound interest in the trappings of theatre lore.

Jim’s many postings here are often the only remnants of the rarest stories that surround so many of the long-lost and mostly-forgotten theatres of decades past.

Jim Rankin very often talked about the need to raise a voice on behalf of any endangered theatre - and yet he still managed to keep a practical mind towards all foreseeable eventualities and outcomes in each case.

A “realistic dreamer” was Jim.

Often vocal against the sort of elitism and “cliqueyness” that can creep into dedicated groups including theatre aficionados, Jim made certain his personal approach to all who met him was filled with all the personal warmth and welcome that is called for when making new friends with similar interests.

Though Jim rarely complained, his health has been poor for decades. His father died at sixty - Jim’s age, when he passed just before the New Year of 2007 of kidney failure, the result of diabetes.

Jim Rankin loved all theatres, including the most modest small-town houses that dotted the American landscape in the past century. But Jim really did favor ostentatiousness and opulence above all, and would joke, punctuated by his loud and memorable laugh, that the Roxy and San Francisco Fox were far too plain for his tastes.

Jim was very devout in his religious beliefs and lived his exemplary, too-brief life with a sense of dignity, honor and responsibility to himself, his friends and his interests.

I know that Jim will forever dwell among the beauty and majesty of his Heavenly Father’s mansions, to which our greatest and most magnificent earthly palaces pale in comparison.

=======================

Services for our brother Jim Rankin will be Friday, January 12th, 2007 at 7 PM at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses - 12165 Layton - West Allis, Wisconsin.

Michael Hurley
Impresario

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited January 11, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited January 11, 2007).]
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Jim Rankin Passes away 13 Jan 2007 16:10 #14181

• Mike
  • Administrator
Is Jim Rankin JIMOR?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Jim Rankin Passes away 15 Jan 2007 19:45 #14182

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Yes, Jimor is Jim Rankin. I had talked to him via the internet many times, exchanged phone numbers, received his email newsletters. He and a few friends of his were planning on driving up to our West Bend Theatre, an old single screen converted to a triplex. Unfortunately, he never was able to line up a ride. Now Jim is gone, and so is WB Theatre, as it was sold in November to our local competition, and shuttered. I will miss them both, equally well.

Re: Jim Rankin Passes away 15 Jan 2007 20:06 #14183

• Mike
  • Administrator
To see what was lost with Jim..... do a search here by putting in "jimor" and everything he wrote was informed, decent, wise, gentle, generous, thoughtful, and interesting. His passing reads slowly like the flickering credits of the films he and we show. Thank you Jim. We'll see you in the great lobby in the sky.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Jim Rankin Passes away 16 Jan 2007 14:54 #14184

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes we will all miss Jimor. Even though I am rather new here I could tell he was a great contributor to this site and I always read his posts.

Dave
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction