Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music

Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 12 Mar 2002 23:05 #14133

We have been using the TRN CD for our lobby and auditorium and I found out today that they are going out of business. Can anyone tell me what other companies are out there that supply CD music for theatres and what you use for your lobby music.
Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 13 Mar 2002 00:08 #14134

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We use NCN for both slides and auditorium music.They provide a new cd every month.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 13 Mar 2002 07:06 #14135

• DJ Denis
  • Senior Boarder
This is one of those areas where you should "think outside the box". We use a five-CD changer that plays throughout both lobbies as well as all three cinemas while people sit and wait for their movie to begin. We put everything in there from movie soundtracks (TITANIC, MASK OF ZORRO) to Phish, Counting Crows, and one of the hottest new Americana artists, Mark Erelli. It is a compendium of what each employee wants.
THE LAURIE JONES BAND
with special guest AMY FOX
and opening act IAN PARKER
in a benefit concert
Saturday, May 11th at 7:30 PM
Union Street Brick Church (126 Union Street, Bangor)

All proceeds benefit Community Radio WERU-FM

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 13 Mar 2002 09:14 #14136

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
DJ Denis:

You mean you haven't been stuck paying ASCAP fees to play that music? We use a Radio Shack FM tuner for our music.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 13 Mar 2002 11:12 #14137

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
What are the yearly ASCAP fees worth? I take it that you can play radio, but not recorded music?

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 13 Mar 2002 20:55 #14138

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I am not sure if ASCAP license is needed if you play radio stations as back ground entertainment. An ASCAP license varies on seating capacity--and in my eyes it is not cheap.

I have used MOVIE TUNES for a couple of years now and it beats paying for a license, They do give a new CD each month

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 14 Mar 2002 06:55 #14139

• DJ Denis
  • Senior Boarder
No -- we pay no licensing fees to ASCAP or anyone else. As we are not a "chain" theater, we use that to our advantage. We are currently spinning Kate Callahan, a folk / jazz artist from Connecticut as well as oldies compilations and the soundtrack to WHERE THE HEART IS. We actually do not have an FM tuner that works, so we play whatever CDs employees want to bring in (mixed with what the owners have). George Michael's SONGS FROM THE LAST CENTURY is a particular favorite, as there are jazzy cover versions on there of everything from "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime" to "Where And When".
THE LAURIE JONES BAND
in a benefit concert

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 14 Mar 2002 09:11 #14140

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Makes no difference whether you are a chain or independent. If the ASCAP rep comes in and hears/sees you playing CDs or cassettes and they don't have an ASCAP copyright license on file for your business they've got you to the tune of $50,000 PER SONG for copyright infringement. I know a restaurant/tavern up north from me that had NO ASCAP copyright license for their jukebox and the rep "played" 5 songs on it. ASCAP took them to court and won a $250,000 judgment against the business forcing them into bankruptcy. For several years here in the Pacific Northwest ACT 3 Theaters did not want to pay the steep ASCAP license fees for intermission music so they hired non-ASCAP (and non-union) musicians to record hours and hours of non-ASCAP music for use in their theaters. They sent memos to all their theaters stating only these non-ASCAP cds were to be played and nothing else.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 14 Mar 2002 11:47 #14141

• DJ Denis
  • Senior Boarder
That is a horrible situation. I guess it comes down to not enough inspectors and too wide a territory to cover.

We will undoubtedly continue to take chances, but it is another reason to keep mixing in our local artists with the ones promoted by large record labels.

It is just another example of how bureaucracy and greed of major corporations have contributed to feelings of fear and bland conformity. That explains why the multiplex an hour away from me has the local contemporary hits station playing before the movies.

Thanks, Ken, for the foreboding example!
THE LAURIE JONES BAND
in a benefit concert

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 14 Mar 2002 17:33 #14142

Record my own jingles, Download my own music and burn 'em myslef!

Andrew
Since 1987

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 14 Mar 2002 17:53 #14143

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
ASCAP has a way of finding you even in the most desilate areas, and there is no recourse as they always win in court. It does not matter how big or small the "label" is, ASCAP represents ALL professional performers. Not worth the risk when there are free legal ways to have a good background mix (i.e. Movietunes)

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 15 Mar 2002 06:48 #14144

• DJ Denis
  • Senior Boarder
In our case, I guess we are purists. Rather than allow some company to dictate what music that we listen to, which usually results in bland, overplayed tunes that anyone hears on their car radio or while shopping anywhere, we pick our favorite music and mix it up. I appreciate all of the warnings and the ideas about alternate forms of entertainment, but for our purposes, no prepackaged mailings are going to entertain our patrons.
THE LAURIE JONES BAND
in a benefit concert

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 25 Mar 2002 15:21 #14145

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
DJ Dennis, I respect your desire to fulfill the pre-show entertainment needs of your patrons, but you are litterally playing Russian roulette with a CD player!!

I work as a mobile DJ in Nashville, TN.. (primarily weddings, bar/bat mitzvah's, etc.) and even I have to send my check in to ASCAP once a month. Now, keep in mind one of the large skyscapers in Nashville has the letters "A.S.C.A.P." running down the side of it. I have been approached by an ASCAP field rep during a wedding reception in one of the larger hotels here in town, and was asked to provide my ASCAP license. Easily done, but it was a scare I wish not to repeat.

My parents own a small "mom & pop" campground about 30 miles east of Nashville, and my mother sits in the little campstore/office building all day selling bagged ice, LP gas, etc. While my mom works, she listens to the radio.... or at least she used to. Because the radio in the office is also direct-wired to the loud-speaker on a light pole near the pool, it was considerd by ASCAP that they were "re-broadcasting copy-righted music without an ASCAP license". Their choice for their "first-time offence" was to either disconnect the wiring going out to the pool, or face the penalties like Ken mentioned earlier.

To my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong), if you "re-broadcast" the copyrighted music from it's orginal source, it is a direct violation of ASACAP's copyright regulations. "Re-broadcast" includes jukeboxes, ceiling speakers, drive-in theatres small FM transmitters, etc.

I've even seen churches and high school bands get busted for making photo-copies of sheet music for their choirs and band students!!

ASCAP is the IRS of the music world... you don't want to mess with them

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 26 Mar 2002 08:41 #14146

A friend of mine once worked part-time as a field representative for ASCAP. He would go to places like bars or clubs, supposedly as a patron, write down the names of songs the band or DJ played, then ask them for their ASCAP license. He got thrown out of at least one place by unhappy management. It didn't matter, however, by that time he had them over a barrel and could report back to ASCAP so they could begin taking legal action against the offenders. I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there performing the same function.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 27 Mar 2002 08:30 #14147

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Russian roulette is the correct terminolgy as IF they enter your establishment they will prevail: there is no other course. They have endless case law and vistories and they're right. But that "if" they enter is a pretty huge "if" when it comes to some locations. From 79-84 I owned a bar and ASCAP came in and while we maintatined a banter for years he never forced me to pay. But the moment I sold out they liscensed the new guy on day one. The facts are that they can liscense everything in the world but th reality is they don't. And unlike Russian Roulette there's no splatter just a move over to Movietunes or radio or Muzak or liscense!

But the real reason to think about this is when you have multiple locations. Who do you want choosing the music and the volume? We are on our site and veto or adjust as needed. If you're not there do you want the popcorn guy playing his favorite gansta rap?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction