Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby I know its already been partially asked, but-
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I know its already been partially asked, but-

I know its already been partially asked, but- 02 Jan 2007 23:01 #14111

I'm currently a college student working on core subjects. I'm passionate about the film industry, and would like to attain a career within it.

First and foremost, I would want to be a director; but if that didn't work out, I would want to own a theater.

What can I do right now to help the achievement of this goal?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 02 Jan 2007 23:19 #14112

"I know its already been partially asked, but I'm still going to need to read the archives."

I taught myself using this website and FT.

We can't just make you smart enough to go ahead and start up now.
Since 1987

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 02 Jan 2007 23:33 #14113

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I would suggest getting a part time job at a cinema-this may help clarify the direction you want to pursue. Being a director and owning a theater are very distant cousins. I personally don't feel any connection to what goes on in Hollywood.
Owning a cinema is not glamorous, sexy, or easy-butit can be rewarding-Good Luck

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 03 Jan 2007 10:28 #14114

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44

First shot is directing but there's a lot of options there: producing, assisting, etc. etc.
1. go to school and learn the biz
2. take internships in nothing but film
3. work in nothing but film
4. work in a theatre so at least you understand this end
5. don't push the river
6. it's a big industry from film making to exhibition and there's a place for everyone

Good luck/ MIke

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 03 Jan 2007 11:42 #14115

I didn't mean to say that directing and theater management were comparable. All I meant was that my goal career would be to direct, and that if that didn't turn out, I think my next choice would be to own a theater.

I have worked part-time in a theater in the past, but only as an usher. Still, I have learned a decent amount from that.

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 03 Jan 2007 21:21 #14116

I've been employed at 3.5 theatres (don't ask) for the last 5 years. I'm still learning new things everyday.
Since 1987

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 04 Jan 2007 00:45 #14117

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Well im fixing to have my bachelors in communications. I suggest going through that type of college program first and see if it is something you really want to do.

I learned that I actually wanted to be a filmmaker in about the last 12 months. However, I am working on a project I am sending to Paramount that might get me a job.

The only reason I chose the movie theater biz, is to get me a chance to start from the ground up. (if that makes any sense).
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 04 Jan 2007 03:25 #14118

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Stick with trying to get your theater. There is a big world a lots of competition out there.
Everyone thinks they have the greatest screenplay or there the greatest director, there are thousands of other approaching studios everyday with that dream.
If you really want to work in Hollywood you have to get an agent, your not going to just fall in and go to the top.
Or start from the bottom pulling cables on a set of movie!

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 04 Jan 2007 14:38 #14119

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
You have to have an agent to submit your works. The studios will not take submissions without an agent. I work in the film making part of this business and worked the agency. (William Morris & CAA)

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 04 Jan 2007 22:52 #14120

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Well knowing people at a movie studio works well to.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 05 Jan 2007 11:44 #14121

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
Also knowing the man at the top of the mountain there is good too. That was my home studio before they moved me to the NYC office.

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 06 Jan 2007 07:06 #14122

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Avco e-mail me it is on my profile I would like to know what part of film making your into!
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: I know its already been partially asked, but- 06 Jan 2007 20:24 #14123

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
There are advantages to being in the exhibition biz on your way to the director biz. I spend some time at film festivals and it never ceases to amaze me how little the film makers know about the exhibition side of the biz. What I’m learning by being an exhibitor is how to get films out to the theaters without depending on the studios to do it. If I ever decide to change hats and go into filmmaking I will have a huge advantage over others going into it right out of college: I have been watching audiences for decades and know your artistic vision is NOT what people wanna see. Save that for your MFA project (However, CHUCK & BUCK was school final that got picked up for $2M). Write a movie people wanna see. Since you are not going to get any stars to be in your first film, you better become a good writer. Base your writing on concepts that work for the audience. LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE works because of a good story and concept. Alan Arkin doesn’t hurt, but the film would still work without the star power—though wouldn’t probably be distributed as widely. This is where owning a theater comes in handy. You get to see what works and know what kind of deals appeal to theater owners. You better do a good job of convincing me your film deserves 35% of the gross when I can get one from SPC at the same rate that has a national ad campaign, one-sheets, and an official website accessible from Fandango, IMDB, and RT. Right now I’m playing a loosely advertised film named F**K. A documentary about the F-word. It is a really good film that I, as a theater owner, will promote because I liked it and I know my public will love it if they give it a chance. I know this because I watched the audience the first time it played. No major studio would touch such a project.
Okay, I can run on for weeks about this. But this gives you an idea.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction