Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ice Maker

Ice Maker 26 Dec 2006 14:49 #14049

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
What's the opinion on ice maker capacity. I've got limited room and I'm looking at a undercounter unit that make approx 300lbs per day but only stores about 120lbs in the bin. I'll have the soda machine cooling plate/serving bin that will hold quite a bit.

The larger unit will have to fit into a small room that may not have enough air flow. I'm told it needs 6" on each side...

I have a smaller unit from the old theater that makes about 65lbs per day but only stores about 35 lbs.

Thanks

Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ice Maker 26 Dec 2006 17:58 #14050

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I don't know if you have this option, but the ice machines with remote condensers work really well. I have a 650 lb Manitowoc remote machine here.

The problem with my old Frigidaire cuber was heat buildup in the snack bar. When we got the new machine, it cured that. If you could get something like that, you wouldn't need the clearance for air flow, because all the heat would go outside... or maybe in another part of the theatre.

A friend of mine has a small Manitowoc under-counter unit. It's a good machine, but I don't get the feeling it recovers very quickly.

Re: Ice Maker 26 Dec 2006 21:15 #14051

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
You can go to this link:
http://www.efriedman.com/Links.html

Choose Manitiwoc and then Choose sizing guide and choose convenience stores. Of course it will probably recommend one that is 1-2 sizes bigger than you need but it will give you a start.

Good luck.

Mike

Re: Ice Maker 28 Dec 2006 11:14 #14052

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I concur with rodeojack, definetely get a remote unit with the condenser outside if at all possible. We too have a 600 lb/per day machine and it is air cooled, but since it's an all-in-one unit, it exhausts the heat right into the concessions area. In the summer months it makes it really hard on our concessions staff with both the heat from the machine and the noise. Once the air temperature in the concessions area heats up, the ice machine can barely keep up with the demand. Whenever our existing machine finally bites the dust, I'm going for the exterior remote condenser. Nothing is more gut wrenching than opening the lid to the ice machine and staring at the bottom of the empty 600 lb. bin 20 minutes before intermission.

I have had to on more than one occasion last summer call the local "ice man" to come out and deliver a load of ice on Saturday morning just to get us thru the upcoming shows that night.
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: Ice Maker 28 Dec 2006 13:50 #14053

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
2 things: I concur with remote condensers. Also: they are noisy as heck and you cannot hear. I will be moving our ice rig somehwhere!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Ice Maker 01 Jan 2007 11:30 #14054

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Two things I like.

#1 pellet ice rocks!!! My custoers love it and the machine makes ice almmost instantly.

#2 water cooled units solve the heat issues and are more efficient than air cooled. Also they are quite.

Re: Ice Maker 01 Jan 2007 11:46 #14055

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I have a water cooled unit and a 100 lb hopper. I never come anywhere close to emptying it. It does not heat up the concession stand (the pop machine does that just fine, but that's another story). It does flaked ice and my customers love it. I have had to get the unit serviced as I bought it used but, I think, it will serve me for many years and if it goes out I'm replacing it with as close to the exact same unit as I can.

"What a crazy business"

Re: Ice Maker 01 Jan 2007 14:28 #14056

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
The smaller units will melt off the stored ice faster that the big ones. I don't like having the ice machines running during the shows (cubers scare the hell outta everyone when they drop their load) so mine are on timers (35amp. Not cheap lamp timers). That way they fill at night and in the morning then are off when people are there. My small Manitowac can be full and melt off quickly in my theater that is not temp controlled when unoccupied. My big Manitowoc can fill and will still have ice even if it is in the triple digits in the building. The remote units are best for heat in the room, but are way spendy. You can get a good water cooled undercounter cuber for under $1000. When it comes to used machines, you will find the bigger ones are often cheaper and you might find they have to be running less than the small ones.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction