Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HORROR SHOW FOR MOVIE HOUSES

HORROR SHOW FOR MOVIE HOUSES 27 Dec 2006 03:29 #14039

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This was an article in yesterdays NY post!

December 26, 2006 -- America's incredible shrinking movie audiences will get even smaller next year and could leave several big theater chains on the investment scrap heap, analysts say.

Exhibitors have been struggling in recent months as the craze for video games, now entertainment's hottest sector, has siphoned away viewers, says a report by Standard & Poor's.

What's making matters worse, the report says, is that Hollywood is so desperate for cash flows to cover high-cost new flicks that studios are rushing out DVD versions too soon, cannibalizing their exhibitors' ticket sales - and wrecking their cash cows of concession goodies, such as $8 candy bars.

"Longer term, we remain concerned that attendance at movie theaters will decline if windows between theatrical release and video release shrink further," said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Tulip Lim.

"Because of the industry's relatively high operating leverage, even slight declines in attendance can significantly affect credit metrics," Tulip said.

The report says the shrinking window of release dates comes at a time of fierce competition between movie houses and the abundance of at-home entertainment alternatives that are winning over young audiences and their families at a record pace.
By PAUL THARP
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: HORROR SHOW FOR MOVIE HOUSES 27 Dec 2006 20:24 #14040

Uh, wasn't 2006 a fair year, especially after 2005?

I seem to recall a certain swashbuckling flick that became Disney's highest grossing film of all time...
Since 1987

Re: HORROR SHOW FOR MOVIE HOUSES 29 Dec 2006 04:26 #14041

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That it what I thought...after comparing to last year, numbers were up!

Re: HORROR SHOW FOR MOVIE HOUSES 29 Dec 2006 16:00 #14042

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Of course everyone on our end have been on the record all along that shrinking windows are bad for our biz. The concerns are accurte. All the new media of the last 12 years or so: internet/tivo/sat radio/gaming/dvr/dvd/dish network/cell phones/ipod/wii/netflix/etc. etc. has hurt. But fatal? We've adjusted and are doing fine.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: HORROR SHOW FOR MOVIE HOUSES 29 Dec 2006 23:04 #14043

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Remember that I am new to this side of the industry.

PPV Windows have been decreasing over the years for video stores as well (I own 5 stores) and as long as those windows stay at 30 days or longer it is fine for me. A movie is dead for most stores after 3-4 weeks.

It would seem to me that most movies are dead on film as well after 3-4 weeks. So with a 4 month window, I just don't see the big deal. This of course assumes that sub-run (which I know nothing about) can get films that are 8-10 weeks old. The one in my area does.

What threatens us the most is piracy (which I have been to Washington DC with the VSDA to lobby for tough actions), day and date dvd releases/PPV etc (sorry Mark Cuban).

I my brief 2 months in this business my take is that people are generally frustrated about the cost of going to the theatre. Especially when DVDs can be bought for $15 at WM or even $10 or less from me after 2 weeks. PLus add DVRs and TIVO and better TV programming and ......

Thanks

Mike
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction