Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Newspaper Advertsing Problem???
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newspaper Advertsing Problem???

Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 28 Dec 2006 01:08 #14027

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
My local newspaper has what I believe some interesting ways to place theatre ads.

Normally there are 5 theatres advertising in it. IMO, all the ads should be right next to each other.

At least once or twice a week some interesting things occur. The worst placement that I have seen happened a couple of days ago: Two ads were below the fold at the bottom of columns 1 & 2. A 4th ad was right above the fold in column 4. The last two side by side in columns 5 & 6 a couple of inches above the ad in column 4.

Is it too much to ask that all of the theatre ads be placed side by side?

How about all ads above or below the fold? It is my beleive that some people may fold the paper in half to keep it around for later. My theatre has often been the only ad on the other side of the fold.

So, I am being too picky?

Thanks

Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 28 Dec 2006 04:35 #14028

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
hmm..it is a bit strange..here we are the only cinema in town and we pay for our ad to be on the same page in the same spot each week..maybe ask if you can get yours done a certain way or indeed ask if all the cinema ads can be put in a clump for ease of reading..you don't necessarily have to say youre one of the advertisers..you could just be Joe Public if youre worried. You'd think they would want them together anyway so the page looked neat!! Sorry I can't be of any more help than that

Re: Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 28 Dec 2006 06:05 #14029

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
Most newspapers build their pages by the size of the ad, not the type of business. They (usually) start at the bottom right corner with the largest ad and build them by size up to the top left corner, fitting in any articles around the ads.
There's only 2 theaters that adveritise in our local weekly and a lot of the time, they are not even on the same page, let alone next to each other and that is because there is a large size difference between our ad and our competition's.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 28 Dec 2006 13:48 #14030

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
At the very least: all ads should be on the same page. WE had a situation where one paper said they could not guarantee where we would be. So I sad: I can guat=rantee we will not be in your paper if you cannot guarantee us the same spot every time. Ever since then: no problem. We dropped our ad in one of the 7 papers we advertise in and not one person noticed it.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 28 Dec 2006 18:05 #14031

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We have a recurring problem with our local paper.

Every so often one or more of the movie ads will be placed other than on the movie page with the rest of the theatres. Often it has to do with what article is running on the page with the movie ads and whether the paper wants to edit the article so as to fit all the ads on together.

A couple of years ago I found my ad - all by its lonesome self - had been moved from Page 26 (the movie page) to Page 12 (the obiturary page). Not surprisingly I "died" that night.

Before I called the advertising department to complain I did some investigation among the editorial staff. Turns out that the featured article on the movie page that day was a recipe for "jerk chicken". The author of said article had made a stink when they wanted to cut a couple of paragrahs out so as to fit all the movie ads on one page. So I got "jerked" around by moving my ad to the obit page.

When I complained the paper, the advertising department pointed to the clause in the advertising contract that allows them to place whereever they wanted to. When I threatend to discontinue my advertisng I at least got a credit for that day's ad but it is a recurring problem for one theatre or another at least every couple of weeks or so.

You should be happy if your ads are at least on the same page and in the entertainment section.

Re: Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 28 Dec 2006 19:05 #14032

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
About 12 years ago, I had the exact same problem... my ad showing up in unrelated sections.

I did two things. First, I made a point to go to the ad manager's office... in person... each time my ad showed up with a problem. In addition to complaining about my perceived poor treatment, I pointed out that it seemed curious that the chain theatres didn't seem to have the problems I was having, and asked why no Regal or AMC theatre ever seemed to show up in random places. After the third such documented visit, I told the ad manager that on the next problem, I'd send the whole thing, paperwork and all to his boss, asking for answers. It happened, I mailed the complaint, the problem vanished.

Second, after several problems with composition errors (a different, unionized department, seemingly not accountable to the ad manager), I started emailing my ad to the paper in PDF form. All they have to do is open the email and place the ad... pretty simple, and it's eliminated most problems.

I still have the occasional problem (maybe once a year) where the paper just flat gets the insertion order wrong and runs an old ad, but nothing much more than that.

What's sad about all this is that we don't even subscribe to the paper anymore. It's become one of the last places our customers look for movie info, and a problem isn't noticed like it would have been 10 years ago.

One thing for sure though... I'm glad the newspaper people don't control the internet.

Re: Newspaper Advertsing Problem??? 29 Dec 2006 15:12 #14033

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have always placed newspapers in the same category as lawyers and politicians. And that ain't good.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction