Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Theater rental Birthdays

Theater rental Birthdays 23 Dec 2006 21:23 #14012

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,

I was wondering if I want to rent out theater for parties. Can I advertise to the interested parties that they provide the DVD and we can turn our theater into there private viewing room.
Now I Rent the theater and with a charge of $5.00 per child "POPCORN and DRINK" package. They Bring a cake or cupcakes... Also add even add there child's name to our marque: HAPPY BIRTHDAY (Name)!
It is my theatre is that possible!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 24 Dec 2006 02:25 #14013

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes, you can do that, but you still have to pay film rental on whatever you show. Any public performance requires that you pay film rental.

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 24 Dec 2006 02:27 #14014

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, you can do that, but you still have to pay film rental on whatever you show. Any public performance requires that you pay film renta

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 24 Dec 2006 12:22 #14015

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Oh cause I got that info from a freind who has been doing this for years and never questioned. Doesn't hide the fact,in fact they advertise on ther website and in the paper.
They rent the theatre so they can celebrate parties. People pay the $5.00 for popcorn and soda and they are equiped with a projector and DVD player.
Her claim she is just charging for popcorn and soda and a set and not charging for the DVD!
That her booker said it was okay as long as she was charging minimal just for popcorn and soda an not a fee for the movie.
She also opens the theatre during the morning and sells breakfast items and projects CNN on the big screen.
Is this all no no no's

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 24 Dec 2006 17:47 #14016

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I was always told. If the DVD/Video or TV broadcast was not present. Would you still draw a customer base? In other words are those what draws customers? Or the other things your selling? If it's the TV broadcast, DVD or Video then they should be getting their cut. And even if they are not the draw, it's still a gray area. You need to purchase or obtain a license (ASCAP) or licensed (Movietunes) music to play in a theatre. And I have yet to have a custoemr show up for the between shows music.

There is really no clear cut answer on these copyright issues where you don't have to pay someone. I figure if a DVD starts off with "Licensed for Home Viewing only" tag that pretty much sums it up for that DVD.

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 24 Dec 2006 18:14 #14017

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Yes, they are all no no's.

You must have a license agreement and pay appropriate fees to show a DVD, video tape, or TV program to any group of people OUTSIDE of your home.

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 26 Dec 2006 01:52 #14018

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
So how do we compete with the Lions, VFW, Grange, American Legion, churches, etc. who now all have video projectors with big screens and are playing anything and everything from DVD movies to televised concerts and sporting events without paying anyone anything?

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 26 Dec 2006 11:08 #14019

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
I've wondered the same thing, why do they get to show those events without paying anything? if it's the "Non-Profit" part that helps them, I'm sure many of us could nearly qualify? <Grin>

I know churches show the new Veggie Tales off dvd and such all the time and pay no one.

tony.

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 26 Dec 2006 11:30 #14020

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Who is to know? How do they know? For one thing: media companies, distribs, etc. use clipping services (and I'll bet they're not far from sophisticated web surfing spiders and bots) that check ads and look for violations. That said: do they really care? Apparently not enough as many theatres do exactly as described and with the growth of vid projectors and dvd sales/rentals the toothpaste is out of the tube folks! When it was all 35mm with depots , etc. they could control the ,ow end stuff. But now? No way. That does not mean they won't come after you, they can, but will they? Highly unlikely.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Theater rental Birthdays 26 Dec 2006 12:01 #14021

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I think it is just trickier for a theatre. The distributors watch us more, check answering machines, web sites etc. Than they do trying to track down all these other organizations and what they are doing. Also a lot depends on your location, and if you have a competitor who might rat you out.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction