Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Agents and Promotional Materials
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Agents and Promotional Materials

Agents and Promotional Materials 21 Dec 2006 10:32 #13975

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Can anyone suggest a good agent that is affordable? The last tenant of the building told me his agent but I dont know if I want to use her or not.

She charged 35 dollar per screen per week and is charged every Friday. On top of that there is a 500 dollar start up charge. I just am trying to find some alternatives.

Now I alos need to know how I can get promotional materials in the form of posters, tshirts, popcorn containers, and etc. The present agent charges 25 dollars extra a month to do this.

And now that I am thinking of it, what happens if you show a movie sub run and there are like 10 people that see the movie during its stay? Are you responsible for paying something for that?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 21 Dec 2006 13:07 #13976

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Oh yes--you pay and pay---been many a week that ticket sales did not cover booking fees or shipping---let alone payroll, utilities, taxes, insurance, ect, ect.

All part of being in business

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 21 Dec 2006 17:09 #13977

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Ok so lets say no one sees the movie at all. I am fine with the booking agents fees, but what would I pay to a distributor?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 21 Dec 2006 17:13 #13978

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Chances are someone will come. But even if nobody shows up, you will have to pay a minimum amount. The minimums I have paid in the past are between $150 and $350.

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 21 Dec 2006 18:32 #13979

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I am blessed by being in a state ( I believe there are only a couple states that has this--do to great lobbyists) that does not allow the distributors to charge a guarantee (which typically is between $150 and $350) of course if running an older or subrun they will only sell as "flat" vs 35% which is a way of getting around the law--but on a percentage movie it boils down to % of 0 is 0

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 21 Dec 2006 23:54 #13980

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
PA is one of those states that doesn't charge a guarantee.
It makes a difference!

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 22 Dec 2006 01:05 #13981

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
is that in Louisiana? So if people show up they charge 35% and if no one shows up there is a minimum fee?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 22 Dec 2006 11:28 #13982

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
No. There is a minimum fee, up to the point that your percentage equals it. If the percentage exceeds the minimum, then that is what you'd pay. 35% of your boxoffice gross is an average (for 2nd run). Some companys will want 40%. First run is much more. If you hold the film over for extra weeks, the percentage might eventually drop below 35%, but maybe not... especially if you DO make money with the film. The final percentages are frequently "settled" after they see what you make, so there are cases where you can go into a film, not knowing what you'll actually pay until it's all over.

For a while... maybe your first year or so, expect to pay the film companys "up front". They'll want to receive this "advance" before they'll ship you the film. The amount may seem arbitrary, but it's loosely based on what they think you might make in the first week or two. If you make less than the advance (and the advance is more than the minimum), then they'll credit the difference toward the next film of theirs you book. If the advance doesn't cover the rent, you'll be expected to make up the difference... possibly in cash, and usually within 7 to 14 days.

It costs the studios money to store and process a print for your use. They figure if you can't at least cover that "minimum", it's not worth the bother, and it's just as well to let the print sit on the rack. Trying the rationale that "even a little something is better than nothing" won't work.

In areas where minimums are allowed, the studios will sometimes "forget" to charge them. However, that's not usually something that's on the table for discussion.

The point though, is that this conversation revolves around a bottom-line "what if". If you're worried about bringing in so few people that this is a concern, you'll have far bigger problems on your hands... like having enough left over to pay your power, gas, staff, rent, insurance, etc.

Minimums are a fact of life... at least around here. Power and gas companies have minimum "meter charges". The phone company charges you a base fee, even if you never pick the phone up. The garbage company will make a show of emptying your dumpster, even if there's nothing in it... and you'll still pay the monthly fee. This stuff is not negotiable. You need to add it all up and then figure out if you can bring in enough people to cover the base costs.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited December 22, 2006).]

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 22 Dec 2006 21:58 #13983

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
it is definately do'able., but it needs work. I am writing the business plan now so Im having to get all these factors as I go (by the way if anyone has a good sample plan and is willing to share that would be great.)
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Agents and Promotional Materials 23 Dec 2006 14:45 #13984

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
You might want to check the archives--I do believe I read alot related to all this in the past.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction