Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bomb threat!

Bomb threat! 21 Mar 2001 09:34 #1397

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Fer cryin' out loud! Luckily I was not present for this. Last night a customer comes out of the ladies room. "There's a bomb threat on the wall." Sure enough... we have a chalkboard and written there... "Theres a bomb in this thertare." That's their bum spelling not mine. All in very nice type. So what a movie place to do? Nothing? We end up calling the cops. And after long consult shut down the movies one by one and run everyone out after the cops take their name/address... just the facts. Now we need a "bomb threat policy". Last year there was (no joke) 37,000 bomb threats in the USA at schools. And how many actual bombs? Zero. So our policy is this. We'll briefly interrupot the show, read a prepared statement, and anyone who wants to leave can get a pass, but the show goes on.

I said to my wife, "We don't have a bomb problem. We have a bomb threat problem. There are no bombs. Anyone who wants to bomb you will just does it. Haven't these people seen any movies?" For instance: did the car bomber in Traffic leave a note? "There's a bomb under this car!"

By the way: The Mexican and Exit Wounds and Down To Earth were playing at the time so when someone said' There's a bomb in this theatre she said, "No! Really!"

What's your bomb policy?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bomb threat! 22 Mar 2001 08:27 #1398

• GREGBORR
  • Gold Boarder
Bomb Policy? Well we don't have one, and hopefully will never need one.

Nice spelling of theatre, apparently the same educational system that gets 37,000 bomb threats a year was spending too much time evacuating schools and not enough time teaching English...

Re: Bomb threat! 22 Mar 2001 22:05 #1399

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
My "bomb" policy is to get rid of them on Thursday and hope Friday's replacement is a hit. Sorry, that was too easy.

Re: Bomb threat! 23 Mar 2001 13:39 #1400

It's nice to joke guys but if your confronted with the problem its just one big pain in the butt. What's worse is that once it happens to you your open for the so-called copy-cats. This could discourage people from attending your theater and cause you all kinds of other grief. Its a shame that that some people think that this is a great way to gain recordnition. I think it just plain SUCKS!

Re: Bomb threat! 23 Mar 2001 14:18 #1401

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I'm with Rialto and that the type of BOMB problem I can deal with! I hope it just ges away. After we came up with our policy someone said..... "Yeah but what about little kids?" Forgettaboutit!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Bomb threat! 26 Mar 2001 20:04 #1402

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't have a policy, but I did get a bomb threat via telephone one night during a nearly packed house of "Runaway Bride". I thought I recognized the caller's voice when he said, "This is the Runaway Bomber. I left a bomb in your theatre." I just said, "Oh yeah, and where might it be?" He said, "It's in the broom closet under the balcony." I knew my three options were to evacuate and search, search without evacuation, and basically do nothing. I elected to not evacuate, but called the Sheriff's Office. The Sergeant who responded was pretty cool. He told me if there was a bomb planted in the building and it went off, it better be a good one, because his wife was in the audience and he didn't want to live with her maimed, and bitching about it the rest of his life! We did search the closet and didn't find anything suspicious. The patrons were not advised and had no clue anything was wrong. After the movie we searched a little more thoroughly and still found nothing. I have not had another incident.

Yes, that was a gamble that maybe shouldn't be taken, but there are some warped kids and young adults that could cause major havoc to your business if it becomes a practice to evacuate.

My best advice is to evaluate each threat/incident individually rather than have a strict policy.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction