Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Startup Help Please?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Startup Help Please?

Startup Help Please? 12 Dec 2006 19:13 #13921

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
I went back to the theater to get some better photos.
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/cheapcinema/

check out the stuff dealing with sound. We think the problem with the smell of the place is the seats, however I think it is the nasty carpet on the walls. How much do you think it would be to redo all of the curtains in a theater? This is a 20,000 sqft building with 3 screen.

I want to: redo the main lobby (paint and clean), replace all carpet everywhere that is needed (can I take out the carpet in the auditorium and paint?

Without anyone in the room, there is absolutely no echo, and sounds incredible. There is tons of space and with TLC it will look good.

Here is the closing question, is budget theaters still functionable in this society? There are 2 1st run plexes in the city with 8 dollar tickets.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Startup Help Please? 12 Dec 2006 21:18 #13922

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
Man, drapes are not cheap. I know a great installer though. Yes, it will be your seats that stink. Seat cleaning will cost you about .25-.50 a seat. Yes, my company has several sub-runs that are gold mines.

Re: Startup Help Please? 12 Dec 2006 21:24 #13923

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
seats have been cleaned 4 times in the past 5 months
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 12 Dec 2006 22:01 #13924

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
We had this former Cineplex 6 plex that was a miss step for them. When they opened it it ran first run and did well, for a time. But soon other nearby locations drained the business from it. So during the last year it was open, it was run as a $2.00 house. It did well, but it brought out the worst people. If you think your seats stink. This theatre was so worn after they closed it. You could not enjoy the films there. They had installed good projection equipment and sound systems.
So be prepared for the people, there is a very small market left for budget theatres before the very short video release window happens. Depending on when you open your doors. Budget theatres are a good place for homeless people can spend time inside. Nothing againist homeless people but it can open alot of other problems for your operation. There was another theatre I worked at before the chain sold it and it became a budget theatre. Street people would spend the entire day in the theatre and there was a Vice problem with people doing BJ's to people in the theatre.

Re: Startup Help Please? 12 Dec 2006 22:21 #13925

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Remember I am walking distance to a university with about 10,000 undergrads. Homeless isnt really a problem in this area, matter of fact I have never seen any.

The seats are a problem because they are from 1980ish and therefore have never been cared for. I dont know what the smell is coming from to tell you the truth. It was just a guess.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 00:01 #13926

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
I agree, bums aren't a problem in Lake Charles. Well, I just had my theater remediated twice. Once right after hurricane Rita and once last month. Mold can grow and create a god awful smell. Mold is very tough to get rid of. You basically have to strip out every auditorium, cut the infected sheetrock, dehumidify, and run air scrubbers. This is very expensive and time costing. You can always rent the dehumidifiers and air scrubbers. Run them in your auditoriums for 48-96 hours. Make sure you close off all openings(doors, portholes)with plastic. This will be cheaper and help dissolve your smell problem.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 00:11 #13927

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
That place is pretty cool. Is that a wood floor? I installed wall curtains in two medium sized auditoriums for about $1500 for material--total. Volunteers helped me install them. There's a knack to hanging them straight.

My theatres smelled pretty bad when I bought them. I think changing the carpet and painting the lobby walls will be a big help. Curtains and seats would help also. People probably smoked in there years ago. That, popcorn smell, and everything that gets spilled on the carpet and seats over years of time will cause nasty odor. (You will be amazed how badly your clothes and hair smell after a shift in the concession stand.)

Is there any water damage? Didn't see anything obvious in the photos. Those platters have held alot of film.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 00:15 #13928

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Yes they have seen their share of films. No water damage that I can tell, but there are TONS of stains on the curtains (Can that even come out).

Question is, is there hope for the curtains or what?

And no that is not wood floors (i wish). It is actually cement that is so stained with food and drink spills. I dont think these people ever heard of a mop.

[This message has been edited by juise15 (edited December 13, 2006).]
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 00:18 #13929

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
Make sure, when you hang your new drapes, the pleets face the screen. $1500 is a good price for drapes. Labor is another price though, good thing you had volunteers.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 00:24 #13930

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
Are the stains at the top of the drapes? If so, you have had water damage of some type. Mostly rain was going through the flashing of your roof. This is commom in auditoriums that have a extorior wall with drapes on the interior side. Also, if your ceiling tiles are discolored or swollen then you have had leaks there too. Its hard to believe you haven't had any water damage living in an area where rain is religous.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 00:26 #13931

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
Also, you can't wash drapes. They have a flame retardant chemical in them. Once you wash them, they a not fire resistant any more.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 01:38 #13932

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Another possible source of your smells might be the ceiling tiles.

I'm wondering who owns those video games in the lobby?

Some more observations on the booth equipment I see in your pictures:

That poor Eprad Co-operator has the fuseholders hacked up and missing lenses on the pushbuttons. Where is the front cover to it?

The other automation units are RGM brand out of Florida. These were not very good units. Some were sold with a National Cinema Supply nameplate on them.

One of your sound sytems is also made by RGM Industries. It's at least 20 to 25 years old.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 10:27 #13933

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Yea stuff is old, the co operator actually has a replacement sitting on the floor (but I didnt get to look at it).

Here is the deal on the roof. We had a hurricane rip some of it off leaving holes. Insurance paid to have roof fixed, and new tiles installed. But I dont think they paid for cleaning of any curtains. Is it true that I cant clean them? I would think they would make something for that.

I am ripping the sound out of the 2 mono rooms. I was wondering if anyone saw these picture:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/cheapcinema/101_0763.jpg http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/cheapcinema/101_0762.jpg http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/cheapcinema/101_0760.jpg

What are your takes on this?

I see where I am going to have to pull the seats completely out to get stuff fixed. A friend of mine used to renovate and close theaters for a living and showed me the buildup around the seats and in the creases where normal cleaning wouldnt get (Pretty Nasty).

Here are the speakers I think, http://www.audioheritage.org/images/altec/extracts/1975-vott.jpg

[This message has been edited by juise15 (edited December 13, 2006).]
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 11:00 #13934

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If you want to go full stereo in the mono houses and also be able to easily add a digital sound format, you should look around for a new or used Smart model 6, Model 7, or Model 8 processor. They are decent economy processors that fit your budget.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 15:14 #13935

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I am ripping the sound out of the 2 mono rooms. I was wondering if anyone saw these picture:

Maybe I missed the announcement. Did you actually take the theatre over?
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction